I like the look of this roster/Defense

44 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Like the change to Rex's defense scheme when he came in, McD bringing in Denning and Juan Castillo is what caused OL and Offense to get worse. It will be up to Brian Daboll to reverse this even if he to firm and disagree on way Juan Castillo wants to do it; if Juan Castillo refuses then he will need to have Coach McDermott tell him the process is top down and Dabool makes the calls NOT him.

Exactly. I thought of Mario Williams when I posted that comment about Richie. Still a good player, but not being used properly to get the most out of his skills.

On 5/20/2018 at 1:50 PM, Ifartalot said:

My chemically treated lawn looks good now and come the fall it will still look good, that can't be said about the Bills between now and then.

So, you think chemicals are better than the process?

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Its hard to guage.....but its exciting because our secondary was good with plenty of ball hawks and our pass rush was not great.

Insert Trent Murphy and his double digit sacks to go across from Huges.....and the upgrade of the interior of the DL and they might be able to make even more plays on the ball.

I'm not as hopeful as you are, but maybe you're right. It'd definitely be great if you are.

Looked to me like our defense puzzled people for a while and got lucky but that the turnovers dropping around midseason was a sign that either our lucky streak was over or that teams had a better bead on what the defense was doing.

Having said that, I do really like the defensive backfield. And last year's defense was better than they ranked, I thought. They had a three-game streak of awfulness that was so epic that it bent the averages for the rest of the year when they played decently.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 5/20/2018 at 1:39 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly the jury is out on the 2018 draft but just a hunch that it shaped up to be a very good one, following a solid 2017 draft....hard to remember the last time Bflo had back to back solid drafts, looking ahead in 2019 to fill in some gaps via draft and $85+ mil to spend.....always seemed like Bflo could have a dent draft and the following year sprung more "leaks in the dam" than the previous one.....hence, we were always playing catch up trying to patch MAJOR holes.....this gang from FO to Admin to the field represents one helluva FOOTBALL organization in short order and I STILL think the future is as bright if not brighter than the Polian era.......

You lost me with the last line. The advent of FA will never allow another team to come close to the Polian era talent level. HOFers at every key position and best ever franchise LBs, OL & STs. 

Missing from the OP’s starry-eyed assessment is an overall lack of great players essential to great Defenses. No Sestak/Smerlas. No Sherman White/Hanson -to say nothing of Bruce. No Stratton/Conlan/Bennett. No Saimes/Byrd/T.Greene/Robert James. Quality rotation/depth? Yes. Front line game changers? Not one.

our d will suffocate and take away big plays while (attempting at least) to keep teams honest and stop the run from being a consistent money maker.  think of our performance vs the jags in the playoffs.  they will have some let downs, but not like last years 3/4 game stretch of shame.

we will do the opposite on O.  attempt to control the clock, run consistently, and pass over the top for big chunks.

the sad part is i suspect we will still have too many 3 and outs like we did last year (and before), but our new found ability to put the ball over the d will loosen them up and get us more points.  i don't think we have as many 3 point games, or one offensive touchdown games, as we did.  we will turn the ball over more, and our d is better at every level and will take weapons away in coverage, while being disciplined.

i think we get 9 to 11 wins.

On 5/22/2018 at 6:43 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Badol, I totally agree, especially wrt Jauron ball, but I do have a question:

As for the bolded, would the 2009 SB be an exception? I remember thinking that despite their records, neither the Saints nor especially the Colts (except for Manning) were all that good.

Not splitting hairs Bro. :)

Those teams were talented for 2009.    Wasn't a league high point for talent........seems like every decade or so there is a couple year period where the best teams aren't all that great but there weren't 8 more talented rosters than those two in 2009.    

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/20/2018 at 12:32 PM, RPbillsfan said:

As I look at the roster I see a lot of potential for this season and the seasons to follow.

I can see the Bills playing a 4-2-5 type of defensive scheme with a player like Siran Neal being an in-the-box safety/hybrid linebacker similar to Dion Buchannon of the Cardinals.

Looking at the defensive line, I see excellent depth at the tackle and end positions with a renewed ability to stop the run and generate more pressure then last year.

Edmunds has the potential to be an amazing game changer in the middle, long, fast and a sideline to sideline presence and his length and athletiscm should create havoc in teams passing games.

Milano was solid last year and will get better with more experience.

