An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Who ownes the stadiums again?

Some of the owners own stadiums, many of them are leased from local municipalities.  None of the players work for the municipality; they all are employed by the owners, and the owners set the rules.

That's the simple truth of working for someone else: there are rules that you may not agree with, but nevertheless must abide by in order to stay in their employ.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Really. Sure ok. 

But anyway NFL are you closing consession stands during anthem, Merchandise shops during anthem, Latrines during Anthem. 

Be !@#$ing consistent anyway

Jed York did.  

Pay !@#$ing attention.

6 minutes ago, phypon said:

So given the context is it okay to say that Hillary is not a patriot and hates vets because she "wiped" her server concealing she sold US secrets to other countries?  Should we out of nowhere just start talking about why the sky is blue to divert/deflect from the actual content at hand?

Prove it,my friend, because I have proof on Mr. Trumps statement. 

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

Why is it that people assume they represent the majority? Possibly the majority don't agree but that doesn't mean the majority supports restricting freedom of speech.

They're 100% free to express their opinions; they simply aren't free from the consequences imposed upon them from their private employers for doing so.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Some of the owners own stadiums, many of them are leased from local municipalities.  None of the players work for the municipality; they all are employed by the owners, and the owners set the rules.

That's the simple truth of working for someone else: there are rules that you may not agree with, but nevertheless must abide by in order to stay in their employ.

Important distinction.  Must abide or suffer the consequences.  The consequences do not always mean lose your position, sometimes it's just disciplinary action at the discretion of the employer.

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Why is it that people assume they represent the majority? Possibly the majority don't agree but that doesn't mean the majority supports restricting freedom of speech.

The NFL is a business.  If the majority of their customers wanted players to kneel, this would be a different discussion.  Since the NFL does not want the players to kneel, it's obvious that the majority is being represented.  Make sense?

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Then what is the consession owners given to their Collectively Bargined Employees. Oooo yeah they are not. Got it 

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Jed York did.  

Pay !@#$ing attention.

One out of how many???  Where buffalos closed?

NFL's new anthem policy is not a compromise at all

By JONATHAN JONES  May 23, 2018

ATLANTA — The NFL’s new policy regarding player protests during the national anthem is not a compromise whatsoever. It is a series of half measures dedicated to the attempt of satisfying all frustrated parties while completely ignoring the initial point of the peaceful protests. It is intended to hide its mostly black players who wish to speak up, through their actions, about inequality in criminal justice and police brutality against people of color. The policy treats those players as nuisances and attempts to hide them away in the locker room. It is meant to chill the speech of the players whose voices have grown louder than the players—and owners—imagined they could go.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Really. Sure ok. 

But anyway NFL are you closing consession stands during anthem, Merchandise shops during anthem, Latrines during Anthem. 

Be !@#$ing consistent anyway

This got me thinking. What if players, especially those high recognition, high merchandise selling, STAR players, decided that playing on the Sabbath conflicted with their religious beliefs. Could they be compelled to play because they are employed by a private business?

1 minute ago, phypon said:

The NFL is a business.  If the majority of their customers wanted players to kneel, this would be a different discussion.  Since the NFL does not want the players to kneel, it's obvious that the majority is being represented.  Make sense?

No, but that's fine.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Then what is the consession owners given to their Collectively Bargined Employees. Oooo yeah they are not. Got it 

One out of how many???  Where buffalos closed?

Write Kim and tell her to be consistent and respect the flag.  I don't hate the move.

I don't work for the Bills though.

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Prove it,my friend, because I have proof on Mr. Trumps statement. 

Well, you clearly believe in freedom of speech so why are you upset with anything that Trump has said?

Oh, and from her own mouth, Hillary said that she deleted the emails.  Really, guy??

Just now, MAJBobby said:

The CBA determines what say the NFLPA has in rule changes.  The competition committee changes rules every single offseason with no input from the NFLPA.

Now I'll admit I'm not 100% intimately familiar with the terms of the CBA, so if you can show me where in the CBA the NFLPA is afforded the opportunity to give input on this particular rules change, I'm open to seeing your position on it.  Until then, it kind of feels like you've pivoted your point from "restricting free speech" to "is this allowed under the CBA?"

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

It cracks me up every time some jackoff says something like, "if you don't love it, leave it."

What a crock.

Perhaps the weakest, least intelligent form of argument on every level.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The CBA determines what say the NFLPA has in rule changes.  The competition committee changes rules every single offseason with no input from the NFLPA.

Now I'll admit I'm not 100% intimately familiar with the terms of the CBA, so if you can show me where in the CBA the NFLPA is afforded the opportunity to give input on this particular rules change, I'm open to seeing your position on it.  Until then, it kind of feels like you've pivoted your point from "restricting free speech" to "is this allowed under the CBA?"

It is both. But hey thats fine. Tear uo the document i have fought and watched friends die defending. Limit those freedoms baby. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/23/nflpa-will-challenge-any-aspect-of-anthem-policy-inconsistent-with-cba/

Edited by MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This got me thinking. What if players, especially those high recognition, high merchandise selling, STAR players, decided that playing on the Sabbath conflicted with their religious beliefs. Could they be compelled to play because they are employed by a private business?

That would be really interesting; I think there's precedent for this...didn't Sandy Koufax refuse to pitch in a pennant game back in the day?