Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

I don’t like this idea at this time. I have it on good authority that there is zero chance he comes back to play for Bills. We hold his rights. He made his mistakes. We shouldn’t reward him. If anything tell him if he wants to unretire negotiate with another team and then we trade him to them, even if it’s a 7th rounder. 

• Like (+1) 6

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep.  Marv Levy had it right, if a coach says he's going to retire in a year or two years, he's already retired, he just doesn't know it yet.

I think the same thing is true for players.

Sometimes it is a bargaining chip or a way to make changes a player has been trying to push on team.

I think Incognito was unhappy about hearing regarding cut at the same time he heard news from doctor.  This snapped him back to some of his old personality.    The smart thing to do when he was told Bills wanted to cut salary was to say  "no" and retire after being cut.  I would have thought after the retirement foobar early in year he would have learned.

• Like (+1) 1

I hate this.

You don't give in to these types of shenanigans.

Now they set the precedent that you can just get out if you think you should get paid more. He just signed the contract and has yet to even have a practice or game since.

Thwy should yave forced him to be retured or show up to camp. Then if he mans up and shows, you work with him to get him what he wants if possible provided he can act like an adult. Kind of rediculous that it sounds like parenting advice, but that's where we are. It's not about richie, it's about future contracts. So much for accountability.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don’t like this idea at this time. I have it on good authority that there is zero chance he comes back to play for Bills. We hold his rights. He made his mistakes. We shouldn’t reward him. If anything tell him if he wants to unretire negotiate with another team and then we trade him to them, even if it’s a 7th rounder. 

Agreed. I don't get why we just cut him loose? Are there cap ramifications?

3 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He won't get more money, but teams will contact him.

Just now, thurst44 said:

Looks like it does. Sportrac now only lists him as a little more than a 1.1m dead cap hit and it was much more than that last time I checked (i wanna say roughly 5m after restructuring?)

The 1.15 million (old signing bonus) has been his dead money since he retired.  If I remember right their was a question about the 1 million guaranteed from

his restructure and whether he had a right to the 1 million.  This "cut" by the Bill's may have been an agreement between the 2 parties.

Ritchie doesn't go after the 1 million in turn the Bill's release him.

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah, I don't see how releasing him helps the Bills in any way. It can only hurt them if he decides to shore up the line of an AFC East team or someone they play this season.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

The 1.15 million (old signing bonus) has been his dead money since he retired.  If I remember right their was a question about the 1 million guaranteed from

his restructure and whether he had a right to the 1 million.  This "cut" by the Bill's may have been an agreement between the 2 parties.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he was still being listed with a cap hit until today (along with the dead money). In any case, if Sportrac is right, it looks as if they will have a little over 13m in cap space when they sign Allen and Phillips, but not sure if that's more than it was before the release.

1 minute ago, MDH said:

Yeah, I don't see how releasing him helps the Bills in any way. It can only hurt them if he decides to shore up the line of an AFC East team or someone they play this season.

Wouldn't we still have to pay his complete salary if he stayed on the reserve list or officially retired before June 1? Or did that take care of it?

2 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he was still being listed with a cap hit until today (along with the dead money). In any case, if Sportrac is right, it looks as if they will have a little over 13m in cap space when they sign Allen and Phillips, but not sure if that's more than it was before the release.

I keep a pretty close eye on Spotrac and it hasn't changed concerning Ritchie.

You can tell by looking on the right pane in transactions.  It will show Ritchie released soon.

If any changes happen it will happen once they post that.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm thinking you may be onto something here, though I think the details may be wrong.  This has the ring of "negotiated settlement"

Typically if a player retires, they need to repay the prorated portion of their signing bonus, in RI's case $1.15M (I think) and they forfeit guaranteed money.

The Bills and RI may have reached a negotiation where they released him in exchange for a favorable settlement of the cap/repayment issue, with RI (if he wants to play) feeling that he'll get more money if he's on the market and signs, than he loses by prolonging a fight over returning his prorated signing bonus.

I know it's in quotes but I think the word "cut" is confusing here.  RI retired, and wasn't cut.  That means the Bills definitively don't owe him any guaranteed salary for next year, and he has to repay his signing bonus.