The secondary is outstanding in both scheme and personnel.  Our safety pairing of Hyde and Poyer are in the top 3 in the league, T White and Vontae may be top 5 and they are all playmakers.

I foresee 35 to 40 sacks, 20 interceptions and 12 to 15 fumble recoveries on D.

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated

I don't think we have the pass rushers to get to 35, I would realistically say 22. I do like the way the defense is shaping up but after watching the super bowl defense is going the way of the dodo bird. 

On 5/22/2018 at 6:59 PM, Mark Vader said:

So are you saying that you expected Jauron Ball to end the drought last year?

I was fairly high on the team going into preseason and felt with health that 10-6 was very much within reach without having to play not to lose(aka Jauron Ball).

With the exception of losing Gillislee and Bob Woods it was mostly the same  group of regulars/starters on offense that were 7th in the NFL in scoring and had the fewest turnovers in a season since the merger thru 15 games under Tyrod Taylor in 2016.......except they had a healthy Watkins returning.   The defense had a few question marks but at the very least you had to be optimistic about a front of double digit sacker Lorax plus KW/Dareus and Hughes going back to an attacking 4-3 lead by a defensive HC and bolstered by some new Doug Whaley value defensive signings(see Z.Brown and Lorax previous offseason).    In particular I loved the Micah Hyde signing.......I was pushing him as the top safety on the market when others here were focused on the  bigger names.    And I was also the only one on TSW with Tre White as the top CB in the draft.    So yeah..........I felt pretty alright about their chances.    Their depth was the biggest concern.    Front line talent appeared fine.

But when they traded Watkins and dog-housed Dareus I knew EXACTLY what the plan was.........simplify and synergize........play not to lose........bend and hope for turnovers.   I posted that opinion here and got flamed by the optimists and the tanksters as well.? 

It was no miracle.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, SouthNYfan said:

Benjamin has now suffered a torn ACL on his left knee, and had a meniscus tear on his right knee.

These are not minor, and in regards to a knee injury and long term performance a meniscus tear which was played on for another 6 weeks, instead of being handled immediately, is more than likely going to be a mess (I'm not pulling this out of thin air by the way, I'm a PT and deal almost exclusively on the rehab of athletes).

So, yes, we might see a miracle and he's good to go, but more than likely we will see a dropoff for him.

You are correct regarding the defense, many were wrong, and who knows, maybe im wrong, but on paper the surgery for KB, the lack of talent at wr last year which wasn't addressed, and the likely dropoff on the oline with just the unplanned promotion of some backups, and the huge uncertainty at QB, is that most likely our offense will see a regression, and that's okay, but my initial point was people who are recognizing this and being concerned are being called negative, being told that the offense has no need for concern, which is just absurd and basically "homerism" to not think we have legit concerns on offense this year.

In a couple of weeks I will be going in for a scope on my knee because of a meniscus tear. Instead of dealing with the plaguing issue I hobbled around for a year. Did I hurt my chances for the most optimum recover because of my lack of attention to the issue. What is my prognosis? 

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was fairly high on the team going into preseason and felt with health that 10-6 was very much within reach without having to play not to lose(aka Jauron Ball).

With the exception of losing Gillislee and Bob Woods it was mostly the same  group of regulars/starters on offense that were 7th in the NFL in scoring and had the fewest turnovers in a season since the merger thru 15 games under Tyrod Taylor in 2016.......except they had a healthy Watkins returning.   The defense had a few question marks but at the very least you had to be optimistic about a front of double digit sacker Lorax plus KW/Dareus and Hughes going back to an attacking 4-3 lead by a defensive HC and bolstered by some new Doug Whaley value defensive signings(see Z.Brown and Lorax previous offseason).    In particular I loved the Micah Hyde signing.......I was pushing him as the top safety on the market when others here were focused on the  bigger names.    And I was also the only one on TSW with Tre White as the top CB in the draft.    So yeah..........I felt pretty alright about their chances.    Their depth was the biggest concern.    Front line talent appeared fine.

But when they traded Watkins and dog-housed Dareus I knew EXACTLY what the plan was.........simplify and synergize........play not to lose........bend and hope for turnovers.   I posted that opinion here and got flamed by the optimists and the tanksters as well.? 

It was no miracle.   

So you thought they had a chance, but did not expect it.

