Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

We all can conjure up our prognostications but to me the best case is AJ battles it out w/ Nate but wins & looks good enough to carry the load for a while. This would be great as we could then get some compensation for him as Peterman shows enough to be backup next year. I actually like Peterman but I don't believe he's in Allen's league. No telling what AJ has to offer. IMO if you truly study Allen's game tape, The Man can play. No way he doesn't blow away his competition by next year at the latest. FUN TO WATCH - Cant wait!!!

On 5/21/2018 at 5:16 PM, BurpleBull said:

Nathan Peterman will win the starting QB position barring injury. He'll be much improved from last season.

Excited about Josh Allen as the starting QB, but Peterman is the guy people aren't talking about right now who will have everyone talking by the end of training camp.

He's worked on his mechanics, is said to have added velocity to his throws, has a lot to prove and is no stranger to struggling early in his career and picking himself up.

A little talked about fact concerning Peterman is that he's right up there with Allen as Bills QB's who've scored high on the Wonderlic test for those who equate the test to mental sharpness.

I still hold to the belief that Peterman was at the very least a third round prospect in his draft class.

Peterman will be the guy.

So this is how I have it panning out... 

1. Peterman

2. McCarron

3. Allen

With Allen at three for his protection as he starts out his young career.

I see you joined this board on April 27, 2017.

Welcome to the board, Nate. 

On 5/21/2018 at 6:19 PM, CSBill said:

Someone check what Burple is smoking.

I think it's more likely he's on some blue and yellow burple pills. 

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

All kidding aside, Peterman being the starter is not ridiculous at all if:

1) Allen is just not ready and needs to sit for a while

2) McCarron looks freaking horrible in camp and pre-season, which is a distinct possibility

3) Peterman shows improvement in all aspects  of his game, which is also a distinct possibility

The wildcard in this is that Peterman is McBeane's guy and they will give him every chance to succeed, maybe even including some he doesn't totally deserve.

You left out 4,5, and 6. This post is extremely convenient and omits that Peterman could also range from anywhere to average to below average to awful... Which are also realistic possibilities, more realistic ones in my opinion. Also, I don't think you know what distinct means. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

I do not understand why everyone is so sure this will not happen. If the coaches do not believe in our Oline they will not throw Allen out there to be killed as was David Carr. In that case I suspect Peterman might beat out McCarron since Peterman has shown the willingness to throw a ball quickly when necessary. Yes I realize what happened in LA.

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I do not understand why everyone is so sure this will not happen. If the coaches do not believe in our Oline they will not throw Allen out there to be killed as was David Carr. In that case I suspect Peterman might beat out McCarron since Peterman has shown the willingness to throw a ball quickly when necessary. Yes I realize what happened in LA.

That 5 interception game is Petermans reputation. It is what was visible to the world. It is mostly the only thing people have to formulate an opinion on. 

Even in the snow game he still ran head first into trouble and it was lights out for him. Nap time with no milk or cookies first. I respect Peterman for that. In the end he was trying to win. It cost him a lot. He attacked when the other guy played timid. I like Peterman more then Tyrod all day long. I'd rather see a guy try and fail then a guy trying to protect his stats for the future and still fail.....

At this point the only person that can change the perception of him is Nathan Peterman. Not many people will throw in a vote of confidence. I don't know what he has done behind the scenes to improve. If he attacked his problems the way he ran that ball head first into the snow that day he might have gained some ground. 

I just don't think it's a good time to put in effort to change the preception on him. If you believe in Peterman then be prepared to hear about the 5 interceptions because until he does different it's a permanent tattoo on him. 

So even though I support Peterman I absolutely understand why everyone is so sure it won't happen. A later round pick that was already a long shot to begin with bombs in his first performance in the not for long league. Peterman becoming good would only benefit the bottom line. I don't think there is a person in this discussion that wouldn't come around if Peterman is winning games. It's about proving one's self and he hasn't done that yet publicly. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Lfod said:

That 5 interception game is Petermans reputation. It is what was visible to the world. It is mostly the only thing people have to formulate an opinion on. 

Even in the snow game he still ran head first into trouble and it was lights out for him. Nap time with no milk or cookies first. I respect Peterman for that. In the end he was trying to win. It cost him a lot. He attacked when the other guy played timid. I like Peterman more then Tyrod all day long. I'd rather see a guy try and fail then a guy trying to protect his stats for the future and still fail.....

At this point the only person that can change the perception of him is Nathan Peterman. Not many people will throw in a vote of confidence. I don't know what he has done behind the scenes to improve. If he attacked his problems the way he ran that ball head first into the snow that day he might have gained some ground. 

I just don't think it's a good time to put in effort to change the preception on him. If you believe in Peterman then be prepared to hear about the 5 interceptions because until he does different it's a permanent tattoo on him. 

