Interesting Josh Allen Articles

7 hours ago, billspro said:

Didn't see these posted, they were good reads. 

https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-nfl-draft-history/

https://www.cover1.net/balancing-josh-allen/

This video was my favorite. I don't think ball placement will be an issue for Allen, I think once he starts learning how to read NFL defenses we will have a special player. I have myself convinced we have the next Stafford/Big Ben.

I'd love it if he was the next Big Ben, but I have no use for the next Stafford.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Stafford has been a extremely productive NFL QB......if that is the one he ends up being I could live with that.

As you may know, Bill Belichick and I believe stats are for losers, and that winning is the only thing that counts. 60-65 and 0-3 in the playoffs doesn't cut it.

1 minute ago, Rico said:

As you may know, Bill Belichick and I believe stats are for losers, and that winning is the only thing that counts. 60-65 and 0-3 in the playoffs doesn't cut it.

Another guy who puts Ws and Ls all on the QB.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

I think you have to factor in that he came to an O-16 team with terrible talent; they went 2-14 his first season. In the last 7 seasons, the Lions have had 4 winning seasons and 3 losing seasons plus 3 playoff appearances. And you and I both know he should have one playoff win -- that loss to the cowboys was one of the worst reffing displays in NFL history given the stakes involved. The Lions were absolutely robbed.

Edited by dave mcbride

16 hours ago, billspro said:

Didn't see these posted, they were good reads. 

https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-nfl-draft-history/

https://www.cover1.net/balancing-josh-allen/

This video was my favorite. I don't think ball placement will be an issue for Allen, I think once he starts learning how to read NFL defenses we will have a special player. I have myself convinced we have the next Stafford/Big Ben.

I hope you're right. 

There's nothing in his college career hat makes me believe he will be as good as either of those 2, but I'm hopeful the Bills find a way to turn him around.

Stafford played in the SEC and got better each season, while putting up impressive numbers against good competition his final year. And Big Ben was a beast in the MAC, just killing it through the air. Allen didn't do much of anything in the Mountain West, didn't play as much as those 2, and took a step back his final year.

I'm not really confident he can read a defense, but REALLY hoping he will learn. He has a great arm for sure, but for a team that wants to pound the ball, he will have to learn to throw those short - intermediate routes, as well as get his timing routes down quickly. I also hope he learns to release it early, as he won't be able to step back & get much time to throw with this O-line losing its 3 best starters. And he better be able to take a hit, because chances are he's gonna get smacked around a lot due to that awful line.

Edited by BigDingus

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I hope you're right. 

There's nothing in his college career hat makes me believe he will be as good as either of those 2, but I'm hopeful the Bills find a way to turn him around.

Stafford played in the SEC and got better each season, while putting up impressive numbers against good competition his final year. And Big Ben was a beast in the MAC, just killing it through the air. Allen didn't do much of anything in the Mountain West, didn't play as much as those 2, and took a step back his final year.

I'm not really confident he can read a defense, but REALLY hoping he will learn. He has a great arm for sure, but for a team that wants to pound the ball, he will have to learn to throw those short - intermediate routes, as well as get his timing routes down quickly. I also hope he learns to release it early, as he won't be able to step back & get much time to throw with this O-line losing its 3 best starters. And he better be able to take a hit, because chances are he's gonna get smacked around a lot due to that awful line.

Allens oline was much worse at Wyoming, he was pressured on 41% of his drop backs. When he was given time he showed flashes of being great at reading the field, unfortunately he was usually having to run to buy time. He also led a 2 win Wyoming team to back to back bowl games, he’s a winner and a competitor.

Stafford didn’t exactly tear it up his senior season, but was solid. Stafford also had a stacked supporting cast which made his job much easier than Allen’s even though he was playing in the SEC. Level of competition is vastly overrated when evaluating QBs. The only time a consider it is when you have a high level offense like Oklahoma playing a weak defense. Most of the good QBs don’t come from the SEC and lots come from smaller programs. Allen’s WRs were usually worse than the DBs which is why you see him make more tight window throws than most college QBs. He will probably have more time and bigger windows to throw into at the NFL level.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think you have to factor in that he came to an O-16 team with terrible talent; they went 2-14 his first season. In the last 7 seasons, the Lions have had 4 winning seasons and 3 losing seasons plus 3 playoff appearances. And you and I both know he should have one playoff win -- that loss to the cowboys was one of the worst reffing displays in NFL history given the stakes involved. The Lions were absolutely robbed.

If you had to win a big game and he was your QB, do you have faith in him that he would perform well? Based on what I’ve seen from him over the years, I sure as hell don’t.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

What hurts Stafford is he can be a turnover machine at times. He will put up big numbers but it really doesn't mean much if you are also throwing awful INTs which end up losing the game for your team.

230 TD's matters quite a bit.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

If you had to win a big game and he was your QB, do you have faith in him that he would perform well? Based on what I’ve seen from him over the years, I sure as hell don’t.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_active.htm

Matt Stafford is 4th on this list in 4th quarter comebacks, so yes I would have faith in him, not exactly the criteria necessarily you are looking for, but it does show he perform well when needed to

Edited by Bray Wyatt

3 hours ago, Rico said:

I think that's a little unfair. In their first playoff loss to NO he was 29-43 for 380 yards and 3 TDs / 2 INTs (97.0 rating), and the team put up 28 points. Yet the defense gave up 659 yards! And again, he was completely jobbed by the refs in Dallas. They had that game won.  The final playoff loss came against Seattle, and in that season (2016) he started off extremely well, playing at an MVP level. Yet in the final 5 games of that year, he was playing with a dislocated middle finger on his throwing hand with torn ligaments in it. His numbers trailed off and he was pretty ineffective the rest of the way. But he had a legit injury that explains the outcome. 

Anyway, to answer your question, I'd take him in a second. He has pretty much turned a true bottom feeder (the Lions) into a solid team. Put, say, Tyrod on that team, and they're going 4-12 every year.

3 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_active.htm

Matt Stafford is 4th on this list in 4th quarter comebacks, so yes I would have faith in him, not exactly the criteria necessarily you are looking for, but it does show he perform well when needed to

Thanks, that's interesting for sure. Maybe I am indeed underrating him, and I admit I don't watch the Lions (zzzzzz) all that often. It just seems to me that, when I have watched him, he has tended to make critical mistakes at the worst possible times.