Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Once a player is in the NFL I couldn't care less when they were drafted. And it is very possible Allen has a meltdown game if we start him too early. He threw 5 interceptions against Nebraska in 2016. He suffers from some of the same panicky problems that led to Peterman's meltdown game. So it's fair to wonder how many horrible games will you let him have before giving up on him?

Do you think that the Bills should have given Nic Harris as many chances to succeed as Aaron Maybin? The answer is of course not. The 1st round pick is always going to be given WAY more rope than your 2nd 5th round pick.

The Saints cut Garrett Grayson a year after making him a 3rd round pick. The Jets are clinging to Sackenberg even though they won’t even dress him. If a guy can’t play he can’t play.

It’s much easier to cut a 5th rounder than it is a 1st. No one called Nic Harris a “bust.” You can’t have 190 guys picked before you and be a “bust.” You have to have expectations to be a “bust.” Peterman isn’t a bust. He’s just bad at football. If Allen fails he’s a bust. There is a giant, giant difference in the expectations.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Nathan Peterman will win the starting QB position barring injury. He'll be much improved from last season.

Excited about Josh Allen as the starting QB, but Peterman is the guy people aren't talking about right now who will have everyone talking by the end of training camp.

He's worked on his mechanics, is said to have added velocity to his throws, has a lot to prove and is no stranger to struggling early in his career and picking himself up.

A little talked about fact concerning Peterman is that he's right up there with Allen as Bills QB's who've scored high on the Wonderlic test for those who equate the test to mental sharpness.

I still hold to the belief that Peterman was at the very least a third round prospect in his draft class.

Peterman will be the guy.

So this is how I have it panning out... 

1. Peterman

2. McCarron

3. Allen

With Allen at three for his protection as he starts out his young career.

Hey if Peterman wins the job that would be great for the Bills. McC will be easy trade bait next season after sitting on the bench all this season for us then opposed to McC starting and Peterman doing nothing on the bench all season so teams have no clue if Peterman is worth trading for if the Bills were to keep McC over Peterman as a backup for 2019. I wish the kid luck he has a huge hill to climb and if he ends up the starter this season it will make it that much easier to trade McC next season and Peterman moved to backup for Allen in 2019.

16 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Nathan Peterman will win the starting QB position barring injury. He'll be much improved from last season.

Excited about Josh Allen as the starting QB, but Peterman is the guy people aren't talking about right now who will have everyone talking by the end of training camp.

He's worked on his mechanics, is said to have added velocity to his throws, has a lot to prove and is no stranger to struggling early in his career and picking himself up.

A little talked about fact concerning Peterman is that he's right up there with Allen as Bills QB's who've scored high on the Wonderlic test for those who equate the test to mental sharpness.

I still hold to the belief that Peterman was at the very least a third round prospect in his draft class.

1. Peterman

2. McCarron

3. Allen

I don't think so.   

Since the Bills will be implementing a new offensive scheme, Peterman just isn't that far ahead of Allen in terms of his development.    He has a bit of an edge, but not much.  Allen's superior physical skills will pretty quickly put him ahead of Peterman.

I think it's a two-man competition.   McCarron's experience and demonstrated ability to win at any level against Allen's physical ability.   

I think Allen takes the starting job from McCarron later in 2018 or training camp 2019.  

I don't thik Peterman makes the roster out of preseason

I think a UDFA with a potential higher ceiling has a better chance over Peterman.

Maybe hte bills keep him aorund 1 more year but there is no chance that Peterman is a sleeper or a guy who wil go onto to be a starter in this league IMO

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

1. Peterman

2. McCarron

3. Allen

My first thought if this happens, we're screwed. A few seconds later, I think "hey, if he wins the job, we are stronger at QB than we thought".  Now I'm back to the original thought.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Was Josh Allen the 191st player selected?

Flawed logic. Sure, you should give the top player in a draft class a longer look but you certainly don't cut bait with someone with potential over a couple of bad games in their rookie season. Not at QB. 

