Thurman Thomas - 1991 NFL mvp

In terms of pure skill, it was either him or Bruce who were the best players on the team.

As much as I love Jim, he was significantly behind those 2 overall.

Jim gets the most recognition being the QB, but he wasn't ever close that dominant at his best. 

Thurman was an absolute beast, and rushing numbers could've been even better had he not been so damn good in the passing game too. His numbers the following year were just as good as '91. He had 1,487 rushing, 626 receiving and 12 TD's. Only problem was he fumbled a decent amount that season. 

Man I miss watching him play :(

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

In terms of pure skill, it was either him or Bruce who were the best players on the team.

As much as I love Jim, he was significantly behind those 2 overall.

Jim gets the most recognition being the QB, but he wasn't ever close that dominant at his best. 

Thurman was an absolute beast, and rushing numbers could've been even better had he not been so damn good in the passing game too. His numbers the following year were just as good as '91. He had 1,487 rushing, 626 receiving and 12 TD's. Only problem was he fumbled a decent amount that season. 

Man I miss watching him play :(

He fumble the same amount in 92 as 91.

He had 24 more rushes and 4 more receptions and had 6 fumbles in 92 vs 5 in 91

The years were basically identical.

About 131 vs 135 total yards per game

12 total TDs

Really it was the same season repeated.

1992 was Steve Young MVP season and that emmit almost cracked 1800 yards rushing.

Thurman no showed in the Redskins Superbowl after his MVP year, which probably continued to the fact that he wasn't even in the MVP talk on 1992 after having a basically identical season to 1991.

He was first team all pro in 90 and 91 then only pro bowl in 92 and 93 (although by the end of 93 and beyond his numbers started declining)

I disagree with your assessment that Kelly wasn't as dominant or talented as Thomas.

Kelly ran the offense, called the audibles, and overall carried them along with Reed and Thomas year after year.

Smith I'm going to agree with.

He was just on another level.

Thomas and Kelly are top 15-20 all time at their position, deserving HoF players.

Smith is in the conversation as best DE of all time, top5 hands down and valid argument made for #1, and a top10 all time defensive player when you include all positions, maybe even top5.

Anyway overall I agree with you, I just think Kelly was as important and dominant as Thomas overall, although Thurman probably had a higher peak, but Kelly's was longer.

:)

• Like (+1) 1

Loved seeing some of those throws where Thurman turns and the ball is there.  Haven't had a QB or receivers in a long time with that type of timing and anticipation.

Also seeing the Oline absolutely DESTROY some teams is awesome.

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Think about this for a second..........

The Buffalo Bills have made the playoffs exactly four times in their NFL history WITHOUT Thurman on the roster.

Let that sink in.

Juice and Cribbs got in

The AFC was a great conference for those years, it was a cupcake total joke for the Kelly Era, I doubt the runner-up in the AFC would have played .500 in the NFC for those years

...STILL remember the guy agonizing on TV when the phone failed to ring during the 1st round due to suspect knee injury.....and the Bills rolled the dice in the 2nd and landed him ...even more amazing is Barry Sanders was his backup at OSU...guy vowed to play with a chip and he sure as hell delivered FAR beyond ANY expectations...... Thomas was the AFC rushing leader in 1990, 1991, and 1993. In the first three seasons of his career, Thomas had a total of 12 games with at least 100 yards rushing. The Bills won every one of those games. In 1989 and 1990, his combined total yards from scrimmage was 3,742. This was more than 200 yards better than any other player in the NFL. He was voted to the All-Pro team in 1990 and 1991, was selected to 5 straight Pro Bowls from 1989–1993, and was named NFL's Most Valuable Player in 1991, after becoming the 11th player in NFL history to finish a season with over 2,000 all-purpose yards...not much else left to say......

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Think about this for a second..........

The Buffalo Bills have made the playoffs exactly four times in their NFL history WITHOUT Thurman on the roster.

Let that sink in.

Pretty vague way to define it though. Those teams in 98, 99, and lesser extent 96 were far less focused on Thurman as the guy and he himself was a shell of the player he was. Its a fun stat to make though I will say.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Juice and Cribbs got in

The AFC was a great conference for those years, it was a cupcake total joke for the Kelly Era, I doubt the runner-up in the AFC would have played .500 in the NFC for those years

McCoy got in to.

?

30 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Pretty vague way to define it though. Those teams in 98, 99, and lesser extent 96 were far less focused on Thurman as the guy and he himself was a shell of the player he was. Its a fun stat to make though I will say.

Point being, Thomas was a winner.