I like the look of this roster/Defense

As I look at the roster I see a lot of potential for this season and the seasons to follow.

I can see the Bills playing a 4-2-5 type of defensive scheme with a player like Siran Neal being an in-the-box safety/hybrid linebacker similar to Dion Buchannon of the Cardinals.

Looking at the defensive line, I see excellent depth at the tackle and end positions with a renewed ability to stop the run and generate more pressure then last year.

Edmunds has the potential to be an amazing game changer in the middle, long, fast and a sideline to sideline presence and his length and athletiscm should create havoc in teams passing games.

Milano was solid last year and will get better with more experience.

The secondary is outstanding in both scheme and personnel.  Our safety pairing of Hyde and Poyer are in the top 3 in the league, T White and Vontae may be top 5 and they are all playmakers.

I foresee 35 to 40 sacks, 20 interceptions and 12 to 15 fumble recoveries on D.

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated

• Like (+1) 4

Certainly agree with you in the "seasons to follow part".  Edmunds is still only 20, other new and less experienced  