First off-season casualty- Chargers' TE Hunter Henry tears ACL

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Too much training...its like your car brakes...they only have so much use in them before they need to be replaced...

You only get so many cuts/change of directions before the ACL gives out...these guys have been training year round since they were kids in a lot cases playing the same sport all year round.

My money's on it being the opposite - too little training of ligaments and small muscle groups. These guys tend to hit the weight room like crazy, but if your muscles are far stronger than your tendons and ligaments, it's going to be bad when you start to push those things at full speed.

You bet your ass I'd be doing yoga daily if I was a pro ball player.

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

What's old days to you? I think the size and speed is probably part of it. I don't think overuse is actually part of it. Proper strength training the muscles in the legs is key, Smith probably was training properly. The size and speed is probably the biggest factor, proper stretching.

60s and 70s...even the early 80s...

One thing to remember is these kids have only recently begin training the same sport year round the past 25 years or so...before then kids played all different sports depending on the season and weren't constantly using the same motion, muscle groups, etc over and over again like they do now all year round.

7 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Chargers very well were in super bowl contention this year, and they still could be - but it goes without saying how big of a loss this is

They will still be really good, I think. But no doubt he was going to be a big part of their passing offense. He was also a really effective blocker in the run game. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

I'll be that guy...trade them Charles Clay and Adolphus Washington for one of their guards...Dan Feeney or Forrest Lamp and Travis Benjamin. As a post June 1 trade it works out well. 

They save money on the Benjamin deal and take on a little cap with Clay. Washington gives them depth on the dline. Feeney or Lamp slot in as our starting LG and Benjamin becomes our speed/return guy. 

It also opens a spot for the Chargers to sigh Richie Incognito, reuniting him with his butt buddy Mike Pouncey and coach Anthony Lynn. 

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Has there ever been an elite TE without a good QB? Seems they go together. 

The guy Baltimore had for a period when their QB was a carousel of hopless or injured or both.... their first Superbowl era... can't think of his name but he was elite for a couple of years.  

It's the guy who tragically reversed his vehicle over his own young child.  Not wanting to pile on the misery, obviously awful.  Can't think of his name. 

Edited by GunnerBill

Chargers very well were in super bowl contention this year, and they still could be - but it goes without saying how big of a loss this is

Really? I think it was a fight for them to get out of their division. I would think that a healthy Carr and a returning Chiefs group would be the favorites there.

How do you figure?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Really? I think it was a fight for them to get out of their division. I would think that a healthy Carr and a returning Chiefs group would be the favorites there.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

How do you figure?

LA is likely to break out this year. I think their defense is really good and just added Derwin James and they still have Rivers. I think KC falls back a bit and I think the Raiders take some time to get used to Gruden. If Keemun is good I think it's LA and Denver at the top this year. 

I dont know know about Super Bowl, but I think The Chargers take a big step up this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

the chargers?  i mean anything can happen but that team just seems to underachive every year.