Hackenberg Headed to the AAF

4 hours ago, LaDexter said:

We have a thread about Christian Sack-of-@@@@enberg.... and EJ Manuel....

and we wonder why we haven't had a good QB since Jim....

“We”????  Get lost, Chefs fan. 

On 5/22/2018 at 4:35 PM, whatdrought said:

Conditional 7th round sounds like they might not get anything for him. 

Awhile back a poster mentioned that a friend who works in an NFL FO told him that sometimes teams will make a trade like this as a favor.  Team A trades a relatively highly drafted player who busted to Team B for a conditional pick.  Team B then cuts the player.  This is just a way to avoid the headline of the Jets cutting Hackenburg. 

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Awhile back a poster mentioned that a friend who works in an NFL FO told him that sometimes teams will make a trade like this as a favor.  Team A trades a relatively highly drafted player who busted to Team B for a conditional pick.  Team B then cuts the player.  This is just a way to avoid the headline of the Jets cutting Hackenburg. 

Welp then I guess Maccagnan owes McKensie

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

http://draftanalyst.com/shrine-game-monday-night-notes

it was an article by Tony Pauline back in January and he was spot on 

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is that the condition for the Jets to get that 7th?

Judging from Jets front office (mis)management, they would forget about the compensatory pick by the time they were measuring for the jacket.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

15 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

I thought the knock on Hackenberg was he's dumb? Wasn't that his issue? He could not read defenses. Didn't he have a low wonderlic too?

There's little correlation between wonderlic score and reading a defense.

Hackenberg's biggest flaw was his horrendous accuracy and poor pocket presence. 

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I thought 'pocket presence' was what the creepy guy would try to entice the unknowing into checking his pants for.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to NYJ Trade Hackenberg to the Raiders for a Conditional 2019 7th Round Pick - Waived by Oakland

I’ll go on record that Hackenberg is the worst QB ever. The combination of hype/draft position/success makes him the worst. Other guys may have failed more but never has a guy that was thought of so highly been so bad. He was talked about as a potential #1 overall pick and he couldn’t dress. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll go on record that Hackenberg is the worst QB ever. The combination of hype/draft position/success makes him the worst. Other guys may have failed more but never has a guy that was thought of so highly been so bad. He was talked about as a potential #1 overall pick and he couldn’t dress. 

To be fair he was talked about as a possible number 1 pick two years before he came out.  The book was out on him by the time he appeared out of college.  

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To be fair he was talked about as a possible number 1 pick two years before he came out.  The book was out on him by the time he appeared out of college.  

Even still someone wasted a 2nd on him. Other guys like Logan Thomas or Jevan Snead that were talked about as potential #1 overall picks plummeted. Jimmy Clausen is probably the best comparison in terms of draft status. Clausen has kicked around and had a few decent games. Hackenberg was picked 51st overall and has as many career attempts as I do. 

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I thought it was he's dumb. That he held the ball too long because he couldn't see the field. That he took Rob Johnson style sacks. I know he had the accuracy and pocket issues as well but I thought the reason many hated him was because he was dumb as rocks and couldn't read defenses.

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unremarkable Wonderlic.  24.  Neither high nor WTF? low

Better than I thought. I thought it was in the teens. Isn't there an above 25 standard for QBs?

Edited by CuddyDark

20 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I thought it was he's dumb. That he held the ball too long because he couldn't see the field. That he took Rob Johnson style sacks. I know he had the accuracy and pocket issues as well but I thought the reason many hated him was because he was dumb as rocks and couldn't read defenses.

I watched him at Penn State and he definitely couldn't read the field and make any kind of complex decision.  Glad the Jets thought so highly of him!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Better than I thought. I thought it was in the teens. Isn't there an above 25 standard for QBs?

There's the "26-27-60" rule (26 on Wonderlic, 27 games started, 60% completion) but I'm not aware of it as a "standard" - just a rule of thumb frequently broken

I'm not sure the Wonderlic is a good predictor for QB success though. 

I thought I heard that Hackenberg's thing was struggling to read defenses on the field and react appropriately.

In theory, a guy could have a 40 Wonderlic and not be able to read a defense under time pressure.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Jabustus Russell says Hi.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1