Steve Fairchild on Allen and 2018 qbs

I know Fairchild was on WGR 550 today but here is a link to a Denver radio interview just before the draft. He seems to believe strongly in Allen as a franchise qb and has worked with him in the past (recruited Allen). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/orangeandblue760.iheart.com/alternate/amp/2018-04-25-former-csu-hc-steve-fairchild-talks-draft-qbs/

Edited by racketmaster

Allen is clearly his top qb. He believes there are 3 franchise qbs in the 2018 draft and they should all go very quickly in the draft. He believes Allen, Darnold and Rosen are the top qbs. 

He is is also very high on Mason Rudolph and believes when it is all said and done he could end up being the best qb in the draft. 

Not as high on Jackson and Mayfield. Mayfield had an excellent supporting cast and too many plays in which there was no pressure and wide open WRs. Fairchild is looking for specific NFL traits and there were not a ton of throws that he saw from Baker that translate to the NFL game (pocket muddier and windows tighter). 

He thought Jackson can be a qb but was not a first round qb. Did not display any consistent ability to get past first read. And when he did try to get to 2nd and 3rd reads his feet did not match up with his upper body leading to inaccuracies. This can be coached but will take time. 

19 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I take it this is in follow up to his "QB Final Exams" he did for the 6 top rookie QBs?

Can't listen to it at the moment... anything extra in there from outside what those evaluations said?

I just posted a summary above but it is worth listening to when you find the time. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, racketmaster said:

I know Fairchild was on WGR 550 today but here is a link to a Denver radio interview just before the draft. He seems to believe strongly in Allen as a franchise qb and has worked with him in the past (recruited Allen). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/orangeandblue760.iheart.com/alternate/amp/2018-04-25-former-csu-hc-steve-fairchild-talks-draft-qbs/

Ddwn8leU0AAv67t.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

For what it’s worth I was at a wine tasting event yesterday and the elderly lady who happened to be seated next to me (when she learned I was a Bills fan) reported that we drafted a real winner in Josh Allen. So there’s that!

• Haha (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

For what it’s worth I was at a wine tasting event yesterday and the elderly lady who happened to be seated next to me (when she learned I was a Bills fan) reported that we drafted a real winner in Josh Allen. So there’s that!

What were her thoughts on merlot?

Truth be told, Allen is fairly mobile for a guy his size. He isn't a statue back there by any means. He isn't going to beat Watson or Mariota in the 40, but he can run if he has to or if the opportunity presents itself. He also has the frame to take those hits and shake people off at times. Hoping they put him in positions to succeed and play call according to his strengths while he gets comfortable within the offense. I still think he wins the starting job through TC and the Preseason. 

5 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

Steve Fairchild hmmm. Didn’t we run his ass out of town for sucking as the offensive coordinator? That Steve Fairchild?

Actually he left to take a head coaching job in college if I recall. Folks were a bit disappointed to see him go.

20 hours ago, vincec said:

He likes the big pocket passers. I wonder if that’s where NFL offenses are trending. Maybe.

No offense but that has been the mindset of the nfl forever.  Allen was drafted high because he fit the mold.    The real question is if it should trend more to guys like Mayfield.  If Allen was Mayfield’s size, where does he get drafted?

I remember how excited I was for Steve Fairchild's offense in Buffalo.

Lee Evans and Peerless Price on the outside with Andre Davis and Roscoe Parrish in the slot. JP Losman quarterback us to the "Greatest Show on Turf 2.0". 

Yeah.....

Yeah.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No offense but that has been the mindset of the nfl forever.  Allen was drafted high because he fit the mold.    The real question is if it should trend more to guys like Mayfield.  If Allen was Mayfield’s size, where does he get drafted?

Probably the same place......Dallas. 

Sorry, couldn’t stop myself. I wonder if the trend isn’t more towards guys who are more mobile and accurate than the “big armed” guys. The Patriots little pick plays and the short game works fine, as long as they allow it and you can hit them in stride. 

21 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

All the ancient guys love Allen 

That's b/c they don't tend to focus on analytics and just can't get over the big size/big arm, rather than look at more important traits that have more impact on the NFL game.

Did anyone ever criticize EJ Manuel for lack of athleticism, size, strength, toughness, arm strength, etc?  He has all that in abundance.  The problem is he's a freaking horrible quarterback, due to all kinds of things having nothing whatsoever to do with his body size/strength/speed.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know. I was being ironical. ? Badly, obviously.

Edited by vincec