77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

20 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think it's McCarron's job to lose, but I also think Peterman is going to light it up in camp and he'll get a look as a week one starter with McCarron coming in week 2. 

I think Peterman will likely not get the reps to win a camp battle and emerge as a week 1 starter, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he made significant strides and became a legitimate back-up QB.

On 5/22/2018 at 7:44 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

I still say that McDermott had his hands tied with 4 of 5 bad games with TT under center and he felt he had to do something.  And as stated McDermott didn’t hesitate to correct his error.  

You would say wrong, pretty clearly. 

Unless you're an idiot, you can't find 4 bad games for Taylor in the stretch of Cincy, Tampa, Oakland, NYJ and NO.

You're probably one of the guys spending time in the Taylor hate thread right now. Pretty sad. Just let go.

I still say that, as reported from sources within, McDermott had his hands tied by Dennison, who wanted Taylor benched because he believed (incorrectly, obviously) that Peterman would be better in his offense.

On 5/22/2018 at 5:39 PM, Lfod said:

Well if the guy was right a lot Tyrod will still be in discussion for the Bills starting role and this would be a thread about that. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4169517

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The best guy will start.  The best guy will be McCarron

Might be.

Might not.

I think, as of right now, the best guy will start, too, but it's not McCarron.

I think those 4 years on the bench in a completely different offense with  3 NFL starts and about 130 meaningful NFL pass attempts aren't going to give him the leg up on the guy who's more talented as a QB, bigger, more athletic and smarter that you think it will.

I think mccarron will start because they don't want to kill Allen early on, our first few games are brutal defenses.

Unless Allen looks like a pro bowl player from the get go in preseason, AND the oline looks like it clicks immediately when all the new faces (which I don't see happening), I don't see him starting early on.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, billsredneck1 said:

Marvin Lewis was never going to allow a QB competition. Dalton is their franchise guy. Those who claim he couldn't beat out Dalton are just showing ignorance...

It seems pretty ignorant to imply the guy with 4 starts and 170 passing attempts would have beaten out the guy with 113 starts and 3,700 passing attempts had the Head Coach made it an open competition.

Andy Dalton's not a great QB... he's what I would say is a borderline Franchise QB, but looking at what that Franchise was before he arrived and then 5 consecutive playoff appearances once he arrived combined with an incredibly limited sample size from McCarron, it's bordering on foolish to insinuate that McCarron would have beaten Dalton out if Marvin Lewis just let him try.

20 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Fair enough... I understand your position, I just think you're being too absolute about a situation that started unfolding 2 days ago.

Maybe you're setting the bar as low as possible so as not to be disappointed. Maybe you legitimately think Allen will need that time to adjust despite the fact that the other rookie 1st round QBs recently haven't because Allen is significantly more raw.

But wouldn't it be more refreshing to see Allen win the QB competition and then start the season in those first 4 games you're afraid to throw him in?

Of course you're going to say something like "yes, but I don't think that's going to happen."

And that's fine. I just think there's a better chance of that happening than you do. And all my feelings are subject to change as we see how the Summer unfolds.

Yea it's true I really don't think it will happen. Not the part about Allen being the best QB out of camp. Just the part about him starting. My opinion isn't fact and I know that. 

Yes it would be more refreshing to see Allen win the job and start the season. I've given my reasons I feel I want them to be cautious because the value of investment and the reputations on the line. I don't have to be right about it. I just would be frustrated if they did start him and it was the wrong move and he ends up with a season ending injury or they pull him for AJ is all. 

• Like (+1) 1

This kinda stuff from Fairburn excites me!!!

Josh Allen's day

Josh Allen was the most impressive quarterback on the field Thursday. By my count, he attempted to 21 passes and only three hit the ground. Some were of the shorter variety, but Allen was ripping some deeper throws as well. He hit Austin Proehl on an impressive throw to the sideline outside the numbers. His two touchdowns were the highlights, though. Allen ripped an in-breaking route over a defender and into the hands of fellow rookie Ray-Ray McCloud for a touchdown. Later in practice, he hit Travaris Cadet in the end zone for a back-shoulder touchdown. If the idea of putting him with the third team was to build his confidence. it might be working.

Yes yes yes yes... I understand it's just OTAs :nana:

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It seems pretty ignorant to imply the guy with 4 starts and 170 passing attempts would have beaten out the guy with 113 starts and 3,700 passing attempts had the Head Coach made it an open competition.

