I like the look of this roster/Defense

7 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

As I look at the roster I see a lot of potential for this season and the seasons to follow.

I can see the Bills playing a 4-2-5 type of defensive scheme with a player like Siran Neal being an in-the-box safety/hybrid linebacker similar to Dion Buchannon of the Cardinals.

Looking at the defensive line, I see excellent depth at the tackle and end positions with a renewed ability to stop the run and generate more pressure then last year.

Edmunds has the potential to be an amazing game changer in the middle, long, fast and a sideline to sideline presence and his length and athletiscm should create havoc in teams passing games.

Milano was solid last year and will get better with more experience.

The secondary is outstanding in both scheme and personnel.  Our safety pairing of Hyde and Poyer are in the top 3 in the league, T White and Vontae may be top 5 and they are all playmakers.

I foresee 35 to 40 sacks, 20 interceptions and 12 to 15 fumble recoveries on D.

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated

But, how many times does Brady leave the game on a cart?

8 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

As I look at the roster I see a lot of potential for this season and the seasons to follow.

I can see the Bills playing a 4-2-5 type of defensive scheme with a player like Siran Neal being an in-the-box safety/hybrid linebacker similar to Dion Buchannon of the Cardinals.

Looking at the defensive line, I see excellent depth at the tackle and end positions with a renewed ability to stop the run and generate more pressure then last year.

Edmunds has the potential to be an amazing game changer in the middle, long, fast and a sideline to sideline presence and his length and athletiscm should create havoc in teams passing games.

The secondary is outstanding in both scheme and personnel.  Our safety pairing of Hyde and Poyer are in the top 3 in the league, T White and Vontae may be top 5 and they are all playmakers.

As diehard Bills fan I hope your right ! 

And i do agree with you about our defensive backfield , I think the reason why is the system and great coaching can make an average CB ( like EJ Gains) look like a probowler , White will be even better this year ( with a full season under his belt) 

As far as our DL and LB position everything is based on potential so will have to wait and see , Im sure you remember the ( IMO ) GOAT coach Bill Parcels comment (about potential)

I know we’re talking defense but , OL & WR position is also a question mark  , But I can’t wait for the preseason to see Josh Allen behind center , I know many on here were disappointed with the pick and wanted Rosen,  but the majority are starting to come around and getting on board , I maybe wrong and time will tell but I really didn’t want Rosen 

so I was thrilled when I heard Bliis select Josh Allen , 

I think the most important part and the one that I’m most excited is that ( IMO ) overall team is headed in the right direction , 

8 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

McDermott to me has to be in the conversation of elite defensive minds in the NFL. And he seems to hit on FA and drafted players , knowing exactly what role the new guys are going to play.

His scheme seems extremely easy for players to grasp , yet causes consistent turmoil for opposing offenses. I see this defense as top 10 or better , with year 2 of the roster remake, and no big time losses and alot of gains on D , I can see a great defense for years to come..

22 minutes ago, Putin said:

As diehard Bills fan I hope your right ! 

And i do agree with you about our defensive backfield , I think the reason why is the system and great coaching can make an average CB ( like EJ Gains) look like a probowler , White will be even better this year ( with a full season under his belt) 

As far as our DL and LB position everything is based on potential so will have to wait and see , Im sure you remember the ( IMO ) GOAT coach Bill Parcels comment (about potential)

I know we’re talking defense but , OL & WR position is also a question mark  , But I can’t wait for the preseason to see Josh Allen behind center , I know many on here were disappointed with the pick and wanted Rosen,  but the majority are starting to come around and getting on board , I maybe wrong and time will tell but I really didn’t want Rosen 

so I was thrilled when I heard Bliis select Josh Allen , 

I think the most important part and the one that I’m most excited is that ( IMO ) overall team is headed in the right direction , 

I agree. Nothing to do with skills(which Allen clearly had the highest ceiling)- I don't know if Rosen has that warrior spirit in him , or has the ability to lead a group of grown men on offense. I see the total opposite in Allen

I think the defense SHOULD be very good. Outside an abysmal 3 game stretch, they were solid last year, and they've addressed their biggest weaknesses.

After Haynesworth 2.0 departed, we lacked a space eater in the middle, a pass rusher to complement Hughes, and speed at LB.

We've added Loutuleili to jam up the middle, Trent Murphy to pressure the QB, and Edmunds may be the fastest LB in the NFL. We lost Gaines, but replaced him with V. Davis which is a wash +/-. Phillips and Lawson give us depth/rotation.

My prediction is that we lose 3-4 key players to IR and suck because we're the Bills and God hates us, but theoretically this should be one of the best units in the league.

