77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Benjamin Allbright reported that his inside source said Peterman is leading the competition and Allen is "distantly in 3rd." If that's true, combined with what McDermott said about picking a QB early, I don't think he'll make up the ground against the 2 veterans. That's no slight against Allen. I think every rookie QB should sit for at least 4 games to get a feel for what the game looks like up close. I'm sure they will give Allen a legitimate chance to win the starting role, I just don't think he'll win it. I would be excited if he does though. But I see this year as a throwaway for the offense so I would rather see Peterman or McCarron taking the hits.

Hap, I assume you're referring to this tweet by Allbright?

Is that it?

I don't think that one says anything at all about Allen, especially him being distantly in 3rd.

I looked through that conversation and didn't see any of it brought up, either.

On 5/22/2018 at 7:23 AM, ddaryl said:

Can't vote there are only 3 options and i know there is a 4th arm coming to camp

Kyle Orton 

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Hap, I assume you're referring to this tweet by Allbright?

Is that it?

I don't think that one says anything at all about Allen, especially him being distantly in 3rd.

If Peterman gets the start, I’m going for six int’s in game one. That dude has ptsd from the Chargers. When he came in against Jacksonville, I told someone in the room, here comes an int

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Is that it?

Yep that's it, and here's the one about Allen:

So if his source is right that's what the QB depth chart looks like. And I'm pretty sure he has a source, he was all in on Josh Allen to the Bills for months prior to the draft.

40 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Benjamin Allbright reported that his inside source said Peterman is leading the competition and Allen is "distantly in 3rd." If that's true, combined with what McDermott said about picking a QB early, I don't think he'll make up the ground against the 2 veterans. That's no slight against Allen. I think every rookie QB should sit for at least 4 games to get a feel for what the game looks like up close. I'm sure they will give Allen a legitimate chance to win the starting role, I just don't think he'll win it. I would be excited if he does though. But I see this year as a throwaway for the offense so I would rather see Peterman or McCarron taking the hits.

The first half of the season schedule is brutal. I don't believe that McDermott wants to expose Allen so quickly to the better teams in the league. I do see Allen getting playing time this year but it will probably be in the second half to the last third part of the season. Even if Peterman and McCarron are only vying as a care taker starting qb for Allen it will be interesting to see how each of those qbs play. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The first half of the season schedule is brutal. I don't believe that McDermott wants to expose Allen so quickly to the better teams in the league. I do see Allen getting playing time this year but it will probably be in the second half to the last third part of the season. Even if Peterman and McCarron are only vying as a care taker starting qb for Allen it will be interesting to see how each of those qbs play. 

None of these qb’s will do well. They need receivers and an O-line

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yep that's it, and here's the one about Allen:

So if his source is right that's what the QB depth chart looks like. And I'm pretty sure he has a source, he was all in on Josh Allen to the Bills for months prior to the draft.

Ah I see it. I really don't know who his source is or how close he is to McDermott or Dabol, but I think much will be revealed in that first week of Training Camp.

I said I think Allen has somewhere around a 50% chance of becoming the week 1 starter, and I still think that's about right. 

As much as Colorado and a couple others are painting me as a "he WILL be the starter!!!" guy, the reality is I think he's got about a 50/50 shot to win it. 

His sheer physical talent, leadership that's already showing, intelligence, and glowing praise from vets are some of the reasons for that combined with the fact that the 2 guys he's up against are probably the "frontrunner" who's had 5 NFL starts and was a backup for 4 years otherwise to a mediocre Franchise QB and a guy with a serious physical detriment for an NFL QB (at least as far as last year) who's shocked everyone this spring with how good he's been--and that shock largely stems from how appallingly bad he was last year.

But I'd say Peterman/McCarron are about as likely to be the starter as Allen.

Just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, major said:

None of these qb’s will do well. They need receivers and an O-line

What do you expect these qbs to do with the lineup each has to work with? Refuse to go in and allow someone else to take a pummeling? You just do your best with what you have to work with and appreciate the opportunity to play and show what you got to offer. Very often lineups are not as good as expected and contrarily lineups are often not as bad as expected. 

BIG jump from college to the NFL.  So much for a rookie to learn.  It's really not fair IMO to expect Allen to win the job or to judge him too much over the next 3-4 months.  AJ should have a leg up on the other two as he's been at this longer and is most likely IMO to prevail over a very short 6 week training camp and pre-season. 

13 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

BIG jump from college to the NFL.  So much for a rookie to learn.  It's really not fair IMO to expect Allen to win the job or to judge him too much over the next 3-4 months.  AJ should have a leg up on the other two as he's been at this longer and is most likely IMO to prevail over a very short 6 week training camp and pre-season. 

