77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

36 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Good, much rather it be Fitz

I remember the play... it summed up Fitz's gunslinger mentality to a T. 

He called an audible at the line stuck at his own 2 yard line because he saw TO in a one on one and good ole Fitzy's just chucked it up.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I remember the play... it summed up Fitz's gunslinger mentality to a T. 

He called an audible at the line stuck at his own 2 yard line because he saw TO in a one on one and good ole Fitzy's just chucked it up.

Yes sir.

It doesn't matter what you think about Fitz or TO, that was. GREAT football play.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a far more interesting question as Peterman plays well. My guess now:

McCarron neighborhood of 45%

Peterman neighborhood of 45%

Allen neighborhood of 5% - 10% in case of injuries or a sudden massive improvement

Edited by Thurman#1

A tie goes to Allen.  He routinely puts balls, and makes throws the other QBs on the roster can't.  I don't see where his negatives out way his positives.  Unlike Mike with Edmund's, Allen has to work for the job, show he is one of the guys, and become the unquestioned leader.  After TC comes to a close everyone will agree Allen gives the 2018 Buffalo Bill's the best shot at winning games.  He doesnt need to be Aaron Rodgers.  Young Big Ben with this running game and D Buffalo could surprise a lot of people.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/28/2018 at 12:03 AM, Thurman#1 said:
  1. McCarron, maybe 75%
  2. Peterman, maybe 20%
  3. Allen, in case of injury or near-inhuman amounts of improvement

20 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's a far more interesting question as Peterman plays well. My guess now:

McCarron neighborhood of 45%

Peterman neighborhood of 45%

Allen neighborhood of 5% - 10% in case of injuries or a sudden massive improvement

I see you're slowly coming around to reality as you're subtly increasing Allen's chances.

That's good. You're adjusting. Bravo! :thumbsup:

Now bump Allen's chances up at least 20% and we can take you a little more serious with these odds.

Now that OTAs and Minicamp are done, I'll adjust what I believe are the odds, too.

Allen- 52%

McCarron- 28%

Peterman- 20%

Edited by transplantbillsfan

17 hours ago, Mat68 said:

A tie goes to Allen.  He routinely puts balls, and makes throws the other QBs on the roster can't.  I don't see where his negatives out way his positives.  Unlike Mike with Edmund's, Allen has to work for the job, show he is one of the guys, and become the unquestioned leader.  After TC comes to a close everyone will agree Allen gives the 2018 Buffalo Bill's the best shot at winning games.  He doesnt need to be Aaron Rodgers.  Young Big Ben with this running game and D Buffalo could surprise a lot of people.

Yep, I think McDermott (and Beane) want Allen to earn it.

Hell look at what Beane said to Matthew Fairburn of The Athletic regarding the "plan" with Allen:

https://theathletic.com/396875/2018/06/18/bills-gm-brandon-beane-josh-allen-quarterbacks/

I can tell you it is not predetermined that he will play ‘X’ number of games. He could play zero or he could play 16 and that’s as real as it is. We have to be fair to the team, so we want to put the guy out there who gives us the best chance to win each Sunday. It doesn’t mean it will play out that way, but we have to make the best decision to do that. So I’m not worried about it. Every team plays their guy when it fits them. That’s our thing. Let’s just follow our plan and give everybody the amount of reps that they need to prove what they can do and let the cream rise to the top. If he plays zero games, then they weren’t meant to be played by him this year. If he plays 16, then that was the plan for us and we’ll see how it went and approach next year.

In other words, the plan is for Allen to earn the #1 starting QB job this Summer, but if he doesn't, McCarron or Peterman will earn it and be just fine as momentary stopgaps until Allen is ready, which McBeane still hopes will be sooner rather than later.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930597/article/kirk-cousins-saquon-barkley-among-10-best-new-additions

10 best new additions

RANK

2560029.jpg

Josh Allen, QB, Bills

Old team: Wyoming. 

The seventh overall pick in the draft has tremendous upside and the arm to throw through the elements in Buffalo. When ranking Allen here, I'm looking more at the coaching staff and how they're going to set Allen up to succeed. The rookie has a legit chance to be the first starter of any quarterback in this draft class, and he could turn this franchise around for the long term. But he'll need to be put in the right situations and learn quickly.