I too loved the signing of Micah Hyde. I did like Tre'Davious White a lot, not as the top corner in the draft, but I also was not thinking cornerback with our first pick. For that matter, I wasn't expecting us to trade down 17 spots in the first round, as much as I enjoyed it.

Are you less optimistic about this year's team than last year's team?

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In a couple of weeks I will be going in for a scope on my knee because of a meniscus tear. Instead of dealing with the plaguing issue I hobbled around for a year. Did I hurt my chances for the most optimum recover because of my lack of attention to the issue. What is my prognosis? 

Nice try with the sarcasm/condescension.

I'll actually give you an answer though, you know, based on my knowledge of knee injuries.

If you tear a meniscus, "hobbling" around on it, playing on it, or just walking on it in general is not great for it.

The more you walk on it/perform heavy activities on it, the more impact and trauma the area sustains, leading to more inflammation, which leads to breakdown of the joint integrity.

When you have chronic inflammation in the knee (or any joint, but particularly synovial, weightbearing joints, such as the knee) you wind up causing structural damage to it.

Playing with a torn meniscus, without resting and letting it heal on it's own (which takes generally 4-6 weeks of inactivity, just walking at most), is akin to driving around on a flat tire, grinding your rim on the pavement.

It's not good for it, and it has a high chance of doing more harm than good with "trying to play through it".

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Nice try with the sarcasm/condescension.

I'll actually give you an answer though, you know, based on my knowledge of knee injuries.

If you tear a meniscus, "hobbling" around on it, playing on it, or just walking on it in general is not great for it.

The more you walk on it/perform heavy activities on it, the more impact and trauma the area sustains, leading to more inflammation, which leads to breakdown of the joint integrity.

When you have chronic inflammation in the knee (or any joint, but particularly synovial, weightbearing joints, such as the knee) you wind up causing structural damage to it.

Playing with a torn meniscus, without resting and letting it heal on it's own (which takes generally 4-6 weeks of inactivity, just walking at most), is akin to driving around on a flat tire, grinding your rim on the pavement.

It's not good for it, and it has a high chance of doing more harm than good with "trying to play through it".

I say this with all seriousness that my question had no sarcasm and condescension attached to it. I don't know why you would think that? Next week I will get my schedule for the scope on the tear. I do appreciate your knowledgeable response to my inquiry. Again, I was serious with my question and there was no intention of being sarcastic. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I say this with all seriousness that my question had no sarcasm and condescension attached to it. I don't know why you would think that? Next week I will get my schedule for the scope on the tear. I do appreciate your knowledgeable response to my inquiry. Again, I was serious with my question and there was no intention of being sarcastic. 

Sorry it seemed it John.

I really thought you said did you hurt your chances for most optimum recovery to become an NFL receiver lol.

I'm so used to sarcasm here I just assumed as much.

Good luck with your repair.

I honestly am damn good at my job, if you have any general questions about your recovery you can feel free to PM me, I'll help where I can :)

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Sorry it seemed it John.

I really thought you said did you hurt your chances for most optimum recovery to become an NFL receiver lol.

I'm so used to sarcasm here I just assumed as much.

Good luck with your repair.

I honestly am damn good at my job, if you have any general questions about your recovery you can feel free to PM me, I'll help where I can :)

I appreciate your response. My worry that was misconstrued was that I have been putting off addressing an obvious problem for more than a year. I have continued to go to the gym and ride the stationary bike for 20 or  more miles in hope of keeping the leg strong and I rotate days of swimming a mile or more. I'm hoping my hard headed behavior didn't set me back. 

And thank you for your offer to answer questions after the procedure. The challenge for me is to not over do it and let the injury heal. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I appreciate your response. My worry that was misconstrued was that I have been putting off addressing an obvious problem for more than a year. I have continued to go to the gym and ride the stationary bike for 20 or  more miles in hope of keeping the leg strong and I rotate days of swimming a mile or more. I'm hoping my hard headed behavior didn't set me back. 

And thank you for your offer to answer questions after the procedure. The challenge for me is to not over do it and let the injury heal. 

Yes that's definitely a challenge!

If you weren't doing heavy impact then I'm sure you didn't mess it terribly.

Let's remember that when I say "not resting" and letting it heal, in talking about KB, who went back to playing in NFL games without it being healed.

That's much more detrimental than just riding the bike:)

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

So you thought they had a chance, but did not expect it.