And yet, in the modern era of quarterbacking over the last 10 years, 76.5% of the QBs drafted in the top 10 started week #1 and 56% of all QBs drafted in the 1st round drafted have started week #1, game #1 of their rookie year for the team that drafted him.

96.3% of all QBs drafted in the 1st round in the last 10 years started at some point during their rookie year.

General odds actually seem to favor Allen starting week 1, especially given a new offensive system and no incumbent.

• Like (+1) 1

My worthless 2 cents.  I think it will be Peterman.  ....it could be McCaron, but the important thing here is that the question being asked should be Allen or someone else.  The someone else part doens't really matter what their name is or who they are.  Some of you posting here have mentioned that Allen was drafted, knowing that there will need to be some time to develop.  that has not changed.  he's been mostly running with the 3's.  He's also lived up to his scouting report.  Big arm, athletic.  smart.  looks like the god of QB's in a no pressure practice type situation (like he always has)  I'd venture to say that at some point in the season he will start, but not game one...here is why:

1.  The Bills opening 8 games are so are brutal.  Let one of your low dollar, not in the future plans, scrub QB's take those hits and losses.  No need to expose Allen to the brutal speed and harshness of the NFL over these first 8 games.

2.  The Bills offensive roster isn't very good.  I'm not a Bills fan as you all know....just objectively looking at your roster on the offensive side of the ball...it's frankly pretty bad.  Again, let the other QB's come in and have to work with this less than optimal talent level to start with.  Perhaps after 8 games, the talent level won't be much better but at least there will have been some time for the O-line to develop some cohesiveness and maybe some guys emerge here and there.  

3.  There should be no illusions that this is a playoff team, and certainly not a contender at this point.  Let the other QB's take the wrath of the fans and media while Allen remains the golden boy in waiting, the great hope of the future, unstained by what will probalby be a pretty miserable opening to the season.  Bring him in when the fans and media no longer are clinging to any hope that this team is has any realistic post season asperiations.....Then the focus can be on watching Allen and seeing how he does game to game..hopefully finding tangible evidence of improvment until the end of the season....giving you something to be hopeful about in 2019 when they can also spend to improve his weaponry, his o line...another draft...etc.  

You all like to point at "the process".  Starting week 1 would be kind of anti process.  sacrifice Peterman and McCaron so that Allen can have the best shot at sustained success (if he is ever to have it) 

Week 1.  Someone not named Josh Allen.

Edited by Zerovotlz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

looks like the god of QB's in a no pressure practice type situation (like he always has 

He has? I haven't seen these reports of how great a practicer Allen was in college. I see some people are still going with the narrative that OTAs and minicamp are completely meaningless. I can understand why a Mahomes supporter would want that to be true, but here in reality you can absolutely judge a QB in OTAs. Of course it isn't the end all be all, not even close, but a QB who can throw accurately within the design of a play in practice can do the same in a real game. On the other hand a QB who continually turns the ball over in practices, like a certain other QB, will likely turn the ball over a lot in real games.

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He has? I haven't seen these reports of how great a practicer Allen was in college. I see some people are still going with the narrative that OTAs and minicamp are completely meaningless. I can understand why a Mahomes supporter would want that to be true, but here in reality you can absolutely judge a QB in OTAs. Of course it isn't the end all be all, not even close, but a QB who can throw accurately within the design of a play in practice can do the same in a real game. On the other hand a QB who continually turns the ball over in practices, like a certain other QB, will likely turn the ball over a lot in real games.

Not sure what you’re talking about here, Days.  Is this what you’re talking about?  I would rephrase it slightly, that a QB who can throw accurately and protect the ball during OTAs may or may not be able to do the same in a real game, but a QB who can’t protect the ball during OTAs has a steep curve ahead of him to do better in real games.

D38D757B-21F7-4496-AF12-BB2792578582.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not sure what you’re talking about here, Days.  Is this what you’re talking about?  I would rephrase it slightly, that a QB who can throw accurately and protect the ball during OTAs may or may not be able to do the same in a real game, but a QB who can’t protect the ball during OTAs has a steep curve ahead of him to do better in real games.

D38D757B-21F7-4496-AF12-BB2792578582.jpeg

1.  This really isn't related to my thoughts on Josh Allen but....

2.  We expect Mahomes to have some days like this.  He's running with the 1's.  We are trying out several players at the C position with the 1's. 

3.  Mahomes is getting praise from all over the place locally, nationaly, other players, etc...having sat pretty much a year...and this being his first season playing...I am expecting there will be some times where we cringe...but at this point, completely expecting a dynamic, franchise QB over the coming 15 years...nothing at this point to say that isn't the expected trajectory.

