First off-season casualty- Chargers' TE Hunter Henry tears ACL

Too much training...its like your car brakes...they only have so much use in them before they need to be replaced...

You only get so many cuts/change of directions before the ACL gives out...these guys have been training year round since they were kids in a lot cases playing the same sport all year round.

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Too much training...its like your car brakes...they only have so much use in them before they need to be replaced...

You only get so many cuts/change of directions before the ACL gives out...these guys have been training year round since they were kids in a lot cases playing the same sport all year round.

Stretching is key. I wonder how many of these athletes properly stretch.

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Stretching is key. I wonder how many of these athletes properly stretch.

It helps but that still doesnt change the fact these are mostly overuse injuries. Why did these injuries almost never happen in the old days? They rested in the off season and worked normal jobs instesd of training all year round.

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It helps but that still doesnt change the fact these are mostly overuse injuries. Why did these injuries almost never happen in the old days? They rested in the off season and worked normal jobs instesd of training all year round.

That’s part of it.  I suspect Turf instead of Grass has had some impact.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

What's old days to you? I think the size and speed is probably part of it. I don't think overuse is actually part of it. Proper strength training the muscles in the legs is key, Smith probably was training properly. The size and speed is probably the biggest factor, proper stretching.

• Like (+1) 1