Hackenberg Headed to the AAF

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's the "26-27-60" rule (26 on Wonderlic, 27 games started, 60% completion) but I'm not aware of it as a "standard" - just a rule of thumb frequently broken

I'm not sure the Wonderlic is a good predictor for QB success though. 

I thought I heard that Hackenberg's thing was struggling to read defenses on the field and react appropriately.

In theory, a guy could have a 40 Wonderlic and not be able to read a defense under time pressure.

Jabustus Russell says Hi.

Russell is the only other guy I considered. He was picked #1 overall and was atrocious. At the same time he started 25 games, threw for 4,083 yards with 18 TDs. He was extremely bad. Hackenberg went mid-2nd round and has less pass attempts and TD passes than Dontari Poe. He has as many career passing yards as Stephen Hawking. I’m sticking with Sackenberg as the worst ever.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Russell is the only other guy I considered. He was picked #1 overall and was atrocious. At the same time he started 25 games, threw for 4,083 yards with 18 TDs. He was extremely bad. Hackenberg went mid-2nd round and has less pass attempts and TD passes than Dontari Poe. He has as many career passing yards as Stephen Hawking. I’m sticking with Sackenberg as the worst ever.

you can never measure how hard a guy is willing to work once he gets millions of dollars.   Or how badly someone wants to be a winner not just cash a paycheck.   Russel had all the physical tools, just like Vince Young, just like Ryan Leaf, just like EJ Manuel, but the mental ability just wasn't there.   

Ryan Fitzpatrick would be a HOF QB if he had Brett Favre's arm.   

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's the "26-27-60" rule (26 on Wonderlic, 27 games started, 60% completion) but I'm not aware of it as a "standard" - just a rule of thumb frequently broken

I'm not sure the Wonderlic is a good predictor for QB success though. 

I thought I heard that Hackenberg's thing was struggling to read defenses on the field and react appropriately.

In theory, a guy could have a 40 Wonderlic and not be able to read a defense under time pressure.

Jabustus Russell says Hi.

I never heard the 26-27-60 rule.  I like it though it’s not gospel.  Would be cool to see a breakdown of this further.  Josh Allen was 37-25-56 for the record.  

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll go on record that Hackenberg is the worst QB ever. The combination of hype/draft position/success makes him the worst. Other guys may have failed more but never has a guy that was thought of so highly been so bad. He was talked about as a potential #1 overall pick and he couldn’t dress. 

He (and a certain poster here with a curse he puts on college qbs he likes) tried to blame his coach for his issues and then PSU won the Rose Biwl the next year with him.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2016/3/26/11307682/christian-hackenberg-james-franklin-penn-state-nfl-draft

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Even still someone wasted a 2nd on him. Other guys like Logan Thomas or Jevan Snead that were talked about as potential #1 overall picks plummeted. Jimmy Clausen is probably the best comparison in terms of draft status. Clausen has kicked around and had a few decent games. Hackenberg was picked 51st overall and has as many career attempts as I do. 

It’s crazy how often draft “experts” and nfl teams are so terribly wrong on qbs.  Yet so many people take their opinion as gospel.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You definitely make a great point about Sack never even getting in when the Jets were desperate to find a QB.   Not like there was any real competition keeping him on the bench.

2 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

You definitely make a great point about Sack never even getting in when the Jets were desperate to find a QB.   Not like there was any real competition keeping him on the bench.

That’s the crazy part. They took him early, were DESPERATE for a QB and he never even attempted a pass. That’s pretty nuts. He must be a special line of terrible.

• Haha (+1) 1

....good news...so where are the "tire kickers"??..........

Christian Hackenberg clears waivers

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 13, 2018, 4:58 PM EDT

Hackenberg, the quarterback who was the Jets’ 2016 second-round draft pick, was waived by the Raiders yesterday and went unclaimed on waivers today, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Even still someone wasted a 2nd on him. Other guys like Logan Thomas or Jevan Snead that were talked about as potential #1 overall picks plummeted. Jimmy Clausen is probably the best comparison in terms of draft status. Clausen has kicked around and had a few decent games. Hackenberg was picked 51st overall and has as many career attempts as I do. 

Yea Snead is a good comaprison. I don't think people had a 2nd round grade on Hackenburg for the most part though. You can't legislate for stupid and the Jets obviously were. 

The one thing I thank Hackenburg for is Robby Anderson. He first caught my eye watching a season opener a couple of years back where Temple upset Penn State and I had only put it on to watch Hack. Anderson is a kid who has made me look pretty smart since. When he isn't talking about what he would do to a cop's wife that is.... 

• Like (+1) 1

The second BOB passed on him in the draft when the Texans clearly had a need at QB, it confirmed in my mind he did not have the potential to play qb in the NFL. He was the only coach that Sackenberg looked halfway decent playing for, and even he didn’t see a future for him. 

Christian Hackenberg visiting New England Patriots

After spending less than a month in Oakland, free agent QB Christian Hackenberg is visiting the New England Patriots today, according to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.

ESPN first reported the visit.

The former Penn State QB cleared waivers on Wednesday after the Raiders waived Hackenberg one day earlier. Oakland acquired him from the New York Jets in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick on May 22.

New England's quarterback arsenal currently consists of Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer and rookie seventh-round pick Danny Etling, and while the Patriots are not expected to sign Hackenberg, he remains an option going forward, according to Garafolo.

WTF.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

After spending less than a month in Oakland, free agent QB Christian Hackenberg is visiting the New England Patriots today, according to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.

The former Penn State QB cleared waivers on Wednesday after the Raiders waived Hackenberg one day earlier. Oakland acquired him from the New York Jets in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick on May 22.

New England's quarterback arsenal currently consists of Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer and rookie seventh-round pick Danny Etling, and while the Patriots are not expected to sign Hackenberg, he remains an option going forward, according to Garafolo.

WTF.

Picking his brain regarding the JESTS I would imagine

13 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

WTF.

...obviously Brady's heir apparent, right?..............

• Haha (+1) 2

On 5/22/2018 at 6:14 PM, That's No Moon said:

Gruden did this in Tampa also, I think at one point he had 5 QBS on his roster. Got a bad QB that was a high pick? Gruden will take him. Got a QB Gruden said nice things about? He will take him. There hasn't been a qb born that Gruden can't fix, in his own mind.

Sort of sounds like the used car dealer that takes in the dealer trades that nobody wants...then a month later sells them off to a used car lot in Guadalajara, Mexico. ?

On 5/22/2018 at 6:17 PM, That's No Moon said:

Here's feedback, because your footwork sucked. It sucked at penn state and it sucks now. You look like Frankenstein on benzos dipped in solidifying concrete.

No, not the next Brady...the next Bledsoe!

Gruden is already crying about it

Blames the CBA for limiting practice time, says you cant develop QBs properly anymore cause of limited practice times and offseason time.

Said they couldn't properly evaluate and work with him to develop him because they cant get him the needed reps.

Still seems to think that he is some hidden gem that just needs to be shined and polished, and with enough time and effort, any turd can be polished......

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

he likely ends up as a 3rd QB somewhere.  too bad the CFL is already underway.  The guy needs reps to improve, perhaps could have played up there.  

The NFL should have a developmental minor league, and it should be filled with QBS like Hackenberg.

Let them play there and see who can improve and maybe work their way back into the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1