A thought experiment

51 minutes ago, GG said:

Then you have to clarify your premise, because the hypothetical scenario you described absolutely needs FBI to commence an investigation.  

If you're trying to build a strawman to tie it to the ongoing screw up, then don't waste my time.  

Dial it back by a factor of maybe 10?

I pose the questions because this is how it's going to be spun, which is why it's important to discuss.

Now, do you want to continue to participate in good faith, or am I "wasting your time"?

2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I offer this thread, as it's sure to come up:

What is the proper role of the FBI, if it encounters actual solid intelligence of a foreign entity infiltrating a Presidential campaign?

Bear in mind that this isn't what happened here.  In our case the FBI conspired with other intelligence agencies and various parties in order to create false and sensationalized "intelligence" in order to rig a federal election and cover up their own bad behavior and that of their superiors at the head of government.

I'm speaking about a fictional accounting of a situation in which the FBI acquires real, verifiable intel.

I look forward to your thoughts and legal opinions, amateur or otherwise.

Glad you asked...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I realize that this probably isn't the best way, but if we are talking about "proof" that a presidential campaign had been affected, rather than try and investigate and build a case against the the foreign agents, I would just release all the information immediately.

Give the American voters the facts and let it play out from there................No prosecution probably, but at least the campaign may be  made honest.

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Dial it back by a factor of maybe 10?

I pose the questions because this is how it's going to be spun, which is why it's important to discuss.

Now, do you want to continue to participate in good faith, or am I "wasting your time"?

Then in that case my original response stands.  FBI should investigate credible allegations.  The allegations you described fall within FBI purview. 

5 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Is it legitimate for NCIS to investigate untaxed cigarette sales on an Indian Reservation?

I believe they're saving that story arc for season 23.

6 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

What is the proper role of the FBI, if it encounters actual solid intelligence of a foreign entity infiltrating a Presidential campaign?

Bear in mind that this isn't what happened here.  In our case the FBI conspired with other intelligence agencies and various parties in order to create false and sensationalized "intelligence" in order to rig a federal election and cover up their own bad behavior and that of their superiors at the head of government.

I'm speaking about a fictional accounting of a situation in which the FBI acquires real, verifiable intel.

I think it depends on how involved the infiltration is. I would hope they first go directly to the candidate for cooperation. If it needs to be made public, they should be as transparent as possible after ferreting out the infiltration, to try to ensure that the revelations impact that campaign as little as possible.

Of course, if made public before the election, the other candidate is going to harp on how their inept opponent allowed foreign spies into their inner circle, and thus cannot be trusted to be president and blahblahblah.

On 5/21/2018 at 2:47 PM, TakeYouToTasker said:

I suppose it would depend on how the intelligence was acquired, since the FBI's scope is supposed to be limited to within the US. Assuming that it was solid intel I would imagine that acquiring evidence of a foreign entity's involvement would necessitate involvement by the CIA as well. I think we're all learning a valuable lesson with everything that's coming out with regard to the supposed Russian collusion in 45's campaign, and how instead it's been people in our own government working to undermine both a presidential campaign and the subsequent administration.

One thing in particular that I've learned is that despite my long standing belief that there are always a few bad apples in every barrel, the apparent amount of corruption within both the FBI and the IC at large shows that I have been very naive. The phrase "drain the swamp" sounds a hell of a lot less like a cheesy slogan than it did a couple years ago.

Edited by Azalin