77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

Early impressions of all 32 NFL first-round picks

QB Josh Allen. Allen has practiced solely with the third-team offense through the first two weeks, so we're still a ways from seeing how he performs with top receiver Kelvin Benjamin and tight end Charles Clayamong his targets. The eye-opening arm strength and ball velocity have been as advertised with Allen, but so has his questionable accuracy. In a two-minute drill to end Thursday's practice, Allen missed a receiver on first down and later telegraphed an interception on third down. He got a second chance and was much sharper, moving down the field for a touchdown. Status: Too soon to tell. -- Mike Rodak

AJ. 

Thankfully, I feel like we have a coaching staff that will do what is absolutely best for the overall success of the team, regardless of the name on the back of their jersey. They won't throw Allen in if he's not absolutely ready.

I still think Allen will eventually win it, but good thing McCarron is looking good :thumbsup:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/billswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/07/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-sean-mcdermott-first-team/amp/

Sean McDermott open to giving Josh Allen first-team reps: 'It's a fluid situation'

This may lead one to believe that McDermott feels as though a veteran quarterback will give the Bills the best chance to win in 2018. It could also mean that he won’t be afraid to start Allen in the 2018 season if he’s ahead of the curve.

The coach further explained that Allen is not going to be fast-tracked, stating that there’s a plan in regard to Allen’s development.

“It’s early in our process here. We’ve got a plan and we’ve got to stick with it,” McDermott said. “That doesn’t mean we don’t listen and keep our to the ground and our eyes peeled for what’s going on and then adjust accordingly. That’s important. But the important part right now is that we develop a strong foundation and that’s what we’re doing.”

Edited by transplantbillsfan

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I will say AJ starts week 1 and plays well enough to start the entire season. Possibly even starts a playoff game. I really think he is better then most people realize and could become a guy that’s hard to bench.

It's a great problem to have 2 starting caliber QBs... I just don't know how much McCarron really fits the bill there.

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's happening folks...

it's happening :thumbsup:

Seems like working up from 3rd string isn't so insurmountable, after all.

Anyone out there still really think Allen has only a 5-10% chance of becoming the starting QB week one? :flirt:

Didnt McD say that getting him reps with the first team during mini camp was part of he plan all along? Still seems really early in the process.

Edited by Bangarang

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Didnt McD say that getting him reps with the first team during mini camp was part of he plan all along? Still seems really early in the process.

Oh... 

it's early...

and Allen seems all poised to take the reins this Summer.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wkbw.com/2617781973/7-observations-from-2018-buffalo-bills-minicamp-day-two.html

1) Josh Allen has his best day yet
- After watching four practices of Josh Allen with the whole team, I wrote on Tuesday that he has mainly given up and down performances to this point. However, on Wednesday, he had his best day yet without surrendering a throw that makes you utter, 'Well, what was that?' Allen took one set of first-team reps, just as he did on Tuesday, and opened it up by throwing a dart of a touchdown to Jeremy Kerley. He continued in working with the third-team offense the remainder of the day by continuing to show his clear ability throwing the ball that's just a cut above everything else the Bills have on their roster at the position. Now the one thing I did notice him do a couple of times was trying to get away with making a play with only his arm while sacrificing his footwork. There are times where he won't have a chance to set his feet and make a throw during a game, but in these specific instances he had the time to do so, and it cost him an incompletion. However, that was about as much as you could say in a negative light for Allen's practice on Wednesday, and the Bills have to be happy with the progress that he's made already in this short time.

Getting all 3 reps with all 3 teams best thing to do.

You might see a connection between JA and a second string backup, or you might see a connection between AJ and a projected third string wr that leads to that guy being brought up to second string.

Due diligence to get every QB reps with every wr combo.

Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like (+1) 1

Okay, so here's what I think is going on: McDermott's "plan" is and has been to have McCarron start and let Allen watch.

But it's a "plan" only, I believe, in the sense that it's something he can count on. When you set low/realistic expectations, anything beyond is cherry. Sure, he can't count on Allen being ready because it's still so early in the process of evaluating him. But plans change.

I really think he and Dabol are going to have some seriously long talks over the next 6 weeks about how to maximize Allen's development while managing to protect him as a rookie starting QB because as cryptic as McDermott can be, I think he can see that Allen's ahead of the anticipated curve and that the rest of the team can see that, as well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Okay, so here's what I think is going on: McDermott's "plan" is and has been to have McCarron start and let Allen watch.

But it's a "plan" only, I believe, in the sense that it's something he can count on. When you set low/realistic expectations, anything beyond is cherry. Sure, he can't count on Allen being ready because it's still so early in the process of evaluating him. But plans change.

I really think he and Dabol are going to have some seriously long talks over the next 6 weeks about how to maximize Allen's development while managing to protect him as a rookie starting QB because as cryptic as McDermott can be, I think he can see that Allen's ahead of the anticipated curve and that the rest of the team can see that, as well.

Mere words cannot describe how much I want this to be true. 

He wasn’t my guy before the draft, but he IS our guy now, so I’m praying for the best!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Mere words cannot describe how much I want this to be true. 

He wasn’t my guy before the draft, but he IS our guy now, so I’m praying for the best!!!

I think with the confidence you've seen in Allen from the likes of Tre White and Shady and then the entire offense running onto the field excitedly chest bumping Allen after that 70 yard TD to Proehl.

If the team sees Allen as the best option clearly, I think McDermott is going to be hard-pressed to keep him on the bench.

43 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think with the confidence you've seen in Allen from the likes of Tre White and Shady and then the entire offense running onto the field excitedly chest bumping Allen after that 70 yard TD to Proehl.

If the team sees Allen as the best option clearly, I think McDermott is going to be hard-pressed to keep him on the bench.

Hard to tell if they clearly see him as the best option. He's only gotten 6 snaps with the first team and performed just okay.

The enthusiasm is encouraging. Just means the team is behind him and there should be no qualms when he eventually does start, as long as there's no disruption in that chemistry. At least, those pre-draft Tweets obviously had no effect. ?