12 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I think the defense SHOULD be very good. Outside an abysmal 3 game stretch, they were solid last year, and they've addressed their biggest weaknesses.

After Haynesworth 2.0 departed, we lacked a space eater in the middle, a pass rusher to complement Hughes, and speed at LB.

We've added Loutuleili to jam up the middle, Trent Murphy to pressure the QB, and Edmunds may be the fastest LB in the NFL. We lost Gaines, but replaced him with V. Davis which is a wash +/-. Phillips and Lawson give us depth/rotation.

My prediction is that we lose 3-4 key players to IR and suck because we're the Bills and God hates us, but theoretically this should be one of the best units in the league.

I think most teams  losing 3 to 4 ( KEY ) players to IR  will pretty much suck , unless it’s the patriots* ( fu@& hate them ) can lose 10 key players but as long as Brady is healthy they can still win 12 games 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I expect the turnovers to increase pretty significantly with AJM just because we were so good at protecting the ball the last three years with Tyrod.

Defense should be much improved. Opposing teams shouldn't be able to run it down our throats at will like last season at times.

Who cares about turnovers when in 4 games including the playoff game in Jacksonville all we could muster on offense is 3 points! I don’t know about you but I don’t remember telling my self ( you know what Vlad ) we lost the game but at least we didn’t turn the ball over , 

4 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

You can't read, can you?

HE HAD YET ANOTHER KNEE SURGERY.

So yes, I am counting on him to be worse than last year.

We have a bottom 5 WR corps in the league.

So, yes, you are a homer.

But why would he be WORSE after having surgery on a knee that was clearly causing him issues last year (the guy could barely run)?  With some surgical clean-up and rehab, he could actually be much better than last year.

I was a good snowboarder.  I broke my ankle. I became a bad snowboarder.  I got surgery and rehabbed.  Now I’m a good snowboarder again.  Praise Jebus!

As for the WR, you need to consider the entire picture of “pass catchers” especially when Shady, Clay and O’Leary were in the top four for the Bills!

Regardless, we’ll see how it plays out!  Give me the Kool Aid so I can Homer like Simpson! 

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

On paper the Bills have:

The WORST offensive line in the NFL

The WORST WR corps in the NFL

The OLDEST and shallowest RB corps in the NFL

The most UNPROVEN QB situation in the NFL

We will learn a lot more about this team in camp.    Great coaching/strategy can transform an OL and/or cover up for weak WR corps but if you can't play decent offense your defense needs to be absolutely physically dominating to remain competitive...........and this defense is really built more to be bend-no-break and opportunistic than they are physically overwhelming.    Try to remember that this team gave up 46 points per game over one 3 game stretch last year.........they aren't a stand-alone unit they need an offense that keeps them in position to succeed and a special teams that takes advantage of all opportunities......adding Star Lotulelei and Harrison Phillps and a rookie LB isn't going to transform them into the legion of Boom or the 2000 Ravens.

I am concerned about the offensive line. I don't know if Wyatt Teller can start right away, or if the team has confidence in Ryan Groy to be the starter. I get the feeling that Connor McDermott will be given more opportunities in the preseason to show that he can start. All of this is a big risk.

Yes, our wide receiver unit overall is a mess. However, I think Kelvin Benjamin can bounce back. Yes his injury is a concern, but he's still a talented receiver. Zay Jones will be the key. He MUST improve. I really like Jeremy Kerley, he's not spectacular but dependable. Andre Holmes will have to do a lot more than be a special teams star. Then you have Rod Streater, Brandon Reilly, Ray-Ray McCloud & Austin Proehl. It's not pretty, but I think this unit could surprise some people. We will definitely need some big play help from Charles Clay & Nick O'Leary.

Yes, our running backs are old. However, LeSean McCoy is still an incredible player. Chris Ivory will help. After that, it gets shaky. Depth is a concern.

As for our quarterback situation, it will be a bit rocky. AJ McCarron will have to be the man this year. I want Josh Allen to just hold a clipboard this year. Watch and learn. I think McCarron is just average, and we'll just have to accept whatever we get from him this year.

As for the defense, I think they will be better. I'm not expecting them to be the top defense in the league, but our secondary could be ferocious. Don't forget that we also added Trent Murphy, who should be a big help with our pass rush, and might take pressure off of Jerry Hughes, who still draws double teams. Tremaine Edmunds will probably make some rookie mistakes, but that won't be surprising. He is a definite upgrade. I think Star Lotuleilei will be fine, especially with Kyle next to him. Let's not dismiss Shaq Lawson either.