Andy Dalton's not a great QB... he's what I would say is a borderline Franchise QB, but looking at what that Franchise was before he arrived and then 5 consecutive playoff appearances once he arrived combined with an incredibly limited sample size from McCarron, it's bordering on foolish to insinuate that McCarron would have beaten Dalton out if Marvin Lewis just let him try.

The point that I was trying to make is that there was never going to be a competition at QB with that staff yet some put a.j. down saying he couldn't beat out Dalton.

Now this is the kinda mentality I Love!

http://www.wivb.com/sports/inside-the-buffalo-huddle/allen-excited-to-compete-against-bills-secondary/1199109623#

Allen excited to compete against Bills secondary

“They’re jumping on balls now. We’ve got guys that are fantastic players -- Micah Hyde, [Jordan] Poyer, and then you’ve got a vet like Vontae Davis out there and he’s pushing our receivers to be better and making sure that, as quarterbacks, we’re putting the ball where it needs to be.

Iron sharpens iron.  That’s kind of the mindset that, when you’re practicing, you should have. You should be able to look across to the guy next to you and the guy that you’re competing with and say, ‘I’m going to make you better, you’re going to make me better’ and go at it like that.”

It's ridiculously too early to make this type of prediction, but I'll go ahead and pick Allen.

I think they want him to play right away and it shouldn't be too hard for him to make the other 2 QBs look bad in training camp/pre-season games.

The whole thing will be couched in terms of an "open competition" with no No. 1 etc...but they have their guy and they want the starter to be Allen.

It will be sold as Allen giving the team the best chance to win rolling into Week 1.

14 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

It's ridiculously too early to make this type of prediction, but I'll go ahead and pick Allen.

I think they want him to play right away and it shouldn't be too hard for him to make the other 2 QBs look bad in training camp/pre-season games.

The whole thing will be couched in terms of an "open competition" with no No. 1 etc...but they have their guy and they want the starter to be Allen.

It will be sold as Allen giving the team the best chance to win rolling into Week 1.

Agreed. And I know it's way too early, but that's what makes it fun :thumbsup:

If we started predictions after preseason game 1 or something and everyone predicted Allen because Allen looked better for the entire Summer, it's no longer really a prediction, more of a "Thanks Captain Obvious" statement.

On 5/23/2018 at 11:42 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Fair enough... I understand your position, I just think you're being too absolute about a situation that started unfolding 2 days ago.

Maybe you're setting the bar as low as possible so as not to be disappointed. Maybe you legitimately think Allen will need that time to adjust despite the fact that the other rookie 1st round QBs recently haven't because Allen is significantly more raw.

But wouldn't it be more refreshing to see Allen win the QB competition and then start the season in those first 4 games you're afraid to throw him in? 

Of course you're going to say something like "yes, but I don't think that's going to happen."

And that's fine. I just think there's a better chance of that happening than you do. And all my feelings are subject to change as we see how the Summer unfolds.

on the road in balt. and then against the chargers?....oh hell no

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

Well you should just find a way to get McDermott to bubble wrap Allen for a couple years I guess so he doesn't have to be traumatized by an NFL defense and can really shine in 2020 :nana:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Well you should just find a way to get McDermott to bubble wrap Allen for a few years I guess so he doesn't have to be traumatized by an NFL defense and can really shine in 2020 :nana:

How do you equate having Josh Allen avoid starting the 1st 4 games (which I agree with) and having him "bubble wrapped" for a few (means more than 2) years?

You are getting  close to "crusade" mode with your reasoning.

Nothing Josh Allen will face in Training Camp or Preseason will come close to what he would see from the Raven and Charger defenses those

first 2 weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

Voted McCarron,

McCarron seems like the wisest choice in my humble opinion.

On the other hand I could see and thoroughly enjoy a scenario where Allen just looks so impressive it causes McD and Co. to consider giving Josh Allen the start.

38 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

How do you equate having Josh Allen avoid starting the 1st 4 games (which I agree with) and having him "bubble wrapped" for a few (means more than 2) years?

You are getting  close to "crusade" mode with your reasoning.

Nothing Josh Allen will face in Training Camp or Preseason will come close to what he would see from the Raven and Charger defenses those

first 2 weeks.

So keep the NFL QB away from the NFL defenses?

If Allen isn't ready or isn't the winner of the QB competition, don't play him.

But the notion that we just have to keep him away from the big bad Ravens and Chargers so that we can ease him into seeing an NFL defense no matter how much he impresses in the offseason is just silly.

• Like (+1) 1