Roster Review/Offense

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?

I don't think Beane and Co will take him back if he wants to come back, personally.  I think they acknowledge his talent, but with them, you are "All In", or you're out.

Looks like you are correct.  Still seems odd to treat your ProBowl OG this way.  Maybe the crap that went down in the Jags game was real and McD and Beane aren't messing around.  If that were the case though he would have just been cut not renegotiated.  

Truth will come out most likely one day

IMO, our offense may finish in the bottom five in the league. We just have too many unknowns. If I was the DC against the Bills, I’d stack the box and force McCarron to beat me. For the best interests of the Bills I don’t put Allen on the field the first half of the season unless he’s just lighting it up in practice and preseason. For the right deal, I’d also make McCoy available. Next year, you go all in on addressing the offense. You’ll have excellent cap space and draft capital to add playmakers and solidify the OL and add another LB and QB.

I'm typically very optimistic but just too many unknowns on offense this year. Hope they prove me wrong though and guys step up.

I don’t trust this regime with anything in regards to offense.  It’s the problem when you have a defensive coach running your team.  He already failed at picking an OC and made terrible offensive acquisitions.  

This is is going to be boreball this season.  And obviously it all depends on what type of player Allen turns into.  But they are getting way too much benefit of the doubt on offense.  

On 5/20/2018 at 2:04 PM, RPbillsfan said:

This is the 2nd roster review, special teams will be the 3rd Installment.

The Bills have drafted the QB of the future in Josh Allen, the question we all have is how soon that future will be.  If training camp is a truly open competition then Josh stands a good chance of starting opening day in Baltimore.  His physical skills are beyond reproach and he has the mental aptitude to learn the offensive quickly.  Whether he can translate the skill set to the NFL level is the question we will only get answers too in the upcoming months before the opening game.

if AJ is the clear cut winner then I feel we are in capable hands.  He has solid targets in Benjamin and Clay, a developing talent in Zay Jones, and potential with Streeter and Holmes and rookies McDonald (special teams), Prohel (slot) and Foster as a potential deep threat plus others fighting to make the team.  AJ in college showed the ability to both manage a game and throw the deep out patterns needed to open up defenses.  O'Leary adds playmaking ability and solid blocking at back-up TE, Logan Thomas has another year to develop and Lee adds goalline blocking ability.

The running back situation is outstanding, McCoy is still pro bowl caliber and is an outstanding receiver out of the backfield, Ivory greatly improves the running back depth and will get quality touches, lover Caderet as a 3rd down back and DiMarco is an outstanding blocker.

That leaves us with the big question mark, the offensive line.  Like Dawkins at LT, Mills grades are better then he looks, Newhouse and McDermott add depth.  We do need a long term answer at C, Groy and Bodine will be serviceable this season, actually like where we are at with the G position, Miller should reemerge in a new scheme, Teller may displace Duchasse and if injuries occur, Groy can slide over to G and Bodine can play at C

The 2018 offense will be a developing work in progress, not good enough to win games but I think can function to maybe 21 points a game and control the clock with far fewer three and outs.

Your thoughts and feedback are always welcome

Groy played very well at C filling in for Wood.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:41 PM, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed.

So let's assume he's 80% as good

What about incognito backup?

And any dropoff is still a dropoff, which was my point from the start, as well as in another thread.

A dropoff is realistic to expect, and it's unrealistic to assume there will be no dropoff.

I think he was behind Wood because Wood was a veteran team leader.

34 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I think he was behind Wood because Wood was a veteran team leader.

I don't think they would play the lesser player solely because of that.

If they're close though, I could see that happening.