I think the coaches have a lot of work to do, but we saw what they did with a lot less last season. I think that they know what they're doing. It's not going to be easy, but I think this team is capable of surprising us.

I like most of the moves made especially Edmunds but he is only 20.  I can see overpaying for Star.  I don't get the Trent Murphy signing.  PED user and coming off two ligament surgery.  He should have been a one year prove it type of deal.   Hope I'm wrong, but he is on my short list of training camp busts/cuts.  

I'm most worried about the pass rush for reasons above and Kyle is aging rapidly.  Star and Lawson offer little in the pass rush.  Maybe this will be a breakout year for Lawson.  He held his own with the move back to DE.  He looked slimmer yet seemed to hold up well against the run.  Can he add 8-10 sacks?  That would be a huge lift.  Hughes was average last year.  He had some real fine moments but disappeared for long stretches.  Harrison Phillips on paper looks like a steal.  Can he offer an inside pass rush?  

The secondary looks great.  

Hope McD and Frazier add a few more blitzes this year.  The secondary keeps almost everyone in front of them.  I think they can take a few risks and send an extra man from time to time.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

m not talking about the QBs because they are a complete unknown....hint...unknown does not mean regression....it means WE DONT KNOW YET

And you can take homer and stick it up your.......

hint...we were 14 yds. from last place (32nd) in passing last year. how much better does one of our qbs have to be to improve on that?.....or....maybe the better question is...

is it even possible to have worse qb production? call me a homer too.

Edited by billsredneck1

9 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

You can't read, can you?

HE HAD YET ANOTHER KNEE SURGERY.

So yes, I am counting on him to be worse than last year.

We have a bottom 5 WR corps in the league. That's not even debatable. To think that they are anything but bottom barrel is just completely lost.

You're "not talking about the QBs" because you know you have no leg to stand on. Complete unknown, and MOST LIKELY regression, based on the fact that rookies almost never perform well their first season, and AJ played average at best throwing to Green, Sanu and Eifert when he actually did start.

Your Oline argument is serviceable at best, we lost our 3 best players, period. That's what happened. We replaced them with nobodies who MIGHT be okay.

So, yes, you are a homer.

you can call me a homer too.

first of all kb is in a contract year and if he wants to resurrect his career, he will ball out.

2nd....  "we lost our 3 best lineman" boohoo on and on.  cordy was almost never on the field and was taking up a lot of cap space. luckily, he got us to that no.12 pick.

richie  walked away. we didn't lose him.

eric wood was an overrated center. if groy was in there unannounced, no one would see any difference. eric was a great guy i love him, but he was forced out.

we have a very capable ol group and if we can get a qb to get rid of the ball on time, we won't need 6 seconds of pass pro.

lastly the" average at best " a.j. just has to do better than the 31st ranking we had last year and i don't think that's gonna be hard. so if not being a pessimistic, doom and gloom guy makes me a homer, sign me up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

you can call me a homer too.

first of all kb is in a contract year and if he wants to resurrect his career, he will ball out.

2nd....  "we lost our 3 best lineman" boohoo on and on.  cordy was almost never on the field and was taking up a lot of cap space. luckily, he got us to that no.12 pick.

richie  walked away. we didn't lose him.

eric wood was an overrated center. if groy was in there unannounced, no one would see any difference. eric was a great guy i love him, but he was forced out.

we have a very capable ol group and if we can get a qb to get rid of the ball on time, we won't need 6 seconds of pass pro.

lastly the" average at best " a.j. just has to do better than the 31st ranking we had last year and i don't think that's gonna be hard. so if not being a pessimistic, doom and gloom guy makes me a homer, sign me up.

Kb has yet another knee surgery.

He can want to "ball out" yet be unable.

I'm not sure what your point on Richie is.

We lost him.

He's no longer on the team.

It doesn't matter if he "walked away" , left as a FA, or was sent to Mars.

He's gone, lost, off the roster, whatever, he's not here.

The oline looks to be worse, that's all there is to it.

Will it be a dumpster fire? Who knows. I'd love to be proven wrong.

How do we know AJ will not be somebody who holds the ball and gets sacked?

I'm a well documented detractor of Tyrod, I'm glad he's gone, but I'm not kidding myself into thinking we signed Brett Favre or Dan Marino in their primes.

We signed a career backup who nobody wanted, who performed okay at best with an all star receiving corps. He was just handed the keys to one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL. I'd love him to be an improvement over last year, but I'm just not too optimistic about it.

