Music City Travesty

Looking Back  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Who is mainly to blame for the loss?

2. 2. Who should have started at QB?

3. 3. Looking at the last play objectively, the correct call would have been

• A Touchdown.
    • Forward Lateral. Dead Ball. Bills should have won.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was a karma loss.  If the Bills made the decision to bench Flutie for that scrub RJ, it would dominate sports talk.  Such an idiotic move.  RJ sucked in that game like he sucked for most of his career.  We deserved that loss.  

Also, because I did in college, the loss is on the guy on kick coverage who’s job was to stay outside the hashmarks in case of a throwback or reverse.  It’s super boring most of the time but that’s why you have to respect your job all the time and not chase the ball.

Ironically RJ did his best Flutie game/manager impression in the win against the Titans aka he did just enough to put us ahead going into the last kick, had we tackled Dyson than people wouldn't be crying over the loss but celebrating RJ's heroics of leading us back especially without his shoe etc. Yet I get it, nothing I can change your mind but all I know is nothing will change my mind that Flutie was downright horrible in 1999 and should have been sooner than the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Ironically RJ did his best Flutie game/manager impression in the win against the Titans aka he did just enough to put us ahead going into the last kick, had we tackled Dyson than people wouldn't be crying over the loss but celebrating RJ's heroics of leading us back especially without his shoe etc. Yet I get it, nothing I can change your mind but all I know is nothing will change my mind that Flutie was downright horrible in 1999 and should have been sooner than the playoffs. 

RJ - 10/22, 131 yards, 6 sacks.

Flutie’s only Bills playoff start, he threw for a club record 360 yards.  

Flutie wasnt a great qb but he was miles better than RJ.  It’s amazing that people can’t just admit it.  It’s also amazing that I still care about it too haha.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, eball said:

It's amazing to me how easily some are baited into this conversation.  Moths to a flame.

It amazes me how redundant posts like this have become opposed to just not responding. Moths to a flame. 

15 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Johnson played a good game, the blame falls squarely on the special team players who didn't cover the play.

Not really. He was 10-22 for 131 yards, giving up the usual 6 sacks. But the Titans defense was pretty good so there’s no guarantee Flutie would have been better.

The biggest travesty was that the guy that lead the team through out the yr wasn't playing & that one falls on Ralph we knew him to meddle with team decisions but that was even worse than something Jerry Jones would have done pretty stupid !! 

But now its water under the bridge so there's no sense in crying over it any more !! 

7 hours ago, vincec said:

Not really. He was 10-22 for 131 yards, giving up the usual 6 sacks. But the Titans defense was pretty good so there’s no guarantee Flutie would have been better.

I thought he looked sharp against that defense and did enough to win the game . We should've went to the Super Bowl that year but I don't know if we would have been able to slow the Rams down.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

So here's my question.  

If a team is down 4-5 points and running down the sideline in a similar fashion, but someone comes off the sideline and tackles him, what happens?  An automatic touchdown? A 15 yard penalty from the spot and an un-timed down?

9 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

So here's my question.  

If a team is down 4-5 points and running down the sideline in a similar fashion, but someone comes off the sideline and tackles him, what happens?  An automatic touchdown? A 15 yard penalty from the spot and an un-timed down?

Ask Tommy Lewis.

Nobody outside of Buffalo EVER would be dumb enough to seriously think starting Rob Johnson was a good move. 

The fact 46 people said Rob Johnson just shows how much denial still exists in this fandom.

When your starting QB leads you to a 10-5 season and clinched  a playoff birth before week 17, you do NOT pull a switcheroo and throw in an unproven guy to start your playoff game!

In what f'n world does any non biased person think that makes sense? NOBODY outside of random deluded Bills fans would be capable of the mental gymnastics required to make that leap. Besides the obvious skill/talent disparity, you instantly cause turmoil in the locker room and lose your credibility as a leader. You have one guy that your team went into battle with game after game, respected, followed and played for, suddenly get yanked and replaced with a guy who had done nothing but lose games & get hurt, and hadn't earned anyone's respect.

Oh, and you really think a week or two of 1st team reps is good enough for the players to get a sense of all the ins and outs of that QB's play style? Is their timing going to be anywhere close to as refined and ingrained as the guy they went through OTA's, minicamp, practice and 15 games with? And the fact that they knew the starting QB did nothing wrong to validate losing his spot on the fly makes it even worse!

You have people on these boards that couldn't even grasp the logic behind starting Peterman in the San Diego game, when Tyrod had actually been playing like garbage, wasn't half as successful as Flutie, and it was a REGULAR SEASON GAME against a team that had a losing record! Yet somehow pulling your starter who didn't s*** the bed several straight games, had already clinched a playoff birth (and lead you to one prior), and doing so in a PLAYOFF GAME makes sense? The stupidity of those people is baffling.

It doesn't even matter if the Music City Miracle happened or not, or if the Bills had won the game! It was still so asinine that it's a point of what not to do to this day! How many coaches have you seen pull a turd move like this since then (or even before)? NONE. You know why? Because it doesn't make sense on any rational level. If you would seriously make that move (and apparently 46 of you would), your opinions on football are irrelevant.

/rant

Edited by BigDingus

On 5/22/2018 at 1:06 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Johnson played a good game, the blame falls squarely on the special team players who didn't cover the play.

A good game? Wtf are you talking about?! You must LOVE Tyrod then, as he puts Johnson to shame.

Rob Johnson - 10 of 22 passing (45% comp.) for 131 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's, 6 sacks & 3 fumbles, with a 64.8 passer rating. 

DAMN! Killer game he had! 

Yup, he did everything he could to win that game! -_-

How many coaches have you ever seen bench the QB that lead them to a 10-5 record, a clinched playoff spot in week 16, had already lead them to the playoffs the year before, and replaced them with an unproven guy who was hadn't won jack, was always injured, and had averaged 122 yards a game up until that point in his career? ZERO.

In 6 games the year before (1998), Johnson was sacked 29 friggin times! In Flutie's 10 games that year, he was sacked 12 times.........Johnson was bad from start to finish, Flutie actually did something. But yeah, try & justify the ridiculousness that was that decision. Johnson the injury-plagued statue was never the "good" option for that game, even if our team did everything it could to win.

23 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I thought he looked sharp against that defense and did enough to win the game . We should've went to the Super Bowl that year but I don't know if we would have been able to slow the Rams down.

You also wanted to trade Mario Williams for John Skelton.