Zay Jones Had Knee Surgery and is Out for the Spring - Back to Practice without Restrictions

59 minutes ago, Estro said:

Zay Jones career w/ the Bills:

Bills trade the 44th and 91st picks to select Zay Jones at #37 & also get back pick #149.

The next 2 WR's selected were JuJu Smith-Schuster and Cooper Kupp at #62 & #69, respectively.

Zay Jones (2017): 27 rec. for 317 yds & 2 TD's

Juju Smith-Schuster (2017): 58 rec. for 917 yds & 7 TD's

Cooper Kupp (2017): 62 rec. for 869 yds. & 5 TD's

Zay has a terrible case of the drops all season and all but admits his confidence is struggling

Zay has an offseason shoulder surgery

Zay's arrested in a scary, bizarre incident at an LA hotel

Zay has an unspecified knee surgery

About as poor a start as any Bills fan could've imagined.  Too bad too, because the next 2 WR's that went off the board look so much better than Zay right now.

It's not unspecified, he hurt it when his brother tackled him.

I honestly didn't have any expectations for Zay myself. Looked at him more like a long shot. You know with the whole freak out thing. 

Edited by Lfod

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm higher on Jones than a lot of folks here.   Lots of rookie receivers struggle, so I don't think that what we saw in 2017 is necessarily what we're going to see in 2018 and going forward.   He showed several good things last year, and I get the sense that he's really committed to getting the job done, that he's the kind of guy McD likes.   The drops were horrible, but both in college and some his later games last season, he's shown he can catch the ball.  

I'm with you. This games moves much faster than college, and he needs it to slow down a little bit, and that comes with time.  I'm not saying he's going to be a HOF'er. I'm just saying it's completely premature to write him off.

41 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Chris Brown said, "Better now than later."  My question: "Why not January or February instead of now?"

+1.    In the absence of Jones making his full medical profile public, we should certainly assume the worst.

I call BS on this. I would not be surprised if their psychs and PR departments are doing a bit of damage control and using this as a way to buy time and try and get him mentally back where he needs to be. 

The timing is odd, and I know things like this do happen behind closed doors. I am not at all saying this is for sure, but I smell a rat...

5 hours ago, Irv said:

I think he's going to be ready for the season. 

BNblitz-Zay-Jones-11-Bills-06-1260x719.thumb.jpg.c4e1067ad307f8a556bb244fa3135add.jpg

Instead of “deflate gate”, we may get caught up in “magnet gate”. 

Either way, he should be able to beat press coverage! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The Bills seem to do this frequently (moving up a handful of slots) and I'm not a fan of the tactic.

I don't mean moving up from 21 to 7 to get your QB of the future.....that's different.   It's locking into one guy in the 2d/3d round and giving up valuable assets when a guy might have been there anyway, but if not it's hardly a franchise changing event, and there are plenty of other needs/guys you could draft anyway.

Maybe it hasn't been that often, but you think about Ragland, Graham, Jones and those were wastes of extra picks.

Trading up is something both Whaley and then McD/Beane have done multiple times.  In 2 drafts, Beane and/or Coach McD have moved up 4 times, 3 to draft a non-QB.

I've criticized Whaley for the reach up to get Watkins as a bad use of draft resources. Yet, BB/McD have moved up those three times to draft Edmunds for a third to move from 22 to 16, and last year with JOnes (another 3rd) to move from 44 to 37) and then to take Dawkins at 63 (75th and 2 5th round picks). 

We're going to see how it turns out, but early returns for Jones aren't good.  And I'm not talking about what was clearly a mental health issue earlier this off-season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

For the sake of pete, he’s just missing time now - nothing about missing preseason or regular season.

A lot of typical overreaction on this thread.

Exactly.  He’s given fans nothing to worry about so far in his career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Wasn't it the knee that was injured on that play in the Jets game, where he'd beaten his man going deep and the defender tripped him to prevent a big gain?   He was never right after that game.

Why wouldn’t they have ID’d that and set up the surgery right after the season then?  Strange. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Instead of “deflate gate”, we may get caught up in “magnet gate”.

Those are anvils, not magnets. I think the implication is that he has "heavy hands" and can't catch.