So even though I support Peterman I absolutely understand why everyone is so sure it won't happen. A later round pick that was already a long shot to begin with bombs in his first performance in the not for long league. Peterman becoming good would only benefit the bottom line. I don't think there is a person in this discussion that wouldn't come around if Peterman is winning games. It's about proving one's self and he hasn't done that yet publicly. 

Great summary of Nate Peterman and where he stands.

This should end the thread.....................but it probably won't!

4 hours ago, Lfod said:

That's somewhat of a cheap shot at Taylor and I'm somebody who is happy he left this offseason.  Preferring a gun slinger to a more careful quarterback is fine, but I don't think stats were on Taylor's mind while on the field.  Taylor's flaws were well documented, but I have deep respect for his work ethic and his leaderships skills. Taylor had no problem lobbing those 50/50 balls up to Watkins (when he was healthy).  I think the reason Taylor didn't try and force the ball to make plays is his belief in his own escapability to either run for the first down or scramble around the pocket to eventually find an open receiver.  He calculated that the former had a better chance of success.

• Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The chances of Nathan Peterman being a successful or even passable NFL Quarterback have precisely zero to do with Tyrod Taylor.  I can't understand why he keeps being referred to. 

I think that the answer is because “he’s not Tyrod.” Some people wanted anyone but Tyrod last year and were happy to see Peterman. At the same time they now protect him because he’s the guy they wanted. No one likes to be wrong about a guy. They are willing to give him every opportunity to prove them right.

If Peterman didn’t fall on his face last year I don’t think that we’d see anyone lobbying for or against him. He’d just be a camp arm. At this point though everyone has strong feelings because there is a resume. One side can say “I think this because...” while the other side can say “yeah but....” If Peterman didn’t play at all last year the talk about him would be so much less. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think the opposite. If Peterman didn't look completely incompetent out there a lot more fans would be screaming for him to win the job..... and I'd think you'd see a lot more press from the team propping Peterman up. 

I don’t think that’s the case because of Allen. No one would be more excited about a 5th round pick with limited physical skills over a guy that you traded up into the top 10 for. There would be a McCarron camp (aka: let the kid develop) and an Allen camp (aka: take off the training wheels).

If you notice anyone that advocates for Peterman points to the positives from last year. That’s the basis for the support. If he hadn’t done ANYTHING than the people in the camp of “we don’t know what he will be if we haven’t seen him” would be pushing for Allen. That same thing applies to him but with WAY greater physical tools. 

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe so, at that point though he may be Chase Daniel. He thought that he’d get a chance a few times and never did. He cleaned up financially though. He bounced around signing deal after deal. He has started 2 games in his career and made $25M.

To take it to another level when all is said and done Tyrod Taylor already has had a lucrative career and will continue to add to that bank vault amount of money even when he gets replace as a starter by Mayfield. Taylor is a sixth round pick who has surpassed a lot of higher drafted players. He's a high character and low maintenance player with a high work ethic.

To me he is not a franchise qb and will never be. But that doesn't me he can't have an important role on a team as a backup or spot starter. The NFL is a relatively short career. When his career is finished he is going to look back and realize he did very well for himself. Because he is such a responsible person the money he will have made will put him in a comfortable position for the rest of his life. To put things in perspective Michael Vick was the first player taken in his draft year. He has earned an incredible amount of money in his career. While Vick squandered most of it because of his off field antics in comparison Taylor is set for life, at least from a financial standpoint.   

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

To take it to another level when all is said and done Tyrod Taylor already has had a lucrative career and will continue to add to that bank vault amount of money even when he gets replace as a starter by Mayfield. Taylor is a sixth round pick who has surpassed a lot of higher drafted players. He's a high character and low maintenance player with a high work ethic.

To me he is not a franchise qb and will never be. But that doesn't me he can't have an important role on a team as a backup or spot starter. The NFL is a relatively short career. When his career is finished he is going to look back and realize he did very well for himself. Because he is such a responsible person the money he will have made will put him in a comfortable position for the rest of his life. To put things in perspective Michael Vick was the first player taken in his draft year. He has earned an incredible amount of money in his career. While Vick squandered most of it because of his off field antics in comparison Taylor is set for life, at least from a financial standpoint.   

There is something to be said for guys that hang around the NFL for a while. I suspect McCarron will be one of those guys. There may never be a time where he starts a lot of games. It’s entirely possible that McCarron has a 10-12 year career and starts less than 10-12 games. Chase Daniel is in year 10 with 2 starts and $25M. That’s not bad work if you can get it.

To your point, the trick is you have to be reliable on and off the field, smart, a hard worker, show flashes and never rock the boat. McCarron can check all of those boxes. That’s the recipe for sticking around. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that the answer is because “he’s not Tyrod.” Some people wanted anyone but Tyrod last year and were happy to see Peterman. At the same time they now protect him because he’s the guy they wanted. No one likes to be wrong about a guy. They are willing to give him every opportunity to prove them right.

