Kim Pegula on a New Stadium: "I Don't Even Know If We Can Get There"

9 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Lambeau went through an almost 300 million Reno. Has New Era come close to that?

No. 

But you can keep button mashing hoping to enact M. Bison’s Devils reverse if you want.

Ill be over here with a full power bar.

Obviously we would need to put some serious cash into the stadium, but people are acting like it’s gotta be a new stadium or bust. 

I don’t agree. And don’t you dare use street fighter against me! 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm always amused by these stadium conversations.  Everyone wants something nice so long as they don't have to pay for it. This does not make Bills fans cheap.  It makes them normal! All of this will be worked out in time. Lots of comments will be made in public and in private, the dance will be danced, and a solution will be found. The universe of solutions will include renovating New Era (again), building a New Stadium (somewhere), or moving the Team out of Buffalo (eventually). I can promise you this...the final solution will come down to money! How much and from what source? And again, that doesn't make anyone evil or cheap...it makes them normal. In the meantime, enjoy the dance.

Guest Mike147
27 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Obviously we would need to put some serious cash into the stadium, but people are acting like it’s gotta be a new stadium or bust. 

True, but the team can't keep using a band-aid solution to the stadium. Eventually they will either have to replace the stadium or do a significant renovation (i.e. like Chicago, Green Bay and Miami), otherwise the situation would become untenable. Perhaps the Pegulas can ignore any potential pressure from the NFL and ride out the storm in an ageing stadium that goes against the grain, but they are business people at heart and if another city offers to build them a palace like Las Vegas have for the Raiders it would be hard to ignore not only for them but for the NFL as well because they will likely make a push for it to happen. 

Hopefully this statement from Kim Pegula is just a warning shot and gives the people in power the incentive they require to get something done here in Buffalo because if this city and local area lose the Bills it would be a huge blow to the local economy. San Diego will survive because it's a hot spot for holiday makers, business people, and events. Buffalo on the other hand would suffer if the Bills left and fingers crossed the people in power know that and get something done be it significant renovations or a new stadium. 

38 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Well most people are like Dhalsim.Terrible.

I’m proud of the pegs!! We, nor any franchise for that matter, needs a new stadium. Attendance is down across the league (reasons too many to list here). Why build??? NFL seems to be on a short life span anyway

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Sure I can. The Chargers wanted to move.  Plain and simple.   The value of the team increased a lot with move to LA.

But They didn’t have to move.  They could have got a new stadium in the County.  

Yes they did. Their stadium was horrendous. And no they couldn't have got one where they did. That was the point of them moving

21 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I don't want to hear how Buffalo fans can't afford the modern NFL. Russ Brandon made it his job to do that.

They weren't/aren't charging the "modern NFL" ticket prices. Just paid damn near $100 a pop for nosebleeds for the Bills @ Texans game this October. 

The Bills are going nowhere. This is a toy for the Pegulas. Like he said when he bought the Sabres "If I wanted to make money, I'd go back to buying oilfields/" [paraphrased]. Not that they don't want to make money from the team(s), but they're not gonna leave a city they've already invested so much in to make a little more money.

Didn't all the other perspective owners, for ex. Tom Golisano, have plans to build a new stadium in Buffalo?

If the Pegula's really don't plan on building a new stadium this feels like a pretty big deal.

Edited by Klaista2k

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that it is primarily local (but some of both). The Bills need to create new area to monetize (like they did the gates a few years ago). A new stadium gives them a clean slate to create new areas, amenities and pricing. 

That’s why I value your expertise. A creative marketer can create revenue producing experiences for the fans. I still think corporate  dollars are critical though, and I worry about our market being tapped out in that regard.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s why I value your expertise. A creative marketer can create revenue producing experiences for the fans. I still think corporate  dollars are critical though, and I worry about our market being tapped out in that regard.

Yeah, I think that locally a lot of the corporate market is pretty tapped. They still have their regional efforts and they can leverage the Pegula business relationships. We had a minority owner here that was very influential. The day after he bought in the team sold something like 17 suites and 100 floor seats. He basically told his business contacts “here’s what you are going to do...”

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I think that locally a lot of the corporate market is pretty tapped. They still have their regional efforts and they can leverage the Pegula business relationships. We had a minority owner here that was very influential. The day after he bought in the team sold something like 17 suites and 100 floor seats. He basically told his business contacts “here’s what you are going to do...”

Great point here! And while I’ve heard that old Buffalo money has been cool, if not resentful to the Pegulas investment in the area, I think they are uniquely positioned to leverage some other relationships. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

A nice as these benefits are, they take almost zero direct gameday on filed benefits into account when building these things. 

Actually, I can testify to the fact that these particular improvements retain the crowd noise.  I have never, never heard that stadium as loud as it was in the many games that I have attended to see any game up to the point they installed the canopy.

20 hours ago, Augie said:

Don’t sell me short! I’m awful in many other ways as well! 

I have always believed in you Augie ! Be all the awful you can be my Friend !
Inspired by your fine efforts here  ✔️

On 5/23/2018 at 6:08 PM, Dalton said:

So a bit of math:

Stadium cost:                    $750 Million

Down Payment:                 $160 Millions (20%)

Useful life of Stadium:      30 years (very conservative)

Interest Rate:                      4%

Yearly Payments:               $42,967,368  

# events:                              10

Tickets sold/event:            75,000 

Cost per ticket:                   $57/game excluding down payment cost

So is the fan base willing to pay and additional $57 per game all other things being equal?

...nice job bud....there it is in a nutshell.....if my calculations are correct, interest payments are $30 mil/yr, an expense that affects the income statement.....the principal portion or debt service must be factored into cash flow (around $12 mil).....relying on your ticket price increase calculations, how or if does Buffalo/WNY support those numbers?....

Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz responded to Pegula’s comments on Thursday.

“I’ve been saying this for years,” Poloncarz wrote on Twitter. “Recently built stadiums are approaching $2 billion. That is a ridiculous amount of money to spend for just a stadium if you think about all the other needs a community has to address. I’m glad Kim Pegula said publicly what all with the team knew.”

The Bills have a lease at New Era Stadium through the 2022 season and can opt out after the 2020 season, although the team has said they do not plan to exercise that option. There is an $18 million renovation project in the works, but the question of what path the team takes beyond this lease will remain a question in the coming years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Has anyone asked her what happened to "digging another well"?

I think that statement was in regards to the NHL team. NFL economics are a different story altogether than in hockey. Apples to oranges here. 

10 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Who ever said new era didn’t need work? You just creating conversations? 

“Facts, facts, facts...”

I can play play this game too, bananas are yellow, saying they’re not it flat out wrong! Facts, facts, facts! 

If bananas are yellow why is my Wegmans stand loaded with green bananas? Just sayin. ?

• Haha (+1) 1