77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So keep the NFL QB away from the NFL defenses?

If Allen isn't ready or isn't the winner of the QB competition, don't play him.

But the notion that we just have to keep him away from the big bad Ravens and Chargers so that we can ease him into seeing an NFL defense no matter how much he impresses in the offseason is just silly.

I can appreciate that your are "having fun" but you are bordering on trolling.

We have a NEW OC a very new mix on our O line.  THIS could be disasterous for a rookie with no real NFL experience.

Laugh it off all you want but I believe there have been QBs injured in thier rookie years and THAT injury resulted in them "playing scared" and ruined any potential they may have had.

I believe that a great many here who are calling to hold Allen out for a bit, are everybit as excited about his prospect (I know I am ).

BUT BUT BUT are worried that throwing him in there behind and untested offensive line and ALL of the offense inexperienced with the new playbook COULD be a recipe for disaster!

Personally, I do NOT want Allen starting until Daboll has a chance to get his feet wet with his NEW TEAM. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If there was this super-experienced QB on the roster, I'd say that Allen would be sitting for awhile.

But since the other two QB's are almost as inexperienced as Allen, it is a good bet that Allen will win the job right out of camp.

Allen will show considerably more talent than the other two QB's combined, so Allen will be starting from week one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/22/2018 at 6:47 AM, eball said:

Let's evaluate this statement.  Why is McCarron the de facto starter?  Because of his four games of NFL experience?  Because he played lights out?  Because he was a highly rated draft pick?  The guy won a battle to become a free agent this offseason and then sat and watched every other free agent QB sign a big deal.  He's getting paid peanuts (relatively speaking) by the Bills.  He is a safety net, not the guy the Bills hope is starting.

If the #7 pick in the draft shows during OTAs and training camp that he grasps the offense the Bills would be fools for not letting him take the reins from the get-go.

I have to make a suggestion here.

If Bills do NOT feel the rest of the Offense is where they wish it to be yet , then they might want to let him learn awhile.
At least not let   Allen killed or mentally and emotionally derailed.

Allen might well be the best QB in the room at the end of Preseason.

to me it's a tough call right now.

Wrs and O line look pretty darned weak right now... to me at least.

On 5/23/2018 at 5:27 AM, billsredneck1 said:

Marvin Lewis was never going to allow a QB competition. Dalton is their franchise guy. Those who claim he couldn't beat out Dalton are just showing ignorance...

This is also my opinion

51 minutes ago, njbuff said:

If there was this super-experienced QB on the roster, I'd say that Allen would be sitting for awhile.

But since the other two QB's are almost as inexperienced as Allen, it is a good bet that Allen will win the job right out of camp.

Allen will show considerably more talent than the other two QB's combined, so Allen will be starting from week one.

Despite not having a ton of playing time, AJ has had a few years of being a pro on the sidelines and in the meeting rooms. He’s already had that time that some wish for Allen to sit and learn. That said, there’s zero question who has more innate talent. If AJ were to look Rob Johnson-esque and get us a sweet draft pick in return, that would be the dream outcome! 

1 hour ago, cd1 said:

We have a NEW OC a very new mix on our O line.  THIS could be disasterous for a rookie with no real NFL experience.

Laugh it off all you want but I believe there have been QBs injured in thier rookie years and THAT injury resulted in them "playing scared" and ruined any potential they may have had.

I believe that a great many here who are calling to hold Allen out for a bit, are everybit as excited about his prospect (I know I am ).

BUT BUT BUT are worried that throwing him in there behind and untested offensive line and ALL of the offense inexperienced with the new playbook COULD be a recipe for disaster!

Personally, I do NOT want Allen starting until Daboll has a chance to get his feet wet with his NEW TEAM. 

I don't know if Allen would play scared if he got injured in his rookie year I mean he didn't at UW. Broke his collar bone in his first start was out the rest of the season and came back and lit it up the next.

20 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know if Allen would play scared if he got injured in his rookie year I mean he didn't at UW. Broke his collar bone in his first start was out the rest of the season and came back and lit it up the next.

It is not the getting injured part. It is how they got injured and by who.

Allen has already commented on just how different the NFL level players play.  They read the play faster yada yada...

Lets not forget to mention the SIZE of NFL players. Example Gronk on Tre White.  

I am not saying he will never get hurt because he will. Just not right out of the shoot for some dumb rookie move like sliding head first.   

2 hours ago, cd1 said:

trans thinks he’s humorous with his little quips and cute little  insults.  

It gets to a point every few months I have to put him back on the ignore list just so I don’t have to argue over the silliness.  

To your point we can cite a number of Bills QBs that have been “ruined”. 

Trent Edwards was pummeled and lost confidence imo 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cd1 said:

Definitely NOT trolling OR trying to have fun at the expense of others.

Call me crazy, but I start the guy who wins the job. Don’t care which teams are on the schedule. You can’t predict who is going to be good and who isn’t - look at the teams we beat last year. 