The defense will be very good, I'm very happy about that, but as somebody said before, adding Murphy, star, Edmunds, and Phillips, then replacing Gaines with Davis, isn't suddenly turning us into the legion of boom. Davis, as good as he might be, is coming off a down year after a bad injury. Murphy is coming off a bad injury as well.

Being optimistic is fine.

Being unrealistically optimistic is being a homer.

18 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly the jury is out on the 2018 draft but just a hunch that it shaped up to be a very good one, following a solid 2017 draft....hard to remember the last time Bflo had back to back solid drafts, looking ahead in 2019 to fill in some gaps via draft and $85+ mil to spend.....always seemed like Bflo could have a dent draft and the following year sprung more "leaks in the dam" than the previous one.....hence, we were always playing catch up trying to patch MAJOR holes.....this gang from FO to Admin to the field represents one helluva FOOTBALL organization in short order and I STILL think the future is as bright if not brighter than the Polian era.......

I couldnt agree more- the front office has shaped out nicely, add to the fact that Russ Brandon is long gone is a huge bonus! 

• Like (+1) 1

I know I’ll get some kick back on this but...

I think Lorax is a weak spot on this Defense, last year he looked slow and wasn’t making plays like the year before. I could see another step lost and him losing playing time. A 4-2-5 seems realistic for sure.

13 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Our Oline lost it's 3 best players this offseason, and replaced them with pretty much nobody.

Glenn was NOT one of the best 3 players on line.

18 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

We need our o-line to outperform expectations given our top three lineman from last year are gone,

Our top 3 lineman from last year are NOT gone. Glenn was a shadow of self and played only 7 games partially.

Do people watch the game or just keep quoting someone mad Glenn is gone?

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Offensive linemen can be replaced

Who did we lose at WR from last year to this

The defense should be even better

Stop using the word "homer" to justify your position....you absolutely do not know

If the ones who disagree with him are "homers" his side is "Pissed in Pants".

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Glenn was NOT one of the best 3 players on line.

Our top 3 lineman from last year are NOT gone. Glenn was a shadow of self and played only 7 games partially.

Do people watch the game or just keep quoting someone mad Glenn is gone?

If the ones who disagree with him are "homers" his side is "Pissed in Pants".

What does that even mean?

Glenn was one of our top 3 linemen

Even if you disagree on that we still lost wood and incognito, who were our top 2

The oline has serious questions

Do you even know what "homer" means?

It's somebody who blindly and not objectively believes a team is better than they are, while ignoring actual evidence that they aren't.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pissed in pants"

Personally I think defense is more a puzzle than offense. Defense is always about coaching. Ray Lewis types are rare. Leadership on defense should be our strength and if they keep up the Jim Johnson defense we should be fine. Plus I really like this idea of Dan Morgan in the building, maybe he mentors Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is where coaching comes in.

To things that should be improved.

This is MY concern. Coach McD dumped a number of good coaches to get his first choice coaches last year and some of them were BAD especially on offense. What is to say that he got it right this time?  Experience has shown us he does not know offense coach talent.

38 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

This is MY concern. Coach McD dumped a number of good coaches to get his first choice coaches last year and some of them were BAD especially on offense. What is to say that he got it right this time?  Experience has shown us he does not know offense coach talent.

But then he also turned around and dumped the OC.

McD is pretty darn good...I dont think any of them are perfect.

4 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Kb has yet another knee surgery.

He can want to "ball out" yet be unable.

I'm not sure what your point on Richie is.

We lost him.

He's no longer on the team.

It doesn't matter if he "walked away" , left as a FA, or was sent to Mars.

He's gone, lost, off the roster, whatever, he's not here.

The oline looks to be worse, that's all there is to it.

Will it be a dumpster fire? Who knows. I'd love to be proven wrong.

How do we know AJ will not be somebody who holds the ball and gets sacked?

I'm a well documented detractor of Tyrod, I'm glad he's gone, but I'm not kidding myself into thinking we signed Brett Favre or Dan Marino in their primes.

We signed a career backup who nobody wanted, who performed okay at best with an all star receiving corps. He was just handed the keys to one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL. I'd love him to be an improvement over last year, but I'm just not too optimistic about it.

The defense will be very good, I'm very happy about that, but as somebody said before, adding Murphy, star, Edmunds, and Phillips, then replacing Gaines with Davis, isn't suddenly turning us into the legion of boom. Davis, as good as he might be, is coming off a down year after a bad injury. Murphy is coming off a bad injury as well.

Being optimistic is fine.

Being unrealistically optimistic is being a homer.

Thank you for trying to set perameters on what is a unrealistic fan is.

How about you just worry about yourself?

• Thank you (+1) 1