Ideal Scenario If No Playoffs in 2018?

I had a realization today ... this is the first year in a long time that I want the Bills to win as many games as possible, no matter what the scenario is.

Many years I've been stuck with the feeling of "alright, if they don't make the playoffs, I want to see them lose as much as possible to get a good draft pick."

If it's week 10 and we're completely out of the playoffs ... do you want to see us win games or lose games this year? And is that a different feeling from previous years for you?

Good question. Because they have a rookie QB who I expect to start the season or by mid season, I would want them to win with him as much as possible even if they are 2-8 at week 10. Granted I assuming this winning would be Allen playing well but regardless it would be good growth I'd think for him and that is far more important then a draft pick given the importance of his position.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I had a realization today ... this is the first year in a long time that I want the Bills to win as many games as possible, no matter what the scenario is.

Many years I've been stuck with the feeling of "alright, if they don't make the playoffs, I want to see them lose as much as possible to get a good draft pick."

If it's week 10 and we're completely out of the playoffs ... do you want to see us win games or lose games this year? And is that a different feeling from previous years for you?

how do you go in to a season not wanting the Bills to win as many games as possible? This doesn't make any sense

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Play to win. I think FA will be much more rewarding for the Bills than the 2019 draft. You don't attract stars with garbage play.

• Like (+1) 1

If there's no playoffs this year, I simply want to see some optimism at the QB position.  I don't care who it is.  Give me a Peyton Manning rookie season of 26 TD's and 28 INT's.  If there's some hint of promise of having a franchise guy, I'll take it.  

• Like (+1) 4

55 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The moment we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I want to see them lose every game.  I've felt the same way every year and no different this year.

Every year they are mathematically eliminated I try to root for them to lose but it never works for me and I find myself getting into the game and upset if they lose. 

Based on most things I have read and I don't pretend to know how to evaluate QB's other then knowing guys like Aaron Rodgers are good, what I want is to not see Josh Allen on the field under any circumstance.  I want him to be developed "properly" so he can be molded into the franchise QB we all want him to be

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The moment we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I want to see them lose every game.  I've felt the same way every year and no different this year.

This is kind of where I am. The caveat is that I’ll never cheer against them and am still happier when they win. I would rather be a little upset when they lose and then look back  and be okay with it. I think that the Bills are still in the building phase. If they struggle next year and end up with an elite WR or DL, it isn’t bad. If Allen can play the Bills are building towards something big. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, nucci said:

how do you go in to a season not wanting the Bills to win as many games as possible? This doesn't make any sense

It's pretty simple, if you actually read what I wrote. 

If a team is 1-14 going into week 16, I would want them to lose to get a top 3 pick. This year, I just want to see wins.

Not that complicated...

Edited by Rigotz

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I didn't read a single word of the original post but from reading the title I know it is idiotic.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
12 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I love this message board.

My bad, I misread the title.  Entirely my fault.  I thought it said the Bills missing the playoffs WAS the ideal scenario in 2018.  I'm the idiot here.

6 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

Every year they are mathematically eliminated I try to root for them to lose but it never works for me and I find myself getting into the game and upset if they lose. 

Based on most things I have read and I don't pretend to know how to evaluate QB's other then knowing guys like Aaron Rodgers are good, what I want is to not see Josh Allen on the field under any circumstance.  I want him to be developed "properly" so he can be molded into the franchise QB we all want him to be

Yeah but a lot of people would argue the way any QB develops is by PLAYING.

The whole "develop while watching" thing is kind of a myth in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Rigotz said:

You're on to something here bro.  I am absolutely done wanting the team to lose for at least a while.  That most certainly is a different feeling.  

We all obviously hope Allen becomes a top tier QB or that we have a Cinderella story in McCarron.   Even if neither of those things happen in the next few years - we should still have a solid team to bring a veteran QB in to win with a talented team.  I think that leaves us with 4-5 years at the very minimum of not cheering to lose.  

Really nice feeling.  

41 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Yeah but a lot of people would argue the way any QB develops is by PLAYING.

The whole "develop while watching" thing is kind of a myth in my opinion.

I don't think it's necessarily a "myth", I think it depends on the circumstances.  There's 4 things I want before letting a young QB play - if I can dictate it.  I want to reasonably be able to protect him,  have at least a good defense, have an excellent running game and have at least 2 receivers that are real good at being safety valves (could be a RB, TE or WR).   If I have a reasonable answer at those 4 things,  I'm willing to let him play to learn.  

I can build on giving him other things to go next level by surrounding him with play making WR's / or maybe not resigning that expensive offensive lineman / or suffering in the run game a little - after he's got his base playing in the NFL.