Antonio Brown almost drafted by the Bills

3 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I wonder if Nix passed on Russell Wilson for the same reason. Still can’t billieve we traded up for a WR that was suppose to go undrafted.

That was hilarious.

Myself and everyone I was with at the time thought for sure the Bills were drafting Wilson when news broke that we traded up.

The TV flashes THE BUFFALO BILLS SELECT...TJ GRAHAM, WR, NC STATE and I immediately break my television.

30 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Tough to say. If Deonte didn’t happen upon the Bills and have those ridiculous games does he sign with the Cowboys? 

If he shows up on a team that has enough wrs ahead of him he may never make the field and show what he could do. 

Two part question... 

1. How many teams give their undrafted free agents a chance to start? 

2. Of those teams how many have a qb that passes to them? 

The best player in the league doesn’t fall out of the league. He may have just been a good receiver but there’s ZERO chance that talent failed. The cream rises....

1. Guys that play well

2. QBs pass to the best receivers on every single team.

40 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The best player in the league doesn’t fall out of the league. He may have just been a good receiver but there’s ZERO chance that talent failed. The cream rises....

1. Guys that play well

2. QBs pass to the best receivers on every single team.

Cream doesn’t always rise, not even close. Most teams in this league don’t do player for player trades. Some never will. 

We traded a struggling Kelvin Sheppard for an extremely disappointing Jerry Hughes. Think about how many players never got dealt to a suitable system, how many guys that could of blew it up never getting their shot. 

Happens way more than you think, whether it be system, compatible players, inept management. 

As much as skill matters luck plays as big if not bigger a part. 

Time and place means everything. Especially in a team game like football. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Cream doesn’t always rise, not even close. Most teams in this league don’t do player for player trades. Some never will. 

We traded a struggling Kelvin Sheppard for an extremely disappointing Jerry Hughes. Think about how many players never got dealt to a suitable system, how many guys that could of blew it up never getting their shot. 

Happens way more than you think, whether it be system, compatible players, inept management. 

Let me ask it a different way. Do you honestly believe that Antonio Brown would have been out of the league if the Bills drafted him? If you really believe that I believe that you are delusional. 

Again, I’m not saying that he would have become the best player in the league. He may have been merely a “good receiver.” He might have had Emmanuel Sanders’ career. There is no chance that a guy with that ability was going to fail. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Jerry Hughes did not blow up like AB did either.

I think Kirby's point is HoF potential guys might have just been good players if they were stuck in bad situations.  Just like good player potential guys might have been busts if they were stuck in bad situations.  

AB on a bad team might have just carved out a solid career.  Randy Moss on a bad team might have been a good WR.  But they would never be nobodies.  Jerry Hughes on a bad team would be a nobody.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

I think Kirby's point is HoF potential guys might have just been good players if they were stuck in bad situations.  Just like good player potential guys might have been busts if they were stuck in bad situations.  

AB on a bad team might have just carved out a solid career.  Randy Moss on a bad team might have been a good WR.  But they would never be nobodies.  Jerry Hughes on a bad team would be a nobody.

Exactly

17 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

He kind of proved that point with the Oakland Raiders.  Wes Welker would be another example where he was a solid player for Miami, but exploded when he went to New England with five 1,000 plus yard seasons in six years.

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Didn’t see this posted anywhere: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/05/antonio_brown_revisits_taking_draft_day_call_from_steelers_instead_of_buffalo_bi.html

FWIW, I think that he’s the best player in football. He’s better than Danny Batten.

who knew,  but that was a horrible draft by NixPixSix

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Exactly

Hughes is a bad example because he was playing behind two borderline hall of famers in Freeney and Mathis.  Both of those guys were the primary DE starters in the three years Hughes played in Indy.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Hughes is a bad example because he was playing behind two borderline hall of famers in Freeney and Mathis. 

Maybe so but I think that the point is that he was a “good” player in a bad situation. Those guys can fall through the cracks. 1st ballot HOFers are still “good” players at least in a bad situation.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe so but I think that the point is that he was a “good” player in a bad situation. Those guys can fall through the cracks. 1st ballot HOFers are still “good” players at least in a bad situation.

I realize that he was good. But he was playing behind players who finished 17th all time in sacks (Freeney) and 19th all time (Mathis).  His problem was playing time, not productivity. He had six starts in 2012 (his final season) because Freeney missed two starts and Mathis missed four. That's the only reason he ever got starts. Antonio Brown would have faced no such situation in Buffalo, which I think was part of your point!

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Didn’t see this posted anywhere: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/05/antonio_brown_revisits_taking_draft_day_call_from_steelers_instead_of_buffalo_bi.html

FWIW, I think that he’s the best player in football. He’s better than Danny Batten.

I'll concede on Batten but I stand by the Moats pick.