An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

NFL is concerned with optics and how that might negatively impact the millions paid by the military to stage these for profit displays of patriotism. Over my many decades of attending sports events, I’ve seen far more blatant displays of disrespect in the stands during the playing of the anthem than anything a kneeling player shows.

The hypocrisy is off the charts. Not surprised in this day and age where symbols mean more than the very right they represent. 

I agree that it's all about optics, and I also agree regarding fan behavior during the anthem.

I simply think that the league owners (right or wrong) are not operating outside of their rights as employers in this case.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Are there any other employers that begin their work days by playing the anthem and forcing the employees to stand?

I don't know...but if they did, that would be within their rights as employers.  The individual's freedom lies in their choice to work for that company versus another.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

NFL is concerned with optics and how that might negatively impact the millions paid by the military to stage these for profit displays of patriotism. Over my many decades of attending sports events, I’ve seen far more blatant displays of disrespect in the stands during the playing of the anthem than anything a kneeling player shows.

The hypocrisy is off the charts. Not surprised in this day and age where symbols mean more than the very right they represent. 

Amen to all of this.  It's all BS.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Don't know the details. *yawn.  Don't care. Your whatever reason of whatever reason is more than likely a noise disturbance or something as such. *Yawn

You realize I will argue the stupidest finite point until you're exhausted right?  Probably good to just ignore my disagreement.  But if you want to tango, start the music.

Edit. By the way. That's a terrible analogy. The police didn't call the police on themselves. The police were called and came.  That's just ridiculous. You can try again but I advise not.

I'm already tired

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I agree that it's all about optics, and I also agree regarding fan behavior during the anthem.

I simply think that the league owners (right or wrong) are not operating outside of their rights as employers in this case..

I agree 100% that the league is operating well within their rights as employers. That is simply not questionable. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is total BS but totally predictable.

You have to love the USA!  Greed and Money always come first.  Always has, always will.  

Freedom of speech?  All the veterans who were mamed, psychologically wounded forever, and killed to keep that right alive and well in the USA?

F--- 'em!   That's what the NFL just told you.

Hopefully the players will simply modify their form of protest.  Stay standing, but do something else.  

1 hour ago, Luxy312 said:

Good for the NFL.  They're protecting the brand.  NFL games are not a forum for individual players to air their political opinions or present their personal axes to grind.  When you come to the game, play football.  If you have a personal cause, do it on your own time.

On behalf of DC TOM:

You're an idiot.

Just now, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Wrong.

Ever watch a sabres game?

A Sabres game is a sporting event.

26 is stupid, but he moves the goalposts enough to cover it up pretty well.

2 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

A Sabres game is a sporting event.

26 is stupid, but he moves the goalposts enough to cover it up pretty well.

I know I caught that then deleted the post ...

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

WTH??? Isn't that a sporting event?

I know I was wrong i mis read your post 

15 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

That's the worst analogy anthem kneelers make. It's a red herring and absolutely nothing to do with the argument. 

I'm not a kneeler.  And when the anti-kneelers complain about how sacred the anthem is they're being hypocrites.

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Thinking I'm stupid is part of YOUR problem. The problem isn't the police. It's morons who don't listen to police and get what they deserve, a Darwin award delivered in a bullet.  

I cut out the rest, because the rest is a discussion best left to PPP, and I like to think that I know the best place to rebut the rest is over there.

But this. This is the point. This was the whole point as to why protesting began. It's that there is a belief that is fairly pervasive: that if you do anything, ANYTHING to make police feel that you are not 100% in compliance, they have the right to kill you without due process. That can include a legal gun owner being ordered to hand over his license and registration, and then being shot while going for it because he informed the officer that he had a gun in the car. It means that selling loose cigarettes while never taking an offensive action is a suitable excuse for you to be choked to death while you beg for mercy.

You can agree or disagree about the role of police, and how much authority and latitude they should be allowed, and how much of a benefit of a doubt they should be given, but if you look at those situations and go "yeah, those dead civilians, they're the real problem" you are screwed up in the head at a level that I consider terrifying.

• Like (+1) 1

What I find most amusing over this is the NFL coverage of the games, except on Veteran's Day weekend, the anthems are NOT shown.

That said, those who choose to work for the NFL must abide by the working conditions set forth in the PRIVATE workplace. The First Amendment rights that some claim these employees have do not in fact exist at a private place of employment.  I know that this has been said multiple times in this thread, but that's how it is.  

Work all that, I still have no issue with what the players choose to do. If they kneel, they kneel. To me I don't find that unpatriotic/disgraceful.  That's their choice, and they have to deal with the repercussions.  Also, they are subject to the terms and conditions of their employer.

Just now, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I know I caught that then deleted the post ...

See but now you've given him ammo to move the goalposts again.  It never ends.  First it's "muh freedoms" then it's "well they don't do it where you work" soon it will be something else ridiculous to cover up the fact that he believes, in truly mind-numbing fashion, that a private entity having a workplace code of conduct is infringing on 1st Amendment rights.

1 hour ago, Yeezus said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/sport/nfl-spring-league-meeting-national-anthem/index.html

Wow. What a statement. and what a way to alienate all the younger generation fans. Glad they did this, as now I have an even better excuse not to watch this garbage league anymore except Bills games

the NBA will surpass the NFL in about 10 years at this rate tbh, won't be surprised when it happens. 

What exactly do you mean by this? 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't myself see it as either, but I understand that you and others do see it that way.  That's sort of "symbology 101", people don't get to define for themselves what symbolic gestures mean to them, they need to be willing to accept what those symbols and symbolic gestures mean to our society.

The people who get to define the meaning of the symbolic gesture are the ones making the gesture.

Not Phil from Cheektowaga.