I stand by my thoughts on Allen.  He's an incredibly intriquing prospect because of his physical and mental makeup.  On an actual football field, he has had some well documented issues with accuracy.  I am willing to entertain the idea that Allens completion PCT can actually be improved by almost 10 pct even though that would be unprecedented. Allen could be coached up to a QB who could exceed the 60% completion pct threshold in the NFL someday but I'm only willing to think it possible if he gets a TON of reps, in practice, with NFL caliber players on the field with him, and good coaching.  The only argument I will buy that he had the low completion pct in college is due to poor coaching, poor talent around him and that he spent a ton of his on field time playing sandlot football, totally off script.  

Josh Allen is the very RARE case where if ever a guy could truly see tangible benefits by sitting and learning then he is it.  For the sake of your future, for the sake of seeing this whole thing through the right way and to end up with a QB that can be a franchise 15 year guy....he needs to be solidly planted on the bench for the whole year....and at bare minimum, the first 8 games.

16 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

My worthless 2 cents.  I think it will be Peterman.  ....it could be McCaron, but the important thing here is that the question being asked should be Allen or someone else.  The someone else part doens't really matter what their name is or who they are.  Some of you posting here have mentioned that Allen was drafted, knowing that there will need to be some time to develop.  that has not changed.  he's been mostly running with the 3's.  He's also lived up to his scouting report.  Big arm, athletic.  smart.  looks like the god of QB's in a no pressure practice type situation (like he always has)  I'd venture to say that at some point in the season he will start, but not game one...here is why:

1.  The Bills opening 8 games are so are brutal.  Let one of your low dollar, not in the future plans, scrub QB's take those hits and losses.  No need to expose Allen to the brutal speed and harshness of the NFL over these first 8 games.

2.  The Bills offensive roster isn't very good.  I'm not a Bills fan as you all know....just objectively looking at your roster on the offensive side of the ball...it's frankly pretty bad.  Again, let the other QB's come in and have to work with this less than optimal talent level to start with.  Perhaps after 8 games, the talent level won't be much better but at least there will have been some time for the O-line to develop some cohesiveness and maybe some guys emerge here and there.  

3.  There should be no illusions that this is a playoff team, and certainly not a contender at this point.  Let the other QB's take the wrath of the fans and media while Allen remains the golden boy in waiting, the great hope of the future, unstained by what will probalby be a pretty miserable opening to the season.  Bring him in when the fans and media no longer are clinging to any hope that this team is has any realistic post season asperiations.....Then the focus can be on watching Allen and seeing how he does game to game..hopefully finding tangible evidence of improvment until the end of the season....giving you something to be hopeful about in 2019 when they can also spend to improve his weaponry, his o line...another draft...etc.  

You all like to point at "the process".  Starting week 1 would be kind of anti process.  sacrifice Peterman and McCaron so that Allen can have the best shot at sustained success (if he is ever to have it) 

Week 1.  Someone not named Josh Allen.

1- Is an NFL game ever not brutal? You're projecting too much about how good the teams are in our first 8 games. Regardless of what a coach should or should not do, I highly doubt that's what McDermott is doing. The NFL changes so consistently year to year that I'd bet you money that at least two of those teams you (and so many others who--like every year--are predicting how difficult our schedule is based on the teams we play) allude to who you think will be so great in the first 8 games will end the season with losing records. At least 2. Probably more. I don't think projecting like this is something coaches do or is even plausible--except for when the Bills play the Patriots :doh:

2- More projecting. Similarly to #1, Beane's job as GM is to evaluate players and bring in the best known good to great players for value but, more importantly, to rely on scouting--both pro and college--to go out and find those diamonds in the rough. We have and unknown offensive roster, not necessarily a "not very good one." Maybe it's downright awful, but the good thing is that McDermott has had OTAs and Minicamp and will have Training Camp and Preseason to evaluate it. If he thinks they're much worse than they were last year, I'm sure that'll factor into his decision. I, personally, thing the offensive roster is better than you think. But I've really bought into what Beane has been doing with the roster on both the pro and college side.

