77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Tyrod Taylor and Tom Brady are outliers.

Isn't that obvious?

Plus, Brady only saw the field due to injury and Taylor was really the dark horse of a QB competition and came out ahead of a former 1st round bust who had been given the previous 2 years to bloom.

I am not rooting against McCarron, but the fact that some are talking about him like he's the incumbent or like he's earned his year as the #1 already is just strange.

Like I said, McCarron might win, I just think the odds are more in Allen's favor than McCarron's.

Myself personally, its not just a question of who shows the most talent, its what is wise for a star athletes development. Tossing a young QB prospect into the fire with an O that has yet to establish itself in the NFL along with an Oline that needs time to gel could ruin Allens career IMO. Everything is vanilla through preseason. I also don't think McD and Co will be under any pressure from above to start the rookie, especially with R Brandon's departure.

So with all due respect Transplant, starting Allen at the beginning of the season is probably not going to happen in my humble opinion.

Edited by Figster
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can guarantee Allen sees no more than whatever garbage time we can give him. If he starts at any point it’s due to injury. He’s no where near ready and a lot of people here are drinking some crazy kool aid thinking he’s going to be starting, or has a chance to start, week 1; again, barring injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gigs said:

I can guarantee Allen sees no more than whatever garbage time we can give him. If he starts at any point it’s due to injury. He’s no where near ready and a lot of people here are drinking some crazy kool aid thinking he’s going to be starting, or has a chance to start, week 1; again, barring injury. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3789409

Edited by transplantbillsfan

6 hours ago, Gigs said:

I wonder if ppl really understand that as soon as they use the word "kool aid" people immediately tend to disqualify the post.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I wonder if ppl really understand that as soon as they use the word "kool aid" people immediately tend to disqualify the post.

and continue on...

...drinking ...

...but hey...

...its hot hot hot outside...

Edited by Figster

Per Brandon Beane 

Josh Allen will start as the #3 QB 

The Buffalo Bills traded up to obtain the services of Josh Allen. The team won't hand the rookie the starting gig right off the bat, however. 

Bills general manager Brandon Beane said Monday on WGR-AM 550 in Buffalo that Allen will begin as the team's No. 3 quarterback behind AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman, and the trio will compete for starting honors.

Compete.  

Nothing says he will jump to #1 just because he was drafted high. 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Per Brandon Beane 

Josh Allen will start as the #3 QB 

The Buffalo Bills traded up to obtain the services of Josh Allen. The team won't hand the rookie the starting gig right off the bat, however. 

Bills general manager Brandon Beane said Monday on WGR-AM 550 in Buffalo that Allen will begin as the team's No. 3 quarterback behind AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman, and the trio will compete for starting honors.

Compete.  

Nothing says he will jump to #1 just because he was drafted high. 

And nothing says he won't or can't jump to #1, either, just because he's #3 right now.

-Derek Carr in his rookie year wasn't named the #2 on the depth chart until he entered Training Camp.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/derek-carr-to-enter-training-camp-as-raiders-no-2-qb-behind-matt-schaub/

He eventually won the #1 job.

-EJ Manuel was #3 on the depth chart in his rookie year.

We all know that, largely thanks to a mat, he ended up landing the #1 job.

-Or how about the headline end of July of 2016... at the beginning of Training Camp already

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-coach-sam-bradford-is-still-our-starter-carson-wentz-is-third-string/

Eagles coach: Sam Bradford is still our starter, Carson Wentz is third string

We all know how that ended up.

-Bridgewater in 2014 as OTAs began...

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/teddy-bridgewater-impresses-vikings/story?id=23761909

Although he reiterated that Bridgewater currently is third on the Vikings' depth chart at quarterback, Zimmer told reporters Friday that he wants the former Louisville star to get some work in with the first-team offense during OTAs, which begin May 28.

Who won that one again?

The idea of highly drafted rookie QBs starting #3 on the depth chart isn't exactly all that new or unique.  And it's not an indicator that said QB won't be the starter at the beginning of the upcoming season.

Baker Mayfield, the #1 overall pick this year, is #3 on the depth chart.

Sam Darnold hasn't been officially named #3, but he's probably the only rookie with not one, but two very capable NFL starters in front of him.

And yep, you're right, Beane said Allen is #3 on the depth chart.  Beane also said, after drafting Allen, that "A lot of these guys did not come across to us as what was nationally reported about them. I don't think that's a fair label to give him is 'raw.'"

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/04/2018_nfl_draft_brandon_beane_says_josh_allen_wasnt_the_buffalo_bills_only_choice.html

3rd on the depth chart really just doesn't mean all that much.  It doesn't mean Allen doesn't need to earn it, but it also doesn't mean it would take some kind of Herculean effort on his part to overcome some kind of improbable feat.