If Peterman didn’t fall on his face last year I don’t think that we’d see anyone lobbying for or against him. He’d just be a camp arm. At this point though everyone has strong feelings because there is a resume. One side can say “I think this because...” while the other side can say “yeah but....” If Peterman didn’t play at all last year the talk about him would be so much less. 

And I was much lower on Tyrod than you through the last year and a half of his time here.  I was also someone firmly of the view from the very start of last season that at some point the regime was going to want to "see what they have" in Peterman.  That didn't change my view that I didn't see it as likely that Peterman succeeded but I thought it was inevitable that they would get him on the field at some point. 

Just not being Tyrod is not enough to believe someone is likely to succeed.  

I hope Peterman has a chance to redeem himself.  Tough to change your rep after a 5-int game and get fans/teammates to believe.   I will say that he was doing a very nice job when he started the Indy snow game.  Those were some rough conditions and he made some decent throws and a beautiful back shoulder TD pass.  Too bad he got injured, I think he would've led us to the win that day.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:18 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Why do people believe in Peterman? It’s an honest question? He was historically bad and was a 5th round pick for a reason. People hated Fitz, Orton, and Tyrod who were all decent and swear by Peterman. It is so strange. We are the only fan base in the world that prefers scrubs to decent. That is unique to Bills fans. 

A couple of things,  First, nobody getting to the pros is a "scrub". There are wildly divergent levels of ability, but all have something that got them there. Second, watching someone under center who could read a defense, go through his progressions and throw a WR open has become a novelty. Third, seeing a QB willing to actually throw the ball was like a breath of fresh air. After the clown show of the past three years at QB I'll take any of the three QBs we have right now. All we know for sure is there will be an uptick in QB play from here on out. Allen is the odds on favorite, long term, but for this year Nate has as good a chance as anyone. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan60 said:

A couple of things,  First, nobody getting to the pros is a "scrub". There are wildly divergent levels of ability, but all have something that got them there. Second, watching someone under center who could read a defense, go through his progressions and throw a WR open has become a novelty. Third, seeing a QB willing to actually throw the ball was like a breath of fresh air. After the clown show of the past three years at QB I'll take any of the three QBs we have right now. All we know for sure is there will be an uptick in QB play from here on out. Allen is the odds on favorite, long term, but for this year Nate has as good a chance as anyone. 

5 picks in a half wasn’t “a breath of fresh air to me.” I like when my team wins. The “clown show” of the last 3 years won more games than they lost and broke the playoff drought. There were a lot of times over the last 17 years that were more miserable to me than the recent times. Again though, I’m not concerned with “going through progressions” if it results in completing the pass to the defensive back. Moral victories aren’t important to me; winning is all that I care about. To each his own I guess...

Do we just overhype every qb we draft?  I actually feel bad for NP.  He should have never started last year.  He’s a lot closer to be out of the league than starting.  Love it if he surprised but this was hardly a special talent.  And his best trait was he was the most “nfl ready” and we saw how that went.  He is at his ceiling already.

47 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

5 picks in a half wasn’t “a breath of fresh air to me.” I like when my team wins. The “clown show” of the last 3 years won more games than they lost and broke the playoff drought. There were a lot of times over the last 17 years that were more miserable to me than the recent times. Again though, I’m not concerned with “going through progressions” if it results in completing the pass to the defensive back. Moral victories aren’t important to me; winning is all that I care about. To each his own I guess...

Whatever your views are on Peterman they are your views. Where I strenuously disagree with you and others is that it is unfair to define a rookie by one disastrous experience. Whenever there is a mention of Peterman there is a reflexive response by many about that Charger game. That's history. In my mind the fifth round pick is at best a backup. If that's the case then that doesn't disqualify him from having a useful role in the league. 

I believe that Peterman is going to earn a roster spot this year. Many if not a majority of people believe otherwise. The overwhelming consensus is that Allen is going to be our franchise qb, and there is a good probability that it will start sometime this season. But that doesn't mean that there aren't important roles for the backup/s. Let's see how this plays out. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Whatever your views are on Peterman they are your views. Where I strenuously disagree with you and others is that it is unfair to define a rookie by one disastrous experience. Whenever there is a mention of Peterman there is a reflexive response by many about that Charger game. That's history. In my mind the fifth round pick is at best a backup. If that's the case then that doesn't disqualify him from having a useful role in the league. 

I believe that Peterman is going to earn a roster spot this year. Many if not a majority of people believe otherwise. The overwhelming consensus is that Allen is going to be our franchise qb, and there is a good probability that it will start sometime this season. But that doesn't mean that there aren't important roles for the backup/s. Let's see how this plays out. 

I 100% agree with you on this John FWIW. The only part where we differ some is that if he is 3rd at opening day he isn’t worth the roster spot to me. Stick him on the PS. If he gets picked up to an active roster so be it.  He can still be a backup in this league and have a role. He isn’t the answer at QB though. I hope that Allen is.