Start the kid if he’s the best QB in camp. As Allen says, iron sharpens iron.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Call me crazy, but I start the guy who wins the job. Don’t care which teams are on the schedule. You can’t predict who is going to be good and who isn’t - look at the teams we beat last year. 

Start the kid if he’s the best QB in camp. As Allen says, iron sharpens iron.

This

should 

be 

OBVIOUS!!!

It's weird because a couple posters seem to be twisting my words so that I believe Allen should start no matter what and that, in fact, couldn't be further from the truth.

I believe McDermott (not Joe Shmoe TBD message board guy) should make the decision to start the guy McDermott (not Joe Shmoe TBD message board guy) watches every day this offseason through OTAs/Minicamp/Training Camp/Preseason on the team McDermott (not Joe Shmoe TBD message board guy) knows the ins and outs of in terms of weaknesses by position and has coached for a year and will be coaching this year ONLY IF HE FEELS JOSH ALLEN

1) Wins the QB competition 

2) Gives the team the best opportunity to win

3) Won't get destroyed in his rookie year physically, mentally or emotionally due to an unmitigated lack of sufficient NFL talent surrounding him

If those 3 benchmarks aren't met, I don't think McDermott will start Allen and I don't think he should. 

But the fact that the biggest argument for not starting him and keeping him on the bench is #3 is, to me, pretty revealing, because I think #3 is the least likely to be the deciding factor.

Seems a lot of the people who voted "McCarron" also believe Allen will be the best QB this offseason, but our OL and WRs suck too much.

I think our WRs are already better than last year just with a healthy Benjamin and our OL simply swapped Wood and Incognito for Groy and Bodine. Considering how much there have already been undercurrents among fans to see Groy replace Wood and Bodine is an NFL starter, plus John Miller and the 5th round G we drafted from Iowa along with an improved Dawkins... I think our OL very well might improve significantly from last year.

But Allen is mobile and elusive, anyway, which might be better for an average OL.

But these are McDermott's decisions to make, not Joe Shmoe TBD message board guy.

Personally, I just believe McDermott (not Joe Shmoe TBD message board guy), being the guy who will be watching Allen compete in practice against one QB who he watched last year be one of the worst QBs in the history of the NFL for his 1st start and end the season with one of the worst noodle-armed passes I've ever seen and another QB who has 4 career starts and 170 NFL passes who Beane and McDermott thought so highly of they waited until day 3 of Free Agency to sign him and fill a position they were clearly bent on upgrading on in the draft, will watch those 2 guys fall short and Allen will be the clear winner.

That's all. That's actually how I feel. It's not me trolling or having a laugh, as someone accused me of earlier.

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So keep the NFL QB away from the NFL defenses?

If Allen isn't ready or isn't the winner of the QB competition, don't play him.

But the notion that we just have to keep him away from the big bad Ravens and Chargers so that we can ease him into seeing an NFL defense no matter how much he impresses in the offseason is just silly.

If you're willing transplant let's look at the highlighted above, the QB competition.

Do you agree that Daboll probably should have a QB picked as the starter no later than the 3rd Preseason game against the Bengals?

That is typical in the NFL.  The 3rd preseason game is a dress rehearsal for the season.  Most teams do this because the 4th and

final preseason game is usually played by the players looking to try to make the team.  Starters are usually sat to avoid injuries and IF

a few 1st stringers are played it is usually for only a series, 2 at the most.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If you're willing transplant let's look at the highlighted above, the QB competition.

Do you agree that Daboll probably should have a QB picked as the starter no later than the 3rd Preseason game against the Bengals?

That is typical in the NFL.  The 3rd preseason game is a dress rehearsal for the season.  Most teams do this because the 4th and

final preseason game is usually played by the players looking to try to make the team.  Starters are usually sat to avoid injuries and IF

a few 1st stringers are played it is usually for only a series, 2 at the most.

And...? What point are you trying to make? :huh:

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And...? What point are you trying to make? :huh:

I'm trying to look at it from Daboll's point of view, not my opinion (or even yours).  I think as a new OC with a ton of things he has to do to prepare for the

season opener against the Ravens, he would want to know who his "presumed" starter will be to begin game planning.

So, does he want to know by the 3rd preseason game?

44 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm trying to look at it from Daboll's point of view, not my opinion (or even yours).  I think as a new OC with a ton of things he has to do to prepare for the

season opener against the Ravens, he would want to know who his "presumed" starter will be to begin game planning.

Okay... so is this you trying to say they've already chosen McCarron as the starter in order to "get ahead?"

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just missing your point. 

Dabol said he has a plan for Allen, maybe that entails Allen starting right away 0:)

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Realistically you'd want to know who the starter is as soon as possible. But given that they're all learning a new system you'd probably want to give them some time to figure it out first. By the third preseason game you'd probably know the starter or have a pretty damn good idea.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/22/2018 at 3:30 AM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

If Peterman is starting week 1 then we’re in a lot of trouble this season. The only way I see him starting is if AJ and Josh are both out

So you say there is a chance?