2018 Schedule Weeks 5-8

Part 2 of the Season Preview from my perspective

Week 5 At home vs Tennessee

Bills coming home after a pair of tough NFC North matchups.  Tennessee wants to play run orientated smash mouth football but finds the Bills defense a tough nut to crack.  Bills back 7 shuts down Titans subpar passing game and then takes the lead forcing the Titans into catch-up mode.  Late turnovers seal the game as the passing game begins to click and make plays.  One score lead going into the 4th quarter extends to a 13 point victory.

Bills 27 Titans 14

Week 6 @ Houston

Bills take their road show for the 4th time in 6 outings and head down to Houston to take on the Texans.  Bills defensive line dominates this game stuffing the running game and putting pressure on Deshon Watson and his receivers.  Bills struggle against Texans front 7 and game moves into 4th quarter tied at 13.  Bills running game comes to the rescue and generates a long TD drive and the secondary comes down with a late interception to seal the victory.  Final score

Bills 20 Texans 13

Week 7 at Indianapolis

The road show moves to Indy as they take on the rebuilding Colts.  Andrew Luck makes Indy better and additions on the offensive line help his protection and running game, but the Bills are the better squad and maintain an edge throughout.  Running the ball well, controlling the clock and special teams winning the field position battle.  Three Haushka fg's and three TD's are enough to handle late Luck led comeback, final score

Bills 30 Colts 24

Week 8 Home for Monday Night football vs New England

Crazy atmosphere right before Halloween ? and the added incentive of Thurman's jersey Retirement make for a loud wild Monday night with the division leading Patriots.  Wild back and forth game with Brady having some success but not as much as usual.  Bills also moving the ball well with Shady and Ivory.  As usual Bills dominating the special teams.  But a late Brady TD pass fuels the comeback so the final score

Patriots 27 Bills 24

So, midpoint of the season the Bills are 5-3, 2nd place in the AFC EAST, 5th seed in the AFC with 5-1 conference record.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No idea how you think the Bills are going to average 25 points a game in a 4 game stretch at any point during the season with the offense as it stands right now.

****, I'd be surprised if the team can put up at least 25 in a two game stretch at any point this year. 

It's my belief that this offense will get better as the season moves forward.  McCarron is better in my opinion that what people think and the offensive line and skill positions will be better then advertised.  Plus in three of the 4 games the Bills are playing the bottom half defensive teams in the league (minus a healthy Texans D)

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

No idea how you think the Bills are going to average 25 points a game in a 4 game stretch at any point during the season with the offense as it stands right now.

****, I'd be surprised if the team can put up at least 25 in a two game stretch at any point this year. 

Nobody takes an unknown and turns it into a guaranteed negative like ScottLaw.

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I usually just go with the opposite of whatever your prediction is. Your batting average is pretty bad so I figure the chances are I'm going to be right.?

Nice try.  You'd be better off just admitting your misery and seeking professional help for your BBFS.  There are wonderful pharmaceuticals out there these days.

OK sooo I predicted the Bills in first four weeks would go 1-3 (W vs LAC, L vs GB, MIN, BAL). I am operating under the premise that Allen is the starter at this point also

Week 5 Tennessee Titans Win 23-14

The Titans are a team in transition and this is a great match up for our improved defense. The Titans lost a little bit on their defense last season also so I think our O-line can be ok against them and help Shady have a good day. I could see this as one of those games were Allen has a good day and shows the flashes you want to see from a rookie QB. Additionally with a new coach it usually takes a year for things to take a hold unless your QB is super special, Mariota isn't there at this point.

Bills 2-3 on the season.

Week 6 @ Houston Texans Loss 27-13

I don't know why I've read so many Bills fans who think this game is a win I see it as one of the more assured losses. The Texans assuming they are healthy have a Top 5 defense and a QB who looks like he is Aaron Rodgers 2.0. Best case scenario is the defense can keep it something like 17-6 at the start of the fourth before the Texans pull away and we score in garbage time late.

Bills 2-4 on the season.

Week 7 @ Indianapolis Colts Win 24-17

Even with Luck the Colts need a lot of pieces at this point to be competitive. This is game I could see the Bills front 7 dominating throughout and not giving the IND QB much time. Additionally IND defense is still very porous and the Bills offense should have opportunities to move the ball pretty well. I could see this game as one where Allen has a chance to throw over 300 yards for the first time given the caliber of opponents before this.

Bills 3-4 on the season

Week 8 New England Loss 24-14

I am at the point I won't ever pick the Bills to beat NE unless its week 17 when it doesn't matter for the Patriots. That said I do not think they are the juggernaut they've been their WR corp has taken some hits, their defense is a middling unit that lacks guys up front, and in general there does seem to be some shakiness in the organization. They still are Top 2 in the AFC but I think the Bills can make a game of it where it is close late in the fourth with the Patriots needing a late FG to pull away. I don't doubt our crowd or the defense playing lights out but the offense I just think needs more time.

