Did Brandon have a minor stake in the team?

I'm assuming if this happened, it would have take place when Ralph was still alive, but at some point was Brandon given a very small stake in the team?  If he did, I would guess his share went away when the Pegula's bought the team?

Anyone have any insights regarding this?

I believe he was given a small percentage when Ralph passed, but that would have been bought up by the Pegulas when they bought the team.

Ralph gave small stakes to a few of his cronies that had been with the team to ensure they wanted to get the most for it as that was money for them also.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Oh, it was a stake all right; a MIStake.

Other than making that plural, hard to argue against that. 

(But I was expecting a meat joke, so I erred there too.) 

Had seen him reported as "managing partner" a couple of times, which implies an ownership stake.  Of course, he likely was the source behind that, so no idea whether that was true & accurate.

• Haha (+1) 1

I would imagine that he received a payout when the team was sold. Additionally, he may have had a small stake. I have a friend that has a small stake in an NHL franchise as part of his compensation package. He dreads the cash calls though because his net worth is minuscule in proportion to everyone else involved. 

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Other than making that plural, hard to argue against that. 

(But I was expecting a meat joke, so I erred there too.) 

Was it a sausage that sizzled in the bun? 

11 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I believe he was given a small percentage when Ralph passed, but that would have been bought up by the Pegulas when they bought the team.

Ralph gave small stakes to a few of his cronies that had been with the team to ensure they wanted to get the most for it as that was money for them also.

Someone told me awhile back that he had half a percent.  If so his cut would have been about $7 million at the time of the sale.

13 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I'm assuming if this happened, it would have take place when Ralph was still alive, but at some point was Brandon given a very small stake in the team?  If he did, I would guess his share went away when the Pegula's bought the team?

Anyone have any insights regarding this?

He had no ownership stake in the Bills

jw

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

I thought that would be against league rules, that the franchises can only be owned by one person (except for the Packers, who were grandfathered in), right?

I, too, seem to recall that Brandon got a small piece from Mr. Wilson. 

I don't know the league rule, but I'm pretty sure it isn't necessary that the "owners" (the Pegulas, the Maras, the Jerry Joneses) own 100%.   I'm pretty sure a few celebrities had (and maybe still have) small pieces of the Dolphins.   I'd guess that the rules require that the majority owner have total control - the league wants to deal with one or two owners and not worry about whether the owners can get the votes of their minority partners.    All a guess on my part, but that's likely how it works.

As for Brandon, either the Pegulas insisted he sell out to them at the time they bought the team, or they insisted that he sign an agreement saying he WOULD sell out when his employment ended.   Either way, I'd guess that if Brandon had a piece, he doesn't any longer.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

I thought that would be against league rules, that the franchises can only be owned by one person (except for the Packers, who were grandfathered in), right?

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I, too, seem to recall that Brandon got a small piece from Mr. Wilson. 

I don't know the league rule, but I'm pretty sure it isn't necessary that the "owners" (the Pegulas, the Maras, the Jerry Joneses) own 100%.   I'm pretty sure a few celebrities had (and maybe still have) small pieces of the Dolphins.   I'd guess that the rules require that the majority owner have total control - the league wants to deal with one or two owners and not worry about whether the owners can get the votes of their minority partners.    All a guess on my part, but that's likely how it works.

As for Brandon, either the Pegulas insisted he sell out to them at the time they bought the team, or they insisted that he sign an agreement saying he WOULD sell out when his employment ended.   Either way, I'd guess that if Brandon had a piece, he doesn't any longer.  

Yeah, I believe there is a little difference between ownership interest and controlling interest.

If he had one half of one percent I doubt there was an control or voting associated with it...not that it would make that much of a difference at that level of ownership, anyways.