An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

I'm not losing any sleep over whether or not a player stands, but this makes sense from the league perspective.

It's not that it had any impact on the game, it's that the storylines started becoming political and who was protesting and who wasn't.  The country is divided on politics.  There's a reason people don't discuss politics at work. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Really?

Surely linking arms is a sign of respect? Look at other sports....go watch any rugby international, the players are arm in arm when the anthem plays. It's a sign of unity and respect. It's the opposite of what he is saying

This new rule is even less clear than the catch rule. Which is impressive

Edited by Mountain Man

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think those issues are losing the NFL fans either. I'm just saying it's dumb for someone to stop watching games over the anthem issue when those other issues didn't bother them. The NFL is fine. They face scandal after scandal but their revenue never stops increasing.

Who says the other issues didn't bother anyone?  And if you think people who love their country and don't like people disrespecting the flag and anthem are dumb, then fine, you are entitled to your opinion, just as they are.   

I really wish at least one of our professional sports leagues would address what I believe is the only pertinent question:  WHY is there a need to play the national anthem before sporting events?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I can't speak for others, but the answer to the kneeling thing for me was my DVR.

Fast forward past the need to broadcast that stuff and get to the reason I'm watching the game.

Nice compromise by the NFL. More NFL and less TMZ, please.

Before the protests you'd actually watch the anthem?

1 minute ago, eball said:

I really wish at least one of our professional sports leagues would address what I believe is the only pertinent question:  WHY is there a need to play the national anthem before sporting events?

It's a money thing for the NFL.

19 minutes ago, dpberr said:

The NFL is deluding itself that it's fan retention issues are so simply  tied to this particular issue.  

That being said, the NFL is a private business and they can create policies as they see fit for their employees, however misguided those policies may be.

Yeah. I have been watching less football (other than the Bills) but it has nothing to do with the anthem protests.

First, I've cut the cord, and what little live TV I watch is through Sling. I would gladly pay money for additional streaming without the full DirecTV bundle, but they are stuck in that deal.

Second, they've sent ads through the rough. Third, with all of the rule changes that keep benefiting offense and Madden-like scoring, combined with ridiculous salaries for QBs, the overall quality of play has been dropping. If I am paying for my content, you better have something more interesting than the stuff I can watch without more ads.

The anthem protests have been the most interesting thing to happen to the league in years.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Really?

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

Now they want to control HOW you stand? Haha...they should just ban the anthem from all sports then imo...problem solved.

This seems rife for loopholes and problems. I am ok with them just stopping the anthem, or doing it without any players on the field rather than this half assed compromise.

26 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

what does forcing your players to stand for the national anthem have to do with "playing football" ?

stop doing mental gymnastics to try and defend this. it's actually embarrassing  

There's no "mental gymnastics" that have to be done, unless you're a mental midget.  They stand in every other major sport.  They stand at the Olympics.  The NBA forces players to stand as well.  What's embarrassing are the idiots that think that players can use a business that they don't own to make it a platform for their political agendas.  My employment agreement with my employer specifically prohibits it and now the NFL's does as well.  Really quite simple.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Agreed.

But I think there's genuine concern the protests will hurt their bottom line or their public perception or what have you.  Even if it doesn't/wouldn't, if you believe the NFL is truly bulletproof, this decision doesn't really matter either.  Mandating standing during the anthem won't affect them either.

I 100% agree. I'm fine with this compromise, and most people who say they'll boycott the NFL won't actually do it. That goes for both sides of the debate. I remember a few years ago a bunch of people said they would stop going to Chick-Fil-A because of their beliefs about gay marriage or something stupid like that, and then their revenues actually INCREASED. Most people don't follow through with their boycotts if they like the product. It's all a bunch of BS. The only thing that will ever impact the NFL's bottom line is the quality of the games.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

There's no "mental gymnastics" that have to be done, unless you're a mental midget.  They stand in every other major sport.  They stand at the Olympics.  The NBA forces players to stand as well.  What's embarrassing are the idiots that think that players can use a business that they don't own to make it a platform for their political agendas.  My employment agreement with my employer specifically prohibits it and now the NFL's does as well.  Really quite simple.

Do they play the National Anthem at your place of employment and force you to stand before you begin your work day?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It was never a thing for me.  I know as many ex-service people who thought the flag protects you right to protest as those who didn't.  Bottom line is the owners own the team and make the rules.  Might be kind of a sill rule but doesn't matter.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Do they play the national Anthem at your place of employment and force you to stand before you begin your work day?

Nope.  But if it was a condition of employment, I would do it or find another job.  It's really not all that complicated to me.  I am specifically prohibited with associating my company's name with ANYTHING political without their express approval.  It is a condition of employment and the remedy for noncompliance is termination.

Just now, Luxy312 said:

Nope.  But if it was a condition of employment, I would do it or find another job.  It's really not all that complicated to me.  I am specifically prohibited with associating my company's name with ANYTHING political without their express approval.  It is a condition of employment and the remedy for noncompliance is termination.

Playing the anthem and forcing the players to stand for it is political.

42 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/sport/nfl-spring-league-meeting-national-anthem/index.html

Wow. What a statement. and what a way to alienate all the younger generation fans. Glad they did this, as now I have an even better excuse not to watch this garbage league anymore except Bills games

the NBA will surpass the NFL in about 10 years at this rate tbh, won't be surprised when it happens

That will literally never happen. The NFL completely dominates ratings. No other sport comes close.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Playing the anthem and forcing the players to stand for it is political.

It's nationalistic, not political.  What exactly is political about it in your opinion?

41 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

it isn't about that

the NFL is the most controlling professional sports league in the world. there is no freedom. 32 teams all run the same exact way. you step out of line you don't belong. 

NBA has done a 100x better job at marketing towards the youth and a wider range audience. 

Don't watch and don't let the door hit you in the butt!