And considering we have on our team literally the least amount of NFL starting experience at the position, I don't think Allen leapfrogging two relatively inexperienced QBs to grasp the #1 spot isn't a longshot in any way.

24 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And nothing says he won't or can't jump to #1, either, just because he's #3 right now.

-Derek Carr in his rookie year wasn't named the #2 on the depth chart until he entered Training Camp.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/derek-carr-to-enter-training-camp-as-raiders-no-2-qb-behind-matt-schaub/

He eventually won the #1 job.

-EJ Manuel was #3 on the depth chart in his rookie year.

We all know that, largely thanks to a mat, he ended up landing the #1 job.

-Or how about the headline end of July of 2016... at the beginning of Training Camp already

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-coach-sam-bradford-is-still-our-starter-carson-wentz-is-third-string/

Eagles coach: Sam Bradford is still our starter, Carson Wentz is third string

We all know how that ended up.

-Bridgewater in 2014 as OTAs began...

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/teddy-bridgewater-impresses-vikings/story?id=23761909

Although he reiterated that Bridgewater currently is third on the Vikings' depth chart at quarterback, Zimmer told reporters Friday that he wants the former Louisville star to get some work in with the first-team offense during OTAs, which begin May 28.

Who won that one again?

The idea of highly drafted rookie QBs starting #3 on the depth chart isn't exactly all that new or unique.  And it's not an indicator that said QB won't be the starter at the beginning of the upcoming season.

Baker Mayfield, the #1 overall pick this year, is #3 on the depth chart.

Sam Darnold hasn't been officially named #3, but he's probably the only rookie with not one, but two very capable NFL starters in front of him.

And yep, you're right, Beane said Allen is #3 on the depth chart.  Beane also said, after drafting Allen, that "A lot of these guys did not come across to us as what was nationally reported about them. I don't think that's a fair label to give him is 'raw.'"

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/04/2018_nfl_draft_brandon_beane_says_josh_allen_wasnt_the_buffalo_bills_only_choice.html

3rd on the depth chart really just doesn't mean all that much.  It doesn't mean Allen doesn't need to earn it, but it also doesn't mean it would take some kind of Herculean effort on his part to overcome some kind of improbable feat.

And considering we have on our team literally the least amount of NFL starting experience at the position, I don't think Allen leapfrogging two relatively inexperienced QBs to grasp the #1 spot isn't a longshot in any way.

I don't think he'll just go from 3 to 1 I think he'll have spend at least some time in the preseason at 2. Besides the idea of him working his way up the ladder I think it's likely just for how they want things to look. I mean right now he's officially the three but unofficially he's really the 2 as barring something going horribly awry when the season starts he's at least the 2 even if they decide to keep 3 quarterbacks. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not that I have a link because it was just on tonight and not that his opinion matters a ton because he's merely a former Giants OL, but on NFL Total Access tonight Sean O'hara was asked which 2018 Rookie QB would have the most success this year... he quickly and definitively said it'd be Josh Allen and gave some reasons behind it.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

If I were to guess, I'd say he's getting his fair share of team #1 reps by the end of the Mandatory Minicamp, if not sooner.

And another thing, presenting this as a simple stepladder may be a silly way to view this QB competition. Allen may never even be called "the #2," and yet under the obviously watchful eyes of McDermott and Dabol (just look at reports of how much one-on-one Dabol was doing with Allen at BOTH rookie minicamp AND OTAs) he might be named the #1 at whatever point because he's always pretty clearly being evaluated.

As to the highlighted, fair enough.  I would think the same if he is headed toward a chance of being the starter day 1.

As for the rest, I guess we'll have to see if he works his way up one step at a time or not. 

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:09 AM, Putin said:

I have to disagree ! If ( like your saying) it becomes a close competition between the 3 QB’s and will become a tough decision for the coaches ! ( IMO )  it’s not a thought decision at all you start Allen , 

If Daboll and McDermott want Josh Allen to start as soon as possible I would agree with you.  If on the other hand they want to bring him around

slower than it could get tough to make the call.

And to give credit to the OP here:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/206099-josh-allen-is-blowing-people-away-chris-simms/

At the 40:26 mark they start talking Allen. Simms claims a source in the media and in the organization and says the kid is just blowing the team away right now, to the point that when the defense isn't lined up practicing they're standing on the sideline watching Allen sling it.

tenor.gif?itemid=10898385

On 5/31/2018 at 2:46 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

And to give credit to the OP here:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/206099-josh-allen-is-blowing-people-away-chris-simms/

At the 40:26 mark they start talking Allen. Simms claims a source in the media and in the organization and says the kid is just blowing the team away right now, to the point that when the defense isn't lined up practicing they're standing on the sideline watching Allen sling it.

tenor.gif?itemid=10898385

to be fair, thats not what was said. you may have to go back and listen to it again. they were talking about Wentz when the statment was made about the defense watching the O. 'same type of things'.