23 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

Flawed logic. Sure, you should give the top player in a draft class a longer look but you certainly don't cut bait with someone with potential over a couple of bad games in their rookie season. Not at QB. 

It depends on how you define potential. I saw a guy completely overwhemed that didn’t look like he belonged. I’m looking at a guy that is a clear number 3 option that will never be more than a number 2 option here. How hard is he to replace? I’d be surprised if he didn’t make it through to the PS.

The Jets have held Hackenberg because he was a 2nd round pick. They won’t even dress him. At what point to you say, “the guy isn’t good?” Did the Bills give up on Levi Brown too soon? He was a similar prospect to NP.

People have this fear that if they release Peterman he will go somewhere and become a good starter and they’ll regret it. That’s a terrible way to operate. If the guy stinks, he stinks. You don’t need to operate out of fear. If he is better than McCarron (which I highly doubt) then cut McCarron. If McCarron is better, cut Peterman. I don’t see any reason to carry a 3rd QB that will never be more than a backup. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Frankly, I believe that having a three-way competition at QB is a mistake. We've been down that road recently (remember EJ/Cassel/Tyrod?), and what we end up with by the end of TC is a starter that hasn't had enough reps with the first team to develop a decent chemistry. At this point, Peterman should be a camp arm, and not much more. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It depends on how you define potential. I saw a guy completely overwhemed that didn’t look like he belonged. I’m looking at a guy that is a clear number 3 option that will never be more than a number 2 option here. How hard is he to replace? I’d be surprised if he didn’t make it through to the PS.

The Jets have held Hackenberg because he was a 2nd round pick. They won’t even dress him. At what point to you say, “the guy isn’t good?” Did the Bills give up on Levi Brown too soon? He was a similar prospect to NP. People have this fear that if they release Peterman he will go somewhere and become a good starter and they’ll regret it. That’s a terrible way to operate. If the guy stinks, he stinks. You don’t need to operate out of fear. If he is better than McCarron (which I highly doubt) than cut McCarron. If McCarron is better, cut Peterman. I don’t see any reason to carry a 3rd QB that will never be more than a backup. 

+1

The guy had enough "potential" to be drafted in the 5th round, which some still thought was too early.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that the point that I was making was sooner than I thought. It just seems like the Bills want him out there now. Cleveland this year, and KC last year were pretty forthcoming about their plans to give the QB time. The Bills have elected a different route. Either of them can work but it’s different than what I anticipated with Allen. 

Year two would be a welcome surprise.      My suggestion. Just don't follow KC and throw the baby out with the bath water.    Meaning keep a good backup on the roster in Josh Allen's debut season.  

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It depends on how you define potential. I saw a guy completely overwhemed that didn’t look like he belonged. 

This is, unfortunately, where I am with Peterman.

I don't hold him responsible - at all - for the SD debacle.  But every time he's taken the field, he has looked - as you put it - overwhelmed.

I wanted this guy to be successful more than anyone.  I just don't see it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Year two would be a welcome surprise.      My suggestion. Just don't follow KC and throw the baby out with the bath water.    Meaning keep a good backup on the roster in Josh Allen's debut season.  

Agree with this, McCarron seems to be a good addition. He’s a smart guy and a capable backup. He has a chance to be the long-term number 2 here. 

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

+1

The guy had enough "potential" to be drafted in the 5th round, which some still thought was too early.

Can I say +2?

And yes..... the 5th round was too early.  Peterman has to crush it in OTAs to even get a shot at being considered "in the competition" in camp.  And I mean look like freaking Aaron Rodgers in shorts.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is, unfortunately, where I am with Peterman.

I don't hold him responsible - at all - for the SD debacle.  But every time he's taken the field, he has looked - as you put it - overwhelmed.

I wanted this guy to be successful more than anyone.  I just don't see it.

