An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Ok, quick question, how many people who were killed by police were convicted of the crimes for which they were accused? And how many of those crimes would have been deserving of the death penalty? 

Yes, I know this is a farcical argument. And I will gladly debate the shades of gray in PPP. But let's not pretend that there are legitimate concerns that the athletes brought attention to, and that they did it in a non-violent fashion.

Let's do that.

5 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I don't know how people miss this point...

Playing for the NFL is a job.  The players are employees of the NFL.

I think the NFL is being generous in letting players stay in the tunnel if they like.  The NFL, the employer does not want to see any of the players, their employees kneel on the field during the anthem.  If any of those employees are unhappy with the terms of their employment, they are welcome to quit their place of employment and find new jobs, plain and simple.

I could start a business, King's Crab Cakes.  And I could stipulate that at the start of the workday, the national anthem will be played throughout the factory, and every employee must stand for it.  Failure to do so will be met with disciplinary action that could lead up to termination.  Anyone who does not like this policy is welcome to seek employment elsewhere, this is how I want to run my business.  And while people might think me eccentric, nobody would say I was doing anything wrong.  I was running my business my way.  There is nothing different from that example and the NFL right now, so I don't see where anyone has any right to complain about this.

Well said.  Great analogy.

The next thing you know people will complain that the players have to wear "uniforms" and that it suppresses their freedom of expression and that the NFL should have "casual Sundays".  They just don't get it. 

1 hour ago, Luxy312 said:

Agree to disagree.  It's been part of these games for the 47 years that I've been alive.  More tradition than "forced patriotism".  I would suggest that anyone that doesn't like being an American is free to leave and not be an American.  There's no one forcing any of us to live here.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

As a veteran I served to protect the rights of all Americans not just ones I agree with. I would say to Trump and company where did you serve anything but yourselves? Wave your flags,wear your lapel buttons and continue your self service. For me I'll never spend another cent on anything related to the NFL. 

34 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

Nope.  From what I've read so far (and I will caveat that it's very minimal), the option to fine players will be team options, no NFL enforced sanctions or fines.  Teams have the option to fine or not fine.

ok, thanks

20 minutes ago, phypon said:

Yes, because wikipedia is known as a trustworthy source.

You really want to split hairs and detract from the point I made?  Seriously??  Take spitting off of the table.  Shouting, screaming, and belittling vets that were DRAFTED to go to war whether of their own volition or not, that behavior is okay though because there was no spitting.  Therefore, it's okay to dishonor them while honoring them.  Bizzaro! 

What I find most bizarro is the disrespect of Senator McCain's service by members from the self-proclaimed "patriotic" end of the political spectrum. 

But such are the times we are living in it would appear. Two steps forward, one step back. Rinse and repeat.

A flag that requires compulsory standing does not deserve respect. 

Which is why the government isn't forcing this, and why western enlightenment values still rule the day. 

But the NFL can !@#$ right off, since it apparently doesn't care about those.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, starrymessenger said:

What I find most bizarro is the disrespect of Senator McCain's service by members from the self-proclaimed "patriotic" end of the political spectrum. 

But such are the times we are living in it would appear. Two steps forward, one step back. Rinse and repeat.

Who on this board/thread has disrespected the service of Senator McCain?  If you really want to reach, maybe flat Earth theory is your game.