6 hours ago, Foxx said:

to be fair, thats not what was said. you may have to go back and listen to it again. they were talking about Wentz when the statment was made about the defense watching the O. 'same type of things'.

Well... I guess I don't know what else 'same type of things,' but here's what he said:

"I had a member of the media up there first tell me and then I talked to, you know, somebody involved in their organization. Josh Allen is blowing people away.  I mean blowing people away. It sounds like almost a Carson Wentz thing. Not only, I think everybody is blown away by the mental approach, but practice is eye-opening like we said it would be.

They’re just blown away. It’s the coaches, the players, everybody. It’s one of those types of things again where I thought about Carson Wentz when I first heard it because those are the things I heard in Philadelphia. I can remember Fletcher Cox actually telling my dad, like, ‘No, no when Carson is out there, the defense kind of gets up and watches him cause we’re always like damn, that was unbelievable.’ And I’m hearing those same type of things from Josh Allen. It’s wowing on all levels right now.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Well... I guess I don't know what else 'same type of things,' but here's what he said:

"I had a member of the media up there first tell me and then I talked to, you know, somebody involved in their organization. Josh Allen is blowing people away.  I mean blowing people away. It sounds like almost a Carson Wentz thing. Not only, I think everybody is blown away by the mental approach, but practice is eye-opening like we said it would be.

They’re just blown away. It’s the coaches, the players, everybody. It’s one of those types of things again where I thought about Carson Wentz when I first heard it because those are the things I heard in Philadelphia. I can remember Fletcher Cox actually telling my dad, like, ‘No, no when Carson is out there, the defense kind of gets up and watches him cause we’re always like damn, that was unbelievable.’ And I’m hearing those same type of things from Josh Allen. It’s wowing on all levels right now.”

Lets hope that is exactly how it is......

If you have the rare QB......it cures a lot of ills

Does anyone else think the AJ McCarron needs a thumbs up for his OTA work so far?  It's reported he is doing a decent job with the 1's and

is helping Daboll install the new offense.  So far he is doing what he was signed for and I hope it continues.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Does anyone else think the AJ McCarron needs a thumbs up for his OTA work so far?  It's reported he is doing a decent job with the 1's and

is helping Daboll install the new offense.  So far he is doing what he was signed for and I hope it continues.

I hope it continues, too.  :thumbsup:

Because if Allen doesn't win the job, it'll bode well that McCarron is lookin good. 

And if Allen does win the job, it'll still bode well that McCarron is looking good.

Now, another thing to note, especially those people makin a big deal out of the whole Allen as the 3rd string QB even at this point:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/5-things-we-learned-from-Week-2-of-OTAs/89853d0e-7b51-4b1c-9c12-0833cebb1ee0

2 – Daboll: Don’t make depth chart assumptions
Naturally, Buffalo’s three-man quarterback competition has been the main topic of interest since OTAs began for the Bills. Everyone covering practice is understandably trying to pull whatever telling signs they can from how the quarterbacks are being utilized, rotated in and out and performing.

However, offensive coordinator Brian Daboll assures doing that now would serve no purpose as ranking the quarterbacks just isn’t something that’s top priority for the coaching staff at this point.

“It’s OTAs, so it’s more of a rep chart, not a depth chart,” Daboll said. “You’re trying to get as much work as you can with all the different groups. Whether it’s a guard going to tackle or a center going to guard or a receiver going from ‘Z’ to ‘X,’ you’re trying to provide as much flexibility within the system. You’re only going to get 46 going into a game, so the more guys know multiple things that’s critical at every position.”

And when it comes to quarterback?

“All we’re trying to do right now is take one step at a time and put the things in they’ve been working real hard on,” said Daboll. “All the guys and coaches have been working so hard. Just keep on building day by day. It’s so early in the process right now. I think it’ll sort itself out as we go along.”

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Get Allen some receivers. Otherwise, let him sit, until we do....

Meh... Benjamin is a WR. Jones might be. Kerley's a vet. Streater/Dupree/Reilly are Wildcards. If 1 or 2 of those guys other than Benjamin shows up, we're fine with an already upgraded RB corps and a now more experienced, pretty solid group of TEs.

https://clutchpoints.com/bills-news-tredavious-white-says-josh-allen-will-be-one-of-the-best-young-qbs/

“Josh Allen has been doing a great job of throwing that ball,” White said during an appearance on NFL Network. “I’d say he has a great arm. He’s been throwing it and throwing around. Be on the lookout for Josh Allen, he’s going to be one of the best young quarterbacks in this league for a long time.”