3- I think this is a playoff team, just like I thought we'd make the playoffs last year and thought it before the season started:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/195955-why-are-you-so-sure-we-arent-a-playoff-team/

We were a playoff team. This year, I think we'll be better. I don't even know who our QB is, yet, but I think we'll finally get to double digit wins and won't rely on another team in a miracle win to make the playoffs. I think that not simply because I am a Bills fan. I think that because it's year 2 under a HC who already coached an underrated team into the playoffs once and he's going into year 2 with a seriously upgraded defensive roster (and that's his bread and butter), he brought in an OC who's advertised as very creative who he seems to know well personally and trust, our RBs are better, our WRs are already better with simply a healthy Benjamin, our OL has an opportunity with 2 aging vets who left to inject some youth in the interior OL, and we have lots of potential at the QB position... with whoever that might be. Plus, again, this is year 2 under a regime that broke a 17 year playoff drought. There's buy-in already built in.

Allen might not start week 1. If he doesn't, it's going to be because Peterman or McCarron were clearly well ahead of him. I doubt it's for any of the 3 reasons you provide.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

1- Is an NFL game ever not brutal? You're projecting too much about how good the teams are in our first 8 games. Regardless of what a coach should or should not do, I highly doubt that's what McDermott is doing. The NFL changes so consistently year to year that I'd bet you money that at least two of those teams you (and so many others who--like every year--are predicting how difficult our schedule is based on the teams we play) allude to who you think will be so great in the first 8 games will end the season with losing records. At least 2. Probably more. I don't think projecting like this is something coaches do or is even plausible--except for when the Bills play the Patriots :doh:

2- More projecting. Similarly to #1, Beane's job as GM is to evaluate players and bring in the best known good to great players for value but, more importantly, to rely on scouting--both pro and college--to go out and find those diamonds in the rough. We have and unknown offensive roster, not necessarily a "not very good one." Maybe it's downright awful, but the good thing is that McDermott has had OTAs and Minicamp and will have Training Camp and Preseason to evaluate it. If he thinks they're much worse than they were last year, I'm sure that'll factor into his decision. I, personally, thing the offensive roster is better than you think. But I've really bought into what Beane has been doing with the roster on both the pro and college side.

3- I think this is a playoff team, just like I thought we'd make the playoffs last year and thought it before the season started:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/195955-why-are-you-so-sure-we-arent-a-playoff-team/

We were a playoff team. This year, I think we'll be better. I don't even know who our QB is, yet, but I think we'll finally get to double digit wins and won't rely on another team in a miracle win to make the playoffs. I think that not simply because I am a Bills fan. I think that because it's year 2 under a HC who already coached an underrated team into the playoffs once and he's going into year 2 with a seriously upgraded defensive roster (and that's his bread and butter), he brought in an OC who's advertised as very creative who he seems to know well personally and trust, our RBs are better, our WRs are already better with simply a healthy Benjamin, our OL has an opportunity with 2 aging vets who left to inject some youth in the interior OL, and we have lots of potential at the QB position... with whoever that might be. Plus, again, this is year 2 under a regime that broke a 17 year playoff drought. There's buy-in already built in.

Allen might not start week 1. If he doesn't, it's going to be because Peterman or McCarron were clearly well ahead of him. I doubt it's for any of the 3 reasons you provide.

1. - even if your first 8 games happen to be against what ultimately turn out to be the easiest 8 games played in the NFL all year....he should still be on the bench.

2.  I certainly could be wrong about my evaluation of the Bills offensive talent.  I'm not a scout etc.  I wouldn't have a different opinion in regards to Allen if you had for example, the Patriots offensive roster.  I THINK that Allen isn't ready to carry what appears to be an offensive side lacking the kind of talent to carry a QB.  

3.  McDermott did quite an impressive job getting the Bills to the post season.  I certainly wouldn't have counted the Bills as a playoff team heading into last season.

You and many others have stated that if Allen can show he is heads and shoulders above the other 2 running the offense in camp/pre-season, he should start.  I AGREE with that....but since this is pre camp, and no preseason games to watch yet, we are speculating here....and so, I am speculating that his pre draft scouting report isn't wrong, that he is who everyone says he is...(a physical talent, a smart kid, who was inaccurate in actual games, on a bad team in a bad conference)  I think this will manifest itself in camp and especially on the field in preseason.  I frankly can't wait to see how it plays out.  I think what will happen is that Allen will look like a guy who needs some work and time on the bench when we get to live action, but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what he looks like in a game setting and having my views challenged.  

Also...I'm not ANTI Bills or Anti Allen.  I've said on this board many times that I really want this all to work out for you folks.  This board and fan base are GREAT to interact with...it's why I keep showing up here...great group.  Unless you are playing the Chiefs, I will be rooting for the Bills.  (and hey, I got my picture taken with Poncho Billa at the draft even)  .....Anyhow....I am calling it like I see it....like I said...my worthless 2 cents.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

2.  We expect Mahomes to have some days like this.  He's running with the 1's.  We are trying out several players at the C position with the 1's. 

