Incognito placed on psychiatric hold, cops called in gym altercation

cudi

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'd bet my life savings on him having an advanced case of CTE. 

The guy's brain clearly isn't functioning properly and it will only continue to get worse. 

Erratic behavior is something he's been exhibiting for a number of years. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Erratic behavior is something he's been exhibiting for a number of years. 

You don't get CTE overnight. It's a degenerative brain disease that some athletes in high school display symptoms of. 

Think of how many hits to the head he's taken over the past 20 years. Probably tens of thousands. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

You don't get CTE overnight. It's a degenerative brain disease that some athletes in high school display symptoms of. 

Think of how many hits to the head he's taken over the past 20 years. Probably tens of thousands. 

Could be a CTE thing or maybe a combination of factors.  Whatever it is he needs to seek help before he harms himself and others. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Could be a CTE thing or maybe a combination of factors.  Whatever it is he needs to seek help before he harms himself and others. 

I agree I hope he doesn't harm anyone else. That would be awful and him picking a fight at a gym and throwing dumb bells at people seems like he came awfully close. 

Unfortunately if he has CTE, it's just going to keep getting worse and there's nothing that can be done to stop it. 

Humans aren't meant to play football. When I read stories like this I feel extremely guilty for watching a sport that might provide players with high salaries and a great lifestyle, but it's too often at the expense of not being able to be a functioning member of society after they retire. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Depending on who you ask, he's already harmed others... I wonder what kind of help it would take?  What if he's just an unredeemable GOON?...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/05/24/richie-incognito-altered-paranoid-state-police-responded/641380002/

Sounds reasonable to me... :doh:

“There's a guy walking around with head phones on," Incognito said. "I'm running NSA class level 3 documents through my phone. I can't have anybody (with) bluetooth capability ... taking pictures of me."

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I agree I hope he doesn't harm anyone else. That would be awful and him picking a fight at a gym and throwing dumb bells at people seems like he came awfully close. 

Unfortunately if he has CTE, it's just going to keep getting worse and there's nothing that can be done to stop it. 

Humans aren't meant to play football. When I read stories like this I feel extremely guilty for watching a sport that might provide players with high salaries and a great lifestyle, but it's too often at the expense of not being able to be a functioning member of society after they retire. 

Don't feel guilty until they do a toxicology report.

Just now, Doc said:

Hopped-up on Shroom Tech?

Haven't you heard?

58 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'd bet my life savings on him having an advanced case of CTE. 

The guy's brain clearly isn't functioning properly and it will only continue to get worse. 

Could be, but I would not bet anything on it.

This pattern of behavior has been occurring since his high school days and he has been treated for mental illness in the past.

Typically drugs used to balance brain chemistry are pretty tough to keep in a good balance and they are especially vulnerable to other drug interactions like alcohol abuse - which he also has a history off.

I would guess we are seeing the effects of him either no longer taking his meds properly or him needing an adjustment and that has lead to erratic behavior since the end of last season.  

Now or if you want to say some of the hits to the head and maybe even a hit late last year exacerbated the issues - I could live with that, but this is not a strictly CTE reaction since this has been occurring since his teens.

53 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I do not feel bad about watching it.  I know a number of ex players that are living an excellent life after football.  There are some/many bad cases, but there are just as many or more that are living a great life, but we just do not hear or care to talk about them.

Many ex players have allowed their kids to go on and play the sport and it is a love affair they have with the game - the more vocal minority say I would never let my kid play and that gets the headlines.

I feel horrible for the ex players that go through things like this, but I also feel both the league and especially the new generation of players need to do a better job of helping the older generations out and being honest with themselves and their doctors.

43 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Holy cow, he may actually be full-on looney tunes.

Like headed to an asylum looney tunes.

Sorry to hear this.

I have to say, I detected absolutely NONE of that sort of thing listening to many interviews/comments from him during his 2nd tenure with the Bills.  He actually seemed quite intelligent and well spoken for a pro football player.

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Holy cow, he may actually be full-on looney tunes.

Like headed to an asylum looney tunes.

Sorry to hear this.

I have to say, I detected absolutely NONE of that sort of thing listening to many interviews/comments from him during his 2nd tenure with the Bills.  He actually seemed quite intelligent and well spoken for a pro football player.

It may not have been there in interviews during his tenure with the Bills.  He may have either stopped taking his meds this offseason, or started/stepped up abusing alcohol/street drugs in a way that interfered with the meds or created “interesting” side effects.

And yep, shades of “Beautiful Mind”.  We may now have the answer to several questions, including why the Bills were unenthusiastic to renegotiate and when he un-retired, decided to just part ways.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It may not have been there in interviews during his tenure with the Bills.  He may have either stopped taking his meds this offseason, or started/stepped up abusing alcohol/street drugs in a way that interfered with the meds or created “interesting” side effects.

And yep, shades of “Beautiful Mind”.  We may now have the answer to several questions, including why the Bills were unenthusiastic to renegotiate and when he un-retired, decided to just part ways.

Richie and Zay would be real interesting together on a Saturday night on the town...

• Haha (+1) 1