Reagan Was My Hero And Trump Is His Clone (Somewhat)

For those of you that weren't politically aware way back in the 80's, Ronald Reagan brought this country out of misery. His optimism and policies were the first MAGA. Trump is following in his steps but has forgotten that finesse and humor is the "In like Flint way" . He'll figure it out, but is there anymore evidence of his competence?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can see how conservatives can see the similarities in their rise to power and similar policies, but Reagan was the "shining city on the hill" optimist who was one of the best presidents ever at bringing Americans together.  He had a whimsical, fatherly way about him that inspired people and gave them hope (similar to FDR during the depression).  Trump's personal insults both on the campaign trail and in office to people on both sides of the aisle have turned too many people off for him to ever get the national adoration Reagan had.  Reagan was the master at using self deprecating humor, while Trump is funny when making fun of other people (at the same time pissing half the country off).  

I would argue that as far as how they approach the office, Trump is similar to Obama so far.   They're obviously on the opposite side of the political spectrum and have different personalities/styles.  However, both are beloved by their base and loathed by the other side.  Both use/used authoritarian rhetoric that they alone are the key to fixing this nation's problems.  Both are narcissistic, thin skinned, stubborn, and overly concerned about their legacy.  Both claim that they want to bring this country together, but their actions don't meet their rhetoric as they just seem to deepen the tribalism and partisan divide (Obama inviting BLM activists to the White House, Trump pardoning Joe Arpiao and calling private citizens SOB's for kneeling during anthem).  Their major piece of legislation when their party has/had control of Congress (ACA for Obama, Tax reform for Trump) was passed without one vote from the other side.  Will Trump use his pen as aggressively as Obama did if Dems gain the House or Senate?  We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Idk, I like a lot of the insults and think most are deserved. The smugness from those in the ivory towers has gotten a little out of hand over the past couple of decades. 

I agree. It is a necessary evil.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

For those of you that weren't politically aware way back in the 80's, Ronald Reagan brought this country out of misery. His optimism and policies were the first MAGA. Trump is following in his steps but has forgotten that finesse and humor is the "In like Flint way" . He'll figure it out, but is there anymore evidence of his competence?

Trump will figure it out? I have serious doubts that Trump can succeed based on his first 1.5 years in office. 

The tariff war with China went poorly because Trump failed to lead a unified team, and with other negotiations (NK, Iran) coming up it is worrisome.

2 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Trump will figure it out? I have serious doubts that Trump can succeed based on his first 1.5 years in office. 

The tariff war with China went poorly because Trump failed to lead a unified team, and with other negotiations (NK, Iran) coming up it is worrisome.

We'll see.

things are different, Reagan appeared during my undergrad years, much enjoyed, had a great buildup in my life from Bill Buckley to be ready for this

it's not the same anymore, or at least I got the seriousness out of my system by the closing of Papa Bush's admin.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I can see how conservatives can see the similarities in their rise to power and similar policies, but Reagan was the "shining city on the hill" optimist who was one of the best presidents ever at bringing Americans together.  He had a whimsical, fatherly way about him that inspired people and gave them hope (similar to FDR during the depression).  Trump's personal insults both on the campaign trail and in office to people on both sides of the aisle have turned too many people off for him to ever get the national adoration Reagan had.  Reagan was the master at using self deprecating humor, while Trump is funny when making fun of other people (at the same time pissing half the country off).  

I would argue that as far as how they approach the office, Trump is similar to Obama so far.   They're obviously on the opposite side of the political spectrum and have different personalities/styles.  However, both are beloved by their base and loathed by the other side.  Both use/used authoritarian rhetoric that they alone are the key to fixing this nation's problems.  Both are narcissistic, thin skinned, stubborn, and overly concerned about their legacy.  Both claim that they want to bring this country together, but their actions don't meet their rhetoric as they just seem to deepen the tribalism and partisan divide (Obama inviting BLM activists to the White House, Trump pardoning Joe Arpiao and calling private citizens SOB's for kneeling during anthem).  Their major piece of legislation when their party has/had control of Congress (ACA for Obama, Tax reform for Trump) was passed without one vote from the other side.  Will Trump use his pen as aggressively as Obama did if Dems gain the House or Senate?  We shall see.

Well said.  Hopefully the result of Trump will be the re-establishment of the 3 branches of government

1 hour ago, Buddy Hix said:

It went very well. We secured far more farming exports and cut tariffs on automobiles double digits... That's just the tip of the iceberg. A $380 billion reduction in the trade deficit!!!! This will be the largest annual reduction in history. Where do you people get your news??

Those scary tweets made it so horrible!!!??

Edited by SmokinES3

34 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

It went very well. We secured far more farming exports and cut tariffs on automobiles double digits... That's just the tip of the iceberg. A $380 billion reduction in the trade deficit!!!! This will be the largest annual reduction in history. Where do you people get your news??

someone sees this more seriously than taking a piss?

46 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1IN2DT?__twitter_impression=true

From Trump himself...

And capitulating on ZTE seems like a weak stance, no?

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

someone sees this more seriously than taking a piss?

Taking a piss can be a very serious need. Try doing an outside wedding rehearsal in front of a fountain with a female minister after having a few beers. Oh, with no way to get into the building to take a piss. So yes, pissing can become very serious.

1 minute ago, Buddy Hix said:

From Trump himself...

We'll see.

17 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Taking a piss can be a very serious need. Try doing an outside wedding rehearsal in front of a fountain with a female minister after having a few beers. Oh, with no way to get into the building to take a piss. So yes, pissing can become very serious.

We'll see.

do you American say

taking A piss

or

taking THE piss?

We get caught in the middle of the two civilizations, not in that sense though....

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

do you American say

taking A piss

or

taking THE piss?

We get caught in the middle of the two civilizations, not in that sense though....

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, but we say "taking a piss". Do you Canadians still have a chamber pot next to your bed and sell your piss to the tannery down the street? 

Edited by 3rdnlng

48 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, but we say "taking a piss". Do you Canadians still have a chamber pot next to your bed and sell your piss to the tannery down the street? 

Woe to the unlucky Canuckian who dares to bring stale urine from a female to the local tannery. Not only is it unseemly, but it completely ruins the batch of dye.

I think the punishment is 3 years of not being allowed to watch hockey or curling. It's akin to the death penalty.

10 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Woe to the unlucky Canuckian who dares to bring stale urine from a female to the local tannery. Not only is it unseemly, but it completely ruins the batch of dye.

I think the punishment is 3 years of not being allowed to watch hockey or curling. It's akin to the death penalty.

I don't care about hockey, I just watch the Leafs.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

do you American say

taking A piss

or

taking THE piss?

Actually, we overthrew the British Crown two and a half centuries ago just so we didn't have to use that stupid expression.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

From Trump himself...

That Reuters blurb said nothing and inferred things are going poorly... That's par for the course when it comes to Reuters.

We banned ZTE from conducting business here recently. It's being used as a bargaining chip. I don't see that as weak personally... 

• Like (+1) 1