3.  Mahomes is getting praise from all over the place locally, nationaly, other players, etc...having sat pretty much a year...and this being his first season playing...I am expecting there will be some times where we cringe...but at this point, completely expecting a dynamic, franchise QB over the coming 15 years...nothing at this point to say that isn't the expected trajectory.

I stand by my thoughts on Allen.  He's an incredibly intriquing prospect because of his physical and mental makeup.  On an actual football field, he has had some well documented issues with accuracy.  I am willing to entertain the idea that Allens completion PCT can actually be improved by almost 10 pct even though that would be unprecedented. Allen could be coached up to a QB who could exceed the 60% completion pct threshold in the NFL someday but I'm only willing to think it possible if he gets a TON of reps, in practice, with NFL caliber players on the field with him, and good coaching.  The only argument I will buy that he had the low completion pct in college is due to poor coaching, poor talent around him and that he spent a ton of his on field time playing sandlot football, totally off script.  

Josh Allen is the very RARE case where if ever a guy could truly see tangible benefits by sitting and learning then he is it.  For the sake of your future, for the sake of seeing this whole thing through the right way and to end up with a QB that can be a franchise 15 year guy....he needs to be solidly planted on the bench for the whole year....and at bare minimum, the first 8 games.

2- In case you didn't know, the Bills are trying out players at Center this offseason, too. But none of the Bills QBs, including Allen, have reportedly struggled with snaps the way Mahomes reportedly has.

3- Praise? National praise means absolute squat. As for local, team and coaches praise, Allen is getting plenty of that, too. And there haven't been any disastrous practices thus far.

I'm missing something.

You said you aren't a Bills fan.

Are you a Chiefs fan?

Or jeffismagic reincarnated as a more thoughtful (or at least garrulous) poster?

14 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

I got to give you credit for big ones, Zerovotlz.  But I do see irony in your total praise-fest for Mahomes vs. your commentary on Allen.  If you don't, well, you do ack homer bias.

I think a more balanced take on Mahomes is that he was seen, pre draft, in a similar vein to Allen: a very high-ceiling guy with some bad habits and questionmarks to his technique, as well as the normal spread-offense questionmark, another guy who would fit into that RARE case you mention to see tangible benefits by sitting and learning.   From Mahomes draft analysis by Zierlein:

Grade: 5.87   Bottom Line:
Mahomes is a big, confident quarterback who brings a variety of physical tools to the party, but he's developed some bad habits and doesn't have a very repeatable process as a passer. Mahomes' ability to improvise and extend plays can lead to big plays for his offense, but he will have to prove he can operate with better anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him in order to win from the pocket. Mahomes will be a work in progress, but he's a high ceiling, low floor prospect.

Change the wording around a little bit, and it sounds a lot like Zierlein's take on Allen, whom he graded 5.90 and also termed a high ceiling, low floor prospect, mentioning the need to improve anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him.  Zierlein ain't infallible, but his takes on QB have a way of proving W(Zierlein)SIWYG when they play.

Of course Mahomes is running with the ones, KC burnt their bridges when "Mr Smith goes to Washington".  I'm just pointing out that looking for the national, local, and other player praise when a guy is failing to protect the ball in OTAs may not point to the clearest objective judgement.

I like Mahomes.  I like KC as long as they're not playing Buffalo.  I believe KC had to move on from Smith and what I (and as I recall you) see as his limitations. 

14 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

I don't disagree that Allen would benefit from time to sit and learn, but then, I think the same of most rookie QB - especially QB who have played in a spread offense.  It's not clear to me, given the total QB situation for the Bills, that the Bills coaches agree with us.  We'll get a clearer picture in preseason.

In the meantime, just to point out that there appears to be a significant double-standard when rhapsodizing about Mahomes' success vs coming here to advise us about Allen's limitations.  I hope Mahomes succeeds, but the 10,000 foot view is he's got a long way to go.

• Like (+1) 1

So Peterman set or tied the interception record for a half game. I get why people are stuck on that. If you watch what happened you would see that one should have been caught by receiver, one was a deflection and Mills was called out by a pro-bowler for litterally not blocking for him. 

I will get behind whoever starts, but so many folk want to just say the guy is garbage because it's the thing to do.

I still wanna see what he can do, not for 2 seasons of failure, but way too early to write off.

It's going to be Peterman.  McBeane for some reason love the kid and are committed to tanking 2018 having Allen sit for his first year.  McCarron just isn't a very good QB and probably won't win the job outright, I expect to see some terrible mix of him and Peterman starting during the year.

• Haha (+1) 1