77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think Allen flashes enough in preseason/TC, more so than McCarron, and they end up riding with the rookie as the opening day starter. 

The preseason is made for qbs to look good.  EJ and Trent looked really good in the preseason. Much different when teams game plan. 

7 hours ago, nikuman said:

I have an incredibly high degree of faith in this coaching staff, but given the losses we took on the o-line I honestly can't see how anyone believes that our starting QB doesn't spend half the season on his backside.  For that reason alone, I really hope that they don't start Allen this year. 

The OL is the biggest question mark, but just because it's a question mark doesn't mean it's automatically going to be worse so don't start the rookie. They might be better than last year. They might be pretty good. Glenn never even played under McDermott, so he's not a loss, and honestly, I think Groy/Bodine might just be a lateral step (or even a step forward praying.gif ) from Wood/Incognito.

And I think the Bills offensive roster is better than last year.

Shady and Ivory and Cadet is a good, maybe extremely good backfield... much better than last year simply by letting go of Tolbert.

Clay is a really good TE. O'leary I honestly think will be productive in the NFL for a long time. Logan Thomas has tons of potential for a TE.

Benjamin is at least a true #1 WR. McDermott I assume had plenty of input in last year's draft, so I'd say he still has confidence Jones can be a capable #2, but besides him there are players like Reilly and Streater who I'm excited to see along with the vet Kerley and some other players. Our WR corps is already better than last year just with a healthy Benjamin.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Off the board choice, Colin Kaepernick!

but it needs to be McCarron.  He might be terrible but he is a vet and this offense could crush Allen’s confidence.

Good lord.  Now I've heard it all.  Why don't you go read Tim Graham's series on Josh Allen and then come back and tell me you think this is a kid who will have his confidence "crushed" if he has to endure some struggles in his rookie season?

The takes around this place have gone simply insane.

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Do we trust McDermott with qbs after the Chargers debacle?

I just have a lot of worries about a guy who struggles in the Mountain West playing in the nfl as a rookie.  I think it could crush him and the offense around him looks shaky at best.  

Yes, because I think his OC coerced him into starting Peterman in that game and he only let that carry on for a half and said Taylor, not Peterman was his starter from thereon out.

I think he has a much closer, more confident relationship with Dabol.

Allen's biggest issue - his footwork - would be helped by not playing immediately. He needs thousands and thousands of reps to fix his footwork so it's muscle memory and not something he has to think about. It's been shown time and time again that when a player gets thrown into action too soon he just reverts back to his sloppy mechanics because instinct takes over. The sooner Josh Allen plays the less likely he ever fixes his footwork. 

I'm interested in Allen being the long term solution for the Bills and not someone they just throw out there hoping he's better than the other crap they have at QB this year. If that means sitting for a year then so be it. Personally, I want a QB who is better than Cam Newton and without fixing his footwork I see that as Allen's ceiling right now.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

I voted AJ, mostly because that’s what I’m hoping for. I feel like Allen will need some time to get acclimated, but then, I’ve never even met the guy! It’s entirely possible that he is far enough advanced and has the mental makeup to play from the get go. I just hope they don’t throw him in before he’s (close enough to) ready. 

I really want a.j. to get  his shot and start the season. I feel like he can take us to the playoffs and also or mostly empathy. I also think we need to carry 3 QBs so that at the end of the year we have options to gain assets for next year.

27 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The OL is the biggest question mark, but just because it's a question mark doesn't mean it's automatically going to be worse so don't start the rookie. They might be better than last year. They might be pretty good. Glenn never even played under McDermott, so he's not a loss, and honestly, I think Groy/Bodine might just be a lateral step (or even a step forward praying.gif ) from Wood/Incognito.

And I think the Bills offensive roster is better than last year.

Shady and Ivory and Cadet is a good, maybe extremely good backfield... much better than last year simply by letting go of Tolbert.

Clay is a really good TE. O'leary I honestly think will be productive in the NFL for a long time. Logan Thomas has tons of potential for a TE.

Benjamin is at least a true #1 WR. McDermott I assume had plenty of input in last year's draft, so I'd say he still has confidence Jones can be a capable #2, but besides him there are players like Reilly and Streater who I'm excited to see along with the vet Kerley and some other players. Our WR corps is already better than last year just with a healthy Benjamin.

Wow I fully agree with every sentence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Let's be honest, you only want Allen to start because your impatient. I think everyone would want Allen to win the job and be the face of the franchise.

Unfortunately the team just doesn't have a strong offenseive foundation to throw a first round draft pick in and expect him to be the X factor in everything else gelling around him. 

You don't consider we have an offence in transition. You don't consider a new scheme and a new OC is in the building. Obviously the smart thing to do is protect the draft pick and sacrifice the Vet. At least until you feel that the offense has a rythm and you feel you can pull the Vet put in the rookie and get better results. If that rythm happens in preseason then fine do it. 

You would risk your draft pick long before you even know if it's really the right choice or not. Your only logic is that he was a first round pick and others have done it so can he. Different teams with different situations isn't a factor. 

I voted AJ wins the starting job. I'm not any kind of an expert but I do think putting in AJ first to see what you have and being protective of your first round pick until your more comfortable with the offenseive situation is the smartest choice and I believe McDermott is the same way. 

You can not start Allen and be wrong. It's not a situation you can get cute with just because you want to know what you have immediately. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just have a lot of worries about a guy who struggles in the Mountain West playing in the nfl as a rookie.  I think it could crush him and the offense around him looks shaky at best.  

We are talking about 1 game in a 16 game season.....and he quickly did the right thing and didnt get stubborn about it.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The preseason is made for qbs to look good.  EJ and Trent looked really good in the preseason. Much different when teams game plan. 

We will know with who starts the 3rd preseason game. Allen will be facing a pretty good defense in practice, especially in the Secondary. If he shines in TC and it carries over to the games then I think he gets the nod over McCarron regardless of being a rookie or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:
1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We are talking about 1 game in a 16 game season.....and he quickly did the right thing and didnt get stubborn about it.

I still say that McDermott had his hands tied with 4 of 5 bad games with TT under center and he felt he had to do something.  And as stated McDermott didn’t hesitate to correct his error.  

• Like (+1) 1

image.thumb.png.90a34fcb3afaf4def2bd0717f79fa510.png

Good to see that most here are informed and understand that Josh Allen is going to be developed behind AJ. We drafted him because of his potential and not his readiness to play week 1. That said I understand the people that voted for him to start week one. My question is who are the 7 people that voted for Nate?

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Like your comment is the definitive word.

McCarron starts week 1.  And we should hope for the year, as it would mean he's playing well and it will give Allen time to learn

This is based on the basic premise that bench learning is the best learning.

I disagree.

I hope--under the conditions that Allen actually wins the QB competition, is able to play above a certain baseline threshold and our OL isn't in complete shambles--that Allen starts.

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

image.thumb.png.90a34fcb3afaf4def2bd0717f79fa510.png

Good to see that most here are informed and understand that Josh Allen is going to be developed behind AJ. We drafted him because of his potential and not his readiness to play week 1. That said I understand the people that voted for him to start week one. My question is who are the 7 people that voted for Nate?

The informed ones might also understand that if Allen is by far and away the best option at QB going into the season, then he will start.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is based on the basic premise that bench learning is the best learning.

I disagree.

I hope--under the conditions that Allen actually wins the QB competition, is able to play above a certain baseline threshold and our OL isn't in complete shambles--that Allen starts.

I disagree with your disagreement

14 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I think Allen would have to be absolutely lights out during training camp and preseason to get the starting job over McCarron 

And McCarron has to play like crap.