Bills 3-5 on the season

So midpoint of the season I have the Bills at 3-5 and truthfully I wouldn't be disappointed as long as the defense played strong and Allen shows signs of growth. I also think people predicting records .500 or better are severely underestimating the difficulty of teams like Houston and Baltimore while overrating our offense chance to succeed. It is very rare for a rookie QB to come in given the lack of parts we have and tear it from day 1. For every success story there are 10 failures or growing pains type seasons that a rookie QB has.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Nobody takes an unknown and turns it into a guaranteed negative like ScottLaw.

I mean, is he wrong?  What would be the Vegas line for us averaging 25 points/ games?  I think if we win this year, it’s going to be 17-14 type games.

Too early for me. I always do a full 16 game schedule prediction during the pre-season with scores and a bit of colour for fun too.  In 2016 I was strikingly accurate although was one game out on the record as I had them winning week 1 at Baltimore.  Last season I had them 5-3 at mid season (which they were) but then had them slumping to 7-9 and obviously the Bills came home at 9-7.  

43 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean, is he wrong?  What would be the Vegas line for us averaging 25 points/ games?  I think if we win this year, it’s going to be 17-14 type games.

How many people predicted Minnesota's offense to be what it was last year with journeyman Case Keenum as the starter and a rookie running back?  Who predicted Houston's putrid offense to become the force it became by the entry of their rookie QB.  They were horrid and then their offense kept them in almost every game while Watson was playing.  It doesn't matter what anyone including vegas predicts now, we have too much roster turnover to know what the offense will be.  Some people lean towards the optimistic view in the mist of uncertainty and some lean towards the pessimistic view.

Edited by Buffalo30

57 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He's making a prediction in advance of even knowing who will line up at the positions.  That's the very definition of pessimism.  He's neither right nor wrong.

12 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Part 2 of the Season Preview from my perspective

Week 5 At home vs Tennessee

Bills coming home after a pair of tough NFC North matchups.  Tennessee wants to play run orientated smash mouth football but finds the Bills defense a tough nut to crack.  Bills back 7 shuts down Titans subpar passing game and then takes the lead forcing the Titans into catch-up mode.  Late turnovers seal the game as the passing game begins to click and make plays.  One score lead going into the 4th quarter extends to a 13 point victory.

Bills 27 Titans 14

Week 6 @ Houston

Bills take their road show for the 4th time in 6 outings and head down to Houston to take on the Texans.  Bills defensive line dominates this game stuffing the running game and putting pressure on Deshon Watson and his receivers.  Bills struggle against Texans front 7 and game moves into 4th quarter tied at 13.  Bills running game comes to the rescue and generates a long TD drive and the secondary comes down with a late interception to seal the victory.  Final score

Bills 20 Texans 13

Week 7 at Indianapolis

The road show moves to Indy as they take on the rebuilding Colts.  Andrew Luck makes Indy better and additions on the offensive line help his protection and running game, but the Bills are the better squad and maintain an edge throughout.  Running the ball well, controlling the clock and special teams winning the field position battle.  Three Haushka fg's and three TD's are enough to handle late Luck led comeback, final score

Bills 30 Colts 24

Week 8 Home for Monday Night football vs New England

Crazy atmosphere right before Halloween ? and the added incentive of Thurman's jersey Retirement make for a loud wild Monday night with the division leading Patriots.  Wild back and forth game with Brady having some success but not as much as usual.  Bills also moving the ball well with Shady and Ivory.  As usual Bills dominating the special teams.  But a late Brady TD pass fuels the comeback so the final score

Patriots 27 Bills 24

So, midpoint of the season the Bills are 5-3, 2nd place in the AFC EAST, 5th seed in the AFC with 5-1 conference record.

Yep I'm on board here and figure 2_2 over the first four. After ne. comes the kick butt win streak enroute to 11-5.

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

How many people predicted Minnesota's offense to be what it was last year with journeyman Case Keenum as the starter and a rookie running back?  Who predicted Houston's putrid offense to become the force it became by the entry of their rookie QB.  They were horrid and then their offense kept them in almost every game while Watson was playing.  It doesn't matter what anyone including vegas predicts now, we have too much roster turnover to know what the offense will be.  Some people lean towards the optimistic view in the mist of uncertainty and some lean towards the pessimistic view.

Obviously that can happen.  There’s not much to suggest that given our OC, whoever the qb is, an oline who has to replace 4 starters, & one of the worst receiving groups to predict that.

maybe AJ is Tom Brady.  More likely, he is a backup type qb who is getting miscasted as a starter.

@ScottLaw since you think the Bills' WRs are crap before you've even seen the offense this year, here's a tweet from our own @Astrobot that shows at least someone has a different, more neutral, perspective:

#Bills have 5 WRs with >65 pro/college grades from PFF: 
Austin Proehl  80.3
Kelvin Benjamin 79.1
Jeremy Kerley  73.7
Ray-Ray McCloud  68.5
Rod Streater  65.2
That doesn't include potential breakout WRs Zay Jones (43.6), Cam Phillips, and Robert Foster, as well as Andre Holmes.

Benjamin is legit.  Kerley has had success.  Streater looked great last offseason until he got hurt.  I know you don't like Jones but he has talent, and both rookies have high grades.