Bills' OTAs Week 1 (May 22-24) - Practice Open to the Media on Thursday

5 POSITION BATTLES TO WATCH AS OTA PRACTICES BEGIN

quarterbacks-position-story-5-21.jpg

The on field competition at a handful of key positions begins this week for the Bills. No job is safe in Buffalo under head coach Sean McDermott, where everything is earned each season.

5-24: Sean McDermott Week One OTA Presser (12:09)

Hear from McCarron, Peterman and Allen after Day 3 of OTAs

Direct Link to the QB Interviews.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

13 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Peterman all day. He’s got the most recent postseason experience. 

?

Love it.  Man, I hope the separation for Allen becomes apparent immediately.  I'm so tired of reading the "raw" and "project" assessments and want this kid to prove the "experts" wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Love it.  Man, I hope the separation for Allen becomes apparent immediately.  I'm so tired of reading the "raw" and "project" assessments and want this kid to prove the "experts" wrong.

It wouldn't bother me if Allen doesn't get immediate playing time. As you are saying or I think you are saying I hope he demonstrates rather quickly that he can handle the position. If McCarron or Peterman start off as the starters because they have a better grasp of the offense I would be fine with that. What I want to know is whether Allen can grasp a pro offense that includes progressions and reads. Once that is determined then his physical skills eventually will prevail in his competition with the other qbs. 

There are two players that I will be following in training camp and preseason: Shaq Lawson and Zay Jones. I don't believe either will ever be elite players but I hope that they can improve their play to the level of being solid players. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Daboll is going to have a lot of say in Allen's development.   after not being able to play his QB in Alabama last year and having Hurts forced on him, then being involved in this draft process he knows what he is getting and will have a plan to maximize Allen.   Might not be day 1 week 1 but when the time does come, I think Allen will be ready.

We have too many detail oriented coaches at this point who pride themselves on perfection to throw Allen out there wily nily. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It wouldn't bother me if Allen doesn't get immediate playing time. As you are saying or I think you are saying I hope he demonstrates rather quickly that he can handle the position. If McCarron or Peterman start off as the starters because they have a better grasp of the offense I would be fine with that. What I want to know is whether Allen can grasp a pro offense that includes progressions and reads. Once that is determined then his physical skills eventually will prevail in his competition with the other qbs. 

There are two players that I will be following in training camp and preseason: Shaq Lawson and Zay Jones. I don't believe either will ever be elite players but I hope that they can improve their play to the level of being solid players. 

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying about Allen.

Agreed on Lawson and Jones.  I'm not overly optimistic about Shaq but hope he becomes a viable contributor on the D-line rotation.  I have higher hopes for Zay -- I think he can become every bit the player Bob Woods is, for example.

Why I would sit Josh Allen behind AJ -

unknown O-Line, I don't want him getting murdered

(which may lead to) resorting to bad habits with footwork - let him get more practice to work on mechanics

better receivers - I am pretty concerned with this group, they did not do much last season, and here we are again.  And they can't stay healthy.

I believe in Josh Allen - I just think we have got to give him some maturation time - he only played 2 years of Division 1 football in a weak conference.  Let his tools mature as he sees the game from the sidelines - maybe his career starts mid-season, maybe not.  Start him when he is ready and when we know he isn't going to just get mauled.  I'm not at all worried about his completion percentage, I do think after reading several articles posted here that he needs to continue to perfect his footwork to make that the "habit".  Progress was made, but I think without more comfort in this, he could quickly go back to bad habits when under the gun.

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, MTBill said:

Why I would sit Josh Allen behind AJ -

unknown O-Line, I don't want him getting murdered

(which may lead to) resorting to bad habits with footwork - let him get more practice to work on mechanics

better receivers - I am pretty concerned with this group, they did not do much last season, and here we are again.  And they can't stay healthy.

I believe in Josh Allen - I just think we have got to give him some maturation time - he only played 2 years of Division 1 football in a weak conference.  Let his tools mature as he sees the game from the sidelines - maybe his career starts mid-season, maybe not.  Start him when he is ready and when we know he isn't going to just get mauled.  I'm not at all worried about his completion percentage, I do think after reading several articles posted here that he needs to continue to perfect his footwork to make that the "habit".  Progress was made, but I think without more comfort in this, he could quickly go back to bad habits when under the gun.

I have no problem with AJ starting the season.  Would be great if he turns into this season's Jimmy G!   Then we also have Allen, and when he plays, he turns into Big Ben.  Then we have a problem we could only dream of: 2 great QB's!!

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This should be true. Petermans also a devout Christian. That helps his cause. He will be on the team unless he's absolutely terrible in preseason.

But is he full-frontal-chesty-Jesus-tattoo devout?

Well, played, AJ.  Well played.

Regarding the QB's I think the only area that Peterman and McCarron have an advantage in is NFL experience.  Peterman not by much (1 yr).  They are all digesting a new playbook although with McCarron he should know some of these things.  I think it's just going to boil down to execution and who can execute best.

29 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Regarding the QB's I think the only area that Peterman and McCarron have an advantage in is NFL experience.  Peterman not by much (1 yr).  They are all digesting a new playbook although with McCarron he should know some of these things.  I think it's just going to boil down to execution and who can execute best.

That's a bold prediction, Cotton.

• Haha (+1) 2