Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

This is an example of where not having an established, winning program comes back to bite us in multiple ways.  

WRT Ritchie, I don't see it ending well for him - I feel like we'll be watching a "30 for 30" in five or ten years profiling the Martin incident and the wrecked lives of Martin, Ritchie and possibly Pouncey in their post-NFL careers - just a bad combination of teammates, wrong place, wrong time, a bunch of unstable maniacs.

There may be a lot more to this story than we'll ever know, but I think it's reasonably safe to say the Bills weren't super high on bringing the aging vet back, what with asking him to take a pay cut on a one-year deal.  Yes, they could have cut him outright, but they may have gotten backlash for a "retaliatory" firing on the heels of the racial slur rumors in the playoff game.  Even though nothing was proven we know that issue couldn't have sat well with McD.  By "lowballing" him on the contract they figured they'd keep some stability on the line but if he got out of hand they could cut him.  Ritchie, being a pretty smart guy, also likely figured this out -- hence the odd "I'm retiring" behavior followed by his recent request to un-retire.  If everything was hunky-dory between Ritchie and the Bills why isn't he still a Bill?

I liked Ritchie while he was here and hope he is sound mentally.  I do think the Bills may be breathing a sigh of relief that he is no longer on the roster.  I know many fans (and media) believe the Bills' OL will be terrible, in part because Ritchie is gone, but I'll play the "wait and see" game with the players Beane and McD have brought in.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

There may be a lot more to this story than we'll ever know, but I think it's reasonably safe to say the Bills weren't super high on bringing the aging vet back, what with asking him to take a pay cut on a one-year deal.  Yes, they could have cut him outright, but they may have gotten backlash for a "retaliatory" firing on the heels of the racial slur rumors in the playoff game.  Even though nothing was proven we know that issue couldn't have sat well with McD.  By "lowballing" him on the contract they figured they'd keep some stability on the line but if he got out of hand they could cut him.  Ritchie, being a pretty smart guy, also likely figured this out -- hence the odd "I'm retiring" behavior followed by his recent request to un-retire.  If everything was hunky-dory between Ritchie and the Bills why isn't he still a Bill?

I liked Ritchie while he was here and hope he is sound mentally.  I do think the Bills may be breathing a sigh of relief that he is no longer on the roster.  I know many fans (and media) believe the Bills' OL will be terrible, in part because Ritchie is gone, but I'll play the "wait and see" game with the players Beane and McD have brought in.

I thought Incognito did an admirable job whilst in Buffalo.  Kept his nose clean, for the most part, and I think the O line did a decent job protecting the QB who holds the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL.

But he's going to be 35-years-old by the time this season starts.  Incognito being a great OL at 35 is about as likely as a QB being great in his early 40s.  It's a business and it was time for the Bills to get younger.  And I think his "retirement," is addition by subtraction for the Bills.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

This sucks, they shouldn't have low balled Ritchie. He was playing at a pro bowl level and they want him to take a pay cut?! I don't blame him for retiring, hope he goes to the super bowl winner.

Nobody forced him to take a pay cut.

6 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

Who's the cat that walks about when there's danger all about?

He's a complicated man, but no one understands him but his woman..................

He's a bad Mother...................

Watch your mouth...

6 hours ago, Logic said:

That depends. In your hypothetical, Is Jerry Hughes 34 years old with a history of mental instability and recent displays of erratic behavior that threaten to bring unneeded drama to a developing locker room? 

And did I miss where Incognito signed with the Patriots? 

So you’re cool with it at what age cutoff? 

And whats the mechanism for blocking the pats signing? Do we make them pinky swear prior to release?

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

This sucks, they shouldn't have low balled Ritchie. He was playing at a pro bowl level and they want him to take a pay cut?! I don't blame him for retiring, hope he goes to the super bowl winner.

I hope we win the super bowl. But my loyalty tends to be towards the team ... not so much the meatheads of the league. 

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't know if the story you are alluding to about his call to the owner/s is true. Whether he plays again or retires I hope that he can have a stable and happy life. He's had a history of volatility and erratic behavior. It seemed that while with Buffalo his behavior was much more serene than from his past.  

Regardless what he decides to do I just wish everything works out well for him from a life standpoint. He's the type of person where the demons within him can overcome the angels that also reside within him. I wish him the best. 

They didn't need him this year but that doesn't take away his HOF caliber career he has had with them

Come on.  Zero chance of getting into HOF.  If he would retire right now, they would move seamlessly right along as though he was never there with some backup dude.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

October.

I think before that. 

He lost his QB who he really liked. And now his “partner in crime” who he said he would pay for him to come back released. 

I think he has his agent request a trade way before season starts 

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Sure, because someone is going to offer him a contract

Agreed. I suspect for less than we offered. Which will Be frustrating for everybody 

but thats the risk when you pick up a guy like this. Odds were it was going to end ugly but if you can get A few good years for cheap...

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Sure, because someone is going to offer him a contract

I thought your post implied perhaps he was going to take more time away from football first.

What about all the kidney and liver shutting down/failing stuff he said in interviews and tweets? 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/10/bills-richie-incognito-announces-retirement-twitter

Was that all a smokescreen or is he going to have to face extra scrutiny in a pre-signing physical?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought your post implied perhaps he was going to take more time away from football first.

What about all the kidney and liver shutting down/failing stuff he said in interviews and tweets? 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/10/bills-richie-incognito-announces-retirement-twitter

Was that all a smokescreen or is he going to have to face extra scrutiny in a pre-signing physical?

It seems it was a guy that was throwing a tantrum more than anything, no? 

Even in the moment it appeared that way 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It seems it was a guy that was throwing a tantrum more than anything, no? 

Even in the moment it appeared that way 

That's an interesting question.

I looked back at 'Cog's twitter, and he never tweeted that.

He retweeted something Vic Carruci tweeted after interviewing him.

So to me, it was different than the rest of the twit-fest he pulled back in April.

If it was a tantrum, he sucked a respected journalist into it, then SI picked it up

I would certainly think that any team offering Incognito a contract would want to be thoroughly reassured on those points.

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So what happens when Jerry Hughes decides he doesn’t want to play for the Bills anymore. He wants to play for the Pats. He throws a fit and retires. They just let him do it?

I highly doubt that Jerry Hughes is going to throw a tantrum with the terms of his current contract as they currently are. A much more real situation with him however, is likely to occur next year, if he doesn't have a really good 2018 season. His dead cap hit next year will only be $2,900,000. At this point the onus is clearly on him to produce big if he expects to keep his job in 2019. He has a cap hit for 2019 of $10,400,000. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

So when does McCoy request a trade

I hardly think that McCoy will do this based on his contract situation with the Bills either (see my comment re: Jerry Hughes - Their contract situations are pretty similar actually. Both need to have really good 2018 seasons or they will not be here in 2019)

Edited by DefenseWins

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on.  Zero chance of getting into HOF.  If he would retire right now, they would move seamlessly right along as though he was never there with some backup dude.

Jason Peters is near the end of his career and without question the Eagles are prepared for his nonparticipation. That's what well run organizations do.

I disagree with you that Peters has no chance of getting into the HOF. Will he? I can't say  for sure but what I can so for sure is that he will be seriously considered. You may not be aware of it but he has had a long and distinguished career with the SB Champs and has over an extended period of time been a perennial all-pro.