Bills' OTAs Week 1 (May 22-24) - Practice Open to the Media on Thursday

1 hour ago, Bills4life1924 said:

Why the hell do so many people call him Tremaine Edwards?? Is it really that difficult to remember his name, Tremaine Edmunds?? Lol I heard numerous analysts say Edwards since we drafted him

Remember our QB from Harvard, Ryan Fitzgerald?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Which proved McDermott should stick to his area of expertise which is defense. 

His area of expertise is football. He's a head football coach and knows a hell of a lot more about QBs than anybody on this board.

PHOTOS: BILLS 2018 OTAS DAY 3

temp20180507BW1298--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.J

Check out photos from One Bills Drive from the Bills OTAs Day 3.

5 THINGS WE LEARNED FROM WEEK 1 OF OTAS

kelvin-benjamin-story-5-24.jpg

The first week of OTA practices for the Bills are in the books. Here’s what we learned from this week’s sessions.

4 minutes ago, MDH said:

His area of expertise is football. He's a head football coach and knows a hell of a lot more about QBs than anybody on this board.

Mike Tolbert says hello. 

51 minutes ago, MDH said:

I think it's interesting that most here don't want to believe that Peterman could end up being the opening day starter. Nobody on this roster, right now, is better than Tyrod (and no, I didn't want TT to stay on as the starter.) Yet, McDermott thought enough of Peterman to bench TT in the middle of the playoff hunt. That tells you what the HC thinks of Peterman.

Just because the fanbase has lost faith in Peterman after one start doesn't mean the coach has - and he obviously hasn't. If it was as clear cut as everybody on the board wants to believe McDermott wouldn't be giving Peterman a chance, he'd be giving all the 1st team reps to AJ.

It's been NFL policy for decades to let the player who has been with the team before to start the workouts as the incumbent. It's ceremonial but makes sense. I doubt Peterman makes the 53, regardless of the fact that McDermott clearly likes him

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wonderful accomplishment! It doesn't mean he's above reproach. 

Absolutely true, but I think some are going overboard with the "he knows nothing about offense" as well.  I think McD put his faith in Dennison last season and when the results were less than satisfactory he made a change.  It's safe to say that when you put together a successful defense it means you also understand offenses.  I think McD deserves the benefit of the doubt to see how the offense performs with Daboll running the show.  Citing Mike Tolbert -- a guy who was almost exclusively brought in to preach McD's gospel -- as evidence he's clueless on offense is a little short-sighted.  Plus, Dennison was calling those plays not McD.  Both Dennison and Tolbert are now gone.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

Absolutely true, but I think some are going overboard with the "he knows nothing about offense" as well.  I think McD put his faith in Dennison last season and when the results were less than satisfactory he made a change.  It's safe to say that when you put together a successful defense it means you also understand offenses.  I think McD deserves the benefit of the doubt to see how the offense performs with Daboll running the show.  Citing Mike Tolbert -- a guy who was almost exclusively brought in to preach McD's gospel -- as evidence he's clueless on offense is a little short-sighted.  Plus, Dennison was calling those plays not McD.  Both Dennison and Tolbert are now gone.

The fact that Tolbert was the primary backup to McCoy said quite a bit to me. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He did really well on between the tackle runs.  It was the ridiculous wide sweeps Dennison called that were inexplicable -- I bet McD thought so as well.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They didn't have a ton of options last offseason.  They clearly wanted a big back and Tolbert was a familiar veteran temporary option.  Ivory is the same thing just without the familiarity.  Both are just placeholders until they draft one that they want.  It told me that they had bigger needs these last two offseasons.  

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wonderful accomplishment! It doesn't mean he's above reproach. 

Of course not

but he is the hc not the dc and needs to be given credit for that

11 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

They didn't have a ton of options last offseason.  They clearly wanted a big back and Tolbert was a familiar veteran temporary option.  Ivory is the same thing just without the familiarity.  Both are just placeholders until they draft one that they want.  It told me that they had bigger needs these last two offseasons.  

I consider ivory a big upgrade

7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills OTAs, Week One

ORCHARD PARK, NY (WKBW) - While it was the third day of Organized Team Activities for the Buffalo Bills on Thursday, it was the first time the media was able to witness the practice in full and to learn all about this year's iteration of the roster.

It's still quite early into the process, and there are numerous examples of there being fool's gold during OTAs, but it's also a time for players to put themselves in a good light with the coaching staff if they can string solid practices together over the three-week stretch. That, combined with finding out where the coaching staff initially projected certain players with positions, are the most significant things to glean from practices such as these.
Keeping all of that in mind, what stood out as the Bills took to the field during their first week of OTAs?

Seven observations from Thursday's practice:

1) Josh Allen shows progress throwing left
2) Tremaine Edmunds locked in at MLB
3) A shuffle of the interior offensive line
4) Taron Johnson gets his fill of reps at nickel
5) Yarbrough makes high profile switch
6) Zay Jones shelved, while Benjamin takes a step forward
7) Two unheralded WRs stand out
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Which proved McDermott should stick to his area of expertise which is defense. 

Is that what you really believe?  We're not talking about some highly valued prospect. 

We have him under a very friendly contract for the next 3 years.  Not sure why we would cut him at this point.  He played a terrible game in his first start.  He was going up against a solid secondary and Zay zones was our #1 wr after KB got broken.  Our OL was letting the DL run into the backfield untouched.  He then played a very solid half vs the colts in some of the worst conditions I’ve ever seen.  He won that game for us.  Personally, I think he’ll make a fine backup once he gets acclimated.  At his current salary, I think we’d be stupid to cut him.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

We have him under a very friendly contract for the next 3 years.  Not sure why we would cut him at this point.  He played a terrible game in his first start.  He was going up against a solid secondary and Zay zones was our #1 wr after KB got broken.  Our OL was letting the DL run into the backfield untouched.  He then played a very solid half vs the colts in some of the worst conditions I’ve ever seen.  He won that game for us.  Personally, I think he’ll make a fine backup once he gets acclimated.  At his current salary, I think we’d be stupid to cut him.  

They shouldn't and won't.