I too loved the signing of Micah Hyde. I did like Tre'Davious White a lot, not as the top corner in the draft, but I also was not thinking cornerback with our first pick. For that matter, I wasn't expecting us to trade down 17 spots in the first round, as much as I enjoyed it.

Are you less optimistic about this year's team than last year's team?

I expected what we saw.    Boring Jauron Ball with a few games decided very late.

I don't believe in jinxes or any of that garbage.

They didn't miss the playoffs at 9-7 the other two times they got there during the drought because of bad luck.......9-7 isn't a number you can EXPECT to get you into the playoffs.

So backing into the playoffs at 9-7 doesn't reach miracle status for me.    

But yes I am definitely less optimistic about this year's team right now than I was about last year's at this time.

I explained why earlier.

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The Jets game the defense was bad.(Although some how people put a lot of blame on Tyrod in that game) The Saints game was atrocious in all aspects. 

The Chargers game was more a product of a QB throwing 5 INTs in ONE HALF. 

One thing that stood out with the defense was the complete lack of a decent pass rush(it was real bad)and inability to stop the run. I think they adresssed the inability to stop the run. That shouldn't be an issue. Pass rush is still a concern. 

I agree with most of your post, but politely disagree about that Chargers game.

Yeah, the offense is in for a massive amount of the blame. But the defense didn't look good at all either.

San Diego scored 54 points, but two of those TDs were a TD return of a Peterman INT and a TD return of a Tyrod fumble. The defense can’t be held responsible for those in any way.

That leaves 40 points.

Here are what the Chargers drives looked like:

1st – starts at Bills 31, held to an FG. Three plays, three yards. That’s a defensive success.

2nd 9:02 in the 1st Q – starts at Chargers 25. 45 yard drive and FG.

3rd 1:09 in the 1st Q – starts at Buf 45. TD. Terrific field position but they allowed a TD

4th 12:43 in the 2nd Q – starts at Buf  15. TD. The offense gets the lions share of the blame, but the defense didn’t hold them to a FG.

5th 9:09 in the 2nd – starts at Chargers 24. 66 yard drive and a field goal. You like that they didn’t allow the TD, but that’s a long drive.

6th 3:46 in the 2nd Q – starts at Chargers 43. 57 yard TD drive.

7th 0:35 in the 2nd Q – starts at Chargers 46. 33 yard drive. Kicked a FG with two seconds left on a 2nd and 10 at the 21.

8th 15:00 in the 3rd Q – starts at Chargers 25. 65 yard drive. FG on 4th and 10 at the 10 yard line.

9th 7:34 in the 3rd Q – starts at Chargers 22. 6 play drive and their first punt

10th 13:51 in the 4th Q – starts at Chargers 42. 9 play 58 yard drive and TD.

11th 4:49 in the 4th Q – starts at Buf 47. Two runs and a pass 3-and-out.

12th 2:46 in the 4th Q – starts at Chargers 40. First down on the second play and then three kneel-downs to end the game.

The first Chargers punt came on the 9th drive, at 7:34 in the 3rd. Yeah, I'm sure fatigue might have been a part of the problem and bad field position was a major factor. But the defense just didn't look good at all.

Edited by Thurman#1

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:39 PM, ScottLaw said:

Yikes. Can't argue that.

Still a lot of that awful defensive stretch was due to the defenses inability to stop the run right after they traded Dareus. They seemed to have addressed that this offseason. 

The D definitely looked better after that horrible stretch, even last year.

But again, our schedule was pretty weak last year. And we're going to be youngish this year, IMHO. Oughta be interesting.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, colin said:

our d will suffocate and take away big plays while (attempting at least) to keep teams honest and stop the run from being a consistent money maker.  think of our performance vs the jags in the playoffs.  they will have some let downs, but not like last years 3/4 game stretch of shame.

we will do the opposite on O.  attempt to control the clock, run consistently, and pass over the top for big chunks.

the sad part is i suspect we will still have too many 3 and outs like we did last year (and before), but our new found ability to put the ball over the d will loosen them up and get us more points.  i don't think we have as many 3 point games, or one offensive touchdown games, as we did.  we will turn the ball over more, and our d is better at every level and will take weapons away in coverage, while being disciplined.

i think we get 9 to 11 wins.

i think if we can get to 5-3 over the first 8 games , we can go 11-5.

• Like (+1) 1