Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

Man this has a Charlie Sheen aspect to it. People laughing at a mental ill person, without realizing it until that person either gets help and states they had an issue, or they exhibit clearly irrational behavior. 

Not judging, I laughed too, until I realized what I was laughing at, which in this case, was right this moment.

10 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Man this has a Charlie Sheen aspect to it. People laughing at a mental ill person, without realizing it until that person either gets help and states they had an issue, or they exhibit clearly irrational behavior. 

Not judging, I laughed too, until I realized what I was laughing at, which in this case, was right this moment.

....doesn't "help" need an admission of need from the subject person?......note that the Baker Act detainment is called INVOLUNTARY which connotes disagreement on behalf of Richie.....also the is the 2nd time for Baker Act detainment....

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If they didn't mess with his money he would still be a good soldier.

I would wholeheartedly disagree.  

He he started showing signs of issues in the post season with whatever transpired with Jacksonville and the name calling.

I think the Bills investigation made them more reluctant to keep him and they decided he was not worth what they were paying him.

I don’t believe the pay cut was the issue - more was going on before that and that was just a small part of the overall drama Cogs had going on.

20 hours ago, Lfod said:

Who doesn't want to get paid more? I guess every player should take notice. Let's just wait and see the outcome for cogs before we tout it as a genius idea. I don't know why more players don't conduct business like this. I'm surprised it isn't standard practice. My guess is it was a bad move and it doesn't end well. 

Buffalo released him yet they are the bad guy to some. They could of made things harder for him but didn't.

Yup. I was right. 

21 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....doesn't "help" need an admission of need from the subject person?......note that the Baker Act detainment is called INVOLUNTARY which connotes disagreement on behalf of Richie.....also the is the 2nd time for Baker Act detainment....

No, you can help someone who fell asleep while on train tracks. 

Further, pulling them off the track long before a train is coming is helping them, as is pulling them off moments before they are hit.

I feel as a society we point and laugh at people who fall asleep on "train tracks," often because we don't realize that is what is going on. Again, Charlie Sheen was having a severe manic episode, and was in legit mental crisis, but as a group, we largely laughed (both with and at him). It is hard to recognize a lot of mental illness without that train speeding toward the person though, and sadly a lot of times we don't catch it until it's too late (Parkland, or self injury), or even with help, some people just 'fall asleep' in dangerous places.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

No, you can help someone who fell asleep while on train tracks. 

Further, pulling them off the track long before a train is coming is helping them, as is pulling them off moments before they are hit.

I feel as a society we point and laugh at people who fall asleep on "train tracks," often because we don't realize that is what is going on. Again, Charlie Sheen was having a severe manic episode, and was in legit mental crisis, but as a group, we largely laughed (both with and at him). It is hard to recognize a lot of mental illness without that train speeding toward the person though, and sadly a lot of times we don't catch it until it's too late (Parkland, or self injury), or even with help, some people just 'fall asleep' in dangerous places.

...sorry but it is NO laughing matter IMO....sounds like those close who care can't convince him so he climbs right back on "the tracks"....which is why his arrest was under the Baker Act which is INVOLUNTARY.....

FROM ESPN:

Former NFL offensive lineman Richie Incognito thought he was under surveillance by government officials when he was taken by police officers -- who believed him to be in an "altered, paranoid state," according to an incident report -- for an involuntary psychiatric evaluation Wednesday in Boca Raton, Florida.

According to an incident report by the Boca Raton Police Department, obtained Thursday by ESPN, the 34-year-old Incognito "believed ordinary citizens were government officials that were tracking and recording him." He was not arrested but was taken into custody under Florida's Baker Act, which allows for involuntary psychiatric commitment for people seen as a danger to themselves or others.

FROM YARDBARKER:

Report: Richie Incognito’s friends have been 'concerned' about him for months

Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports
By Steve DelVecchio  |  Last updated 5/24/18

Richie Incognito was detained by police at a gym in Boca Raton on Wednesday, and it sounds like that incident may have only been the latest in an extended period of erratic behavior from the former Buffalo Bills lineman.

TMZ, which first broke the story about Incognito getting into an argument with a man and allegedly throwing a dumbbell at him, reports that Incognito had been “acting bizarrely” — though not violent — at the gym the previous day. Sources close to the 34-year-old told TMZ that they have been concerned about Incognito’s behavior for months and have been trying to get him help. Even the victim from Wednesday’s incident expressed concern for Incognito.

18 hours ago, bbb said:

Dd-mjVxVMAE3AfP.jpg

Now it all makes sense.

I guess you're joking but in all seriousness, there is no doubt Richie was suffering from some type of chemical impact on his brain...either as a result of taking something he shouldn't have, or failing to take something he should have.

That combined with weirdo conspiracy paranoia crap.  Though in fairness, tons of people are into that sort of thing, probably including many who routinely contribute to this forum.

4 hours ago, papazoid said:

Maybe he got a hold of the same stuff Zay Jones was taking during his little melt down.

On 5/23/2018 at 2:56 PM, Peter said:

As an aside, whether you take your or my side on the Richie contract situation, it is clear that he would have been better off at OTA's in the structured environment of a football team.  When that becomes part of your family, it is difficult not to have that anymore.

To be fair, we don’t actually know that. If he’s having a full on split from reality, I’m not sure that being at OTAs would’ve been much better outside of having more medical professionals around (though he had already publicly rebuked the Nflpa mental health guy). Things like this happen to completely ordinary people with completely ordinary families and routines. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/23/2018 at 2:21 PM, LABillzFan said:

You honestly believe that the Bills -- the team who gave Incognito a second chance to redeem his career and earn his way to a Pro Bowl squad -- is responsible for making Igconito go full-goose-batschitt-loony because they didn't pay him enough money?

Weird worldview ya got there.

Sounds like Roid Rage to me ....