I didn't expect him to look quite as bad as he did in LA - that was a particularly spectacular disaster movie.  But having watched some of his college tape last draft season and then watched his 50% passer pre-season him looking overwhelmed was pretty much what I expected. He just isn't an NFL talent for my money. I'm sure he is a nice guy and I'm sure sometimes you can look at him when he has the red jersey on in practice and say "hey this guy is physically limited but he gets the ball out quick maybe he can effectively operate a short passing offense" but the truth is that when the bullets are flying he isn't accurate enough, doesn't see the field well enough, and doesn't make good enough decisions under pressure.... and obviously he doesn't have the physical tools to overcome all of that.  

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do you think that the Bills should have given Nic Harris as many chances to succeed as Aaron Maybin? The answer is of course not. The 1st round pick is always going to be given WAY more rope than your 2nd 5th round pick.

The Saints cut Garrett Grayson a year after making him a 3rd round pick. The Jets are clinging to Sackenberg even though they won’t even dress him. If a guy can’t play he can’t play.

It’s much easier to cut a 5th rounder than it is a 1st. No one called Nic Harris a “bust.” You can’t have 190 guys picked before you and be a “bust.” You have to have expectations to be a “bust.” Peterman isn’t a bust. He’s just bad at football. If Allen fails he’s a bust. There is a giant, giant difference in the expectations.

Yes that's how the NFL does it now, and they shouldn't. I literally don't care about expectations. Right now I'd give Zay Jones a shorter leash than I'd give Matt Milano. Do you disagree with that? With a new QB I'll always keep the leash long. Plenty of QBs have shown improvement after year one, and again after year 2. Some people on this board have already written Peterman off. I happen to think his particular flaws - arm strength and panicking under pressure - are correctable with experience. We have the most uncertain QB situation in the NFL so I would absolutely keep 3 QBs until one of them has proven themselves.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We have the most uncertain QB situation in the NFL so I would absolutely keep 3 QBs until one of them has proven themselves.

I do see the argument for that Happy Days. I am more on the Kirby side of the argument that keeping 3 because you don't have a proven good one serves little purpose unless you think all 3 have a chance to turn into something great, but I do see the other side of that - especially when the Bills are hardly overflowing with quality players at other positions demanding roster spots.  

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I put very little weight on the Chargers game. That was about the worst possible situation for a rookie QB to come into. He got less than a week of practice with the starters. It was a road game on the west coast facing a really good pass defense. Our pass protection was non-existent. The receivers sucked like they did all year. The game plan was terrible. We couldn't get a run game going. He had a good drive going before Dimarco flubbed a pass and turned it into a crushing interception. I mean literally every possible bad thing that could have happened, happened.

The only other games he got substantial playing time were the Saints and Colts and I thought he looked decent in those games, granted they both came in weird circumstances. Taken all together Peterman's rookie year wasn't nearly as disastrous as the stats make it look. He's still a long shot to be an NFL QB but I'll support him this year and I hope the Bill's hang onto him.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yes that's how the NFL does it now, and they shouldn't. I literally don't care about expectations. Right now I'd give Zay Jones a shorter leash than I'd give Matt Milano. Do you disagree with that? With a new QB I'll always keep the leash long. Plenty of QBs have shown improvement after year one, and again after year 2. Some people on this board have already written Peterman off. I happen to think his particular flaws - arm strength and panicking under pressure - are correctable with experience. We have the most uncertain QB situation in the NFL so I would absolutely keep 3 QBs until one of them has proven themselves.

You think arm strength is correctable?

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do see the argument for that Happy Days. I am more on the Kirby side of the argument that keeping 3 because you don't have a proven good one serves little purpose unless you think all 3 have a chance to turn into something great, but I do see the other side of that - especially when the Bills are hardly overflowing with quality players at other positions demanding roster spots.  

The one thing the Bills need to figure out this year is the QB. Everything else is secondary to that. So for me there's no contest between a depth special teamer and a 3rd QB with potential. Anything that increases our odds of solving the QB position should take precedent, no matter how small. Especially since we drafted a project QB in Allen I'd like us to hedge our bets.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

You think arm strength is correctable?

Come on man, we play in the same division as Tom Brady. Of course it is correctable. It's not a foregone conclusion but it can be done. It's more about lower body mechanics than people realize. Brady worked tirelessly to improve his velocity once he hit the NFL.