13 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930597/article/kirk-cousins-saquon-barkley-among-10-best-new-additions

10 best new additions

RANK

2560029.jpg

Josh Allen, QB, Bills

Old team: Wyoming. 

The seventh overall pick in the draft has tremendous upside and the arm to throw through the elements in Buffalo. When ranking Allen here, I'm looking more at the coaching staff and how they're going to set Allen up to succeed. The rookie has a legit chance to be the first starter of any quarterback in this draft class, and he could turn this franchise around for the long term. But he'll need to be put in the right situations and learn quickly.

The bolded is important. At least to me. If you can't put him in a good situation don't put him in. Sacrifice the other guys. 

Edited by Lfod

10 minutes ago, Lfod said:

The bolded is important. At least to me. If you can't put him in a good situation don't put him in. Sacrifice the other guys. 

But how good does the situation need to be? 

He'll have an excellent group of RBs, I'd argue highly capable TEs because we all know Clay is very good, I think O'leary is really good and Logan Thomas could be special. WRs I'd argue are largely dependent on a healthy Benjamin, But if he's healthy, they're better than they have been for 2 years because I'm confident at least 2 of the Jones / Reilly / Streater / Kerley / Proehl / Dupree / Clay / Holmes / Ray Ray / Phillips will really step up (I think this might be even more fun as a TC battle to watch than QB) and our WRs improve a good bit.

The concerns are the OL.

But we didn't have Glenn last year... I don't even know why we really consider him a loss. Dawkins did fine in his place... he should improve.

Mills was generally okay last year.

That leaves a combination of Bodine /Ducasse/ Groy /Miller essentially on our interior. I actually think there's a good chance that young group is an upgrade rather than a downgrade from last year.

I think it's all on Allen. The team is strong enough that he can start. But we're going to see.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I see you're slowly coming around to reality as you're subtly increasing Allen's chances.

That's good. You're adjusting. Bravo! :thumbsup:

Now bump Allen's chances up at least 20% and we can take you a little more serious with these odds.

Now that OTAs and Minicamp are done, I'll adjust what I believe are the odds, too.

Allen- 52%

McCarron- 28%

Peterman- 20%

Yup, I'm coming around. Originally I put Allen's chances at around 5% in case of injuries or a huge and unexpected improvement. Whereas now I've raised them all the way to 5 - 10% in case of injuries or a huge and unexpected improvement. That is indeed coming around to reality, the reality that Allen is performing just as expected. Like a rookie who is going to need time.

Peterman's chances on the other hand, have been adjusted upwards as he's clearly doing better than I - and most - expected.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, I'm coming around. Originally I put Allen's chances at around 5% in case of injuries or a huge and unexpected improvement. Whereas now I've raised them all the way to 5 - 10% in case of injuries or a huge and unexpected improvement. That is indeed coming around to reality, the reality that Allen is performing just as expected. Like a rookie who is going to need time.

Peterman's chances on the other hand, have been adjusted upwards as he's clearly doing better than I - and most - expected.

Yes, you're clearly more slowly coming to reality as it relates to Allen than Peterman, though.

While I am much lower on Peterman than you and you are much lower on Allen, it's pretty clear that Allen's chances of winning the starting QB job for Week 1 are significantly greater than 10%.

It seems to me like typical Thurm setting up something to complain about when Allen inevitably takes some rookie lumps.

Peterman ain't starting--at least for more than a few regular season games--unless he seriously and significantly improved his arm... and yes, I saw your thread. Skeptical, to say the least.

If Peterman wins, it's just going to show how out of touch we as fans really are.

The poll question is who do you think will win the starting job week 1, not who do we "want" to win the starting job.

If 90% of us think Peterman won't start, that just shows we really don't know as much as we think we do (again, this is IF he is the starter like outlets are starting to suggest).

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:58 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buffalowdown.com/2018/06/18/buffalo-bills-3-reasons-josh-allen-will-start-week-1/amp/

Buffalo Bills: 3 reasons why Josh Allen will start Week 1

1. Peterman’s minicamp success is fool’s gold

2. Allen’s toolkit >>> his competition

3. He is already being endorsed by Bills players

1. Very well could be true

2. Toolkit <<<< Football IQ/Ability to read a Defense

3. Wasn't Peterman as well?

I don't have time at work to read through 9 pages of responses so I will just throw my opinion out there. I hope they put "not Allen" in.

Our offense is going to be rough this year. Our o-line lost three of its starters and no matter what that means our offense is going to take a hit....and so will our QB...a lot of them. Our wide receivers are KB / Clay and a collection of journeyman that only the likes of Brady could make look good. Our best RB tends to sit a third of the games and plays injured another third. He still puts up big numbers, but going back to my first point I don't see that happening. Finally, we are in yet another new offensive scheme. Again...how many is that in the last decade?

Whatever QB we put in there is going to get SLAUGHTERED. Teams are going to stack the box against the run and force him to throw and there will be pressure on 3 / 4 man rushes when they don't. The QB that wins is going to have to literally put the entire team on his shoulders and drag them kicking and screaming across the TD line if he wants to win. Personally, I don't think any of our QB's have that in them.....yet. Whatever QB you put in will more than likely get hurt / dismayed and otherwise frustrated and I don't want that QB to be Allen. 

That being said, if he somehow becomes superhuman and just starts lighting it up in pre-season games (4 td's a game lighting it up....not 100 yards 0 / 0) then so be it. I just don't see that happening and I have seen too many decent QB's get destroyed in our system by o-lines / offensive schemes that were simply not ready for them. I have to think back to all our past rookie QB's and wonder if any of them might not still be in the league had they not been put behind an o-line made out of swiss cheese. 

As one last note....I think one of the things Tyrod Taylor benefited from was an o-line that was finding its stride. They had some bad games (and we usually lost those) but the o line was really starting to make something of itself. Then we lost most of them. Good luck 2018 QB....your going to need it.

Edit: Also...I just want to say that the "fan" in me WANTS Allen to play because he is the new shiny toy.....I just don't want to break the toy the first time i play with it :P

Edited by Bills4Ever4Life

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

If Peterman wins, it's just going to show how out of touch we as fans really are.

The poll question is who do you think will win the starting job week 1, not who do we "want" to win the starting job.

If 90% of us think Peterman won't start, that just shows we really don't know as much as we think we do (again, this is IF he is the starter like outlets are starting to suggest).

1. Very well could be true

2. Toolkit <<<< Football IQ/Ability to read a Defense

3. Wasn't Peterman as well?

1) Yep

2) Not when you don't have base-level NFL QB arm strength like Peterman. Rumors are he strengthened his arm in the offseason. Let's hope he did a lot, because otherwise he's never going to have a chance to start more than a handful of games in the NFL as a backup. And Allen is reported to have extremely high Football IQ.

3) I remember Peterman was called "Nate Favre" by Hyde. That, while seemingly intended as praise, to me seemed more like a Freudian slip of an insult, because that's exactly what Peterman seems to be, half of Favre, just not the talented half.

On 5/22/2018 at 2:40 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

I think it's Josh Allen.

I'll be fine if McCarron wins it.

I'll be absolutely floored if Peterman wins it... I think he's more likely on the practice squad than under center week 1.

I think Allen has like a 57% chance.

McCarron has maybe a 38% chance.

Peterman has a 5% chance, if that.

Allen is obviously the choice of this regime long term. Beane has questioned publicly the media perception of Allen as "raw." Dabol said he has a plan for him and was said to be on him like white on rice all rookie minicamp.

It just feels inevitable that the most talented QB who's already the Apple of McBeane's Eyes will win the starting job against one scrub with a noodle arm and one QB with some potential, 4 years on the bench and a handful of quality NFL starts, but also a guy who made it through the 1st wave of Free Agency before Beane finally settling on him.

The physical ability is there. The smarts are there. The experience under center is there. The work ethic is there.

#17 under center on Sunday, September 9th in Baltimore...

what say you?

If I had to choose between signing McCarron after 4 years or Taylor I would choose McCarron 10 out of 10 times. He should've won that playoff gave vs the Steelers and he performed a lot better than Taylor in the 1 playoff game that they have both played in.

18 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If I had to choose between signing McCarron after 4 years or Taylor I would choose McCarron 10 out of 10 times. He should've won that playoff gave vs the Steelers and he performed a lot better than Taylor in the 1 playoff game that they have both played in.

You do realize who you are talking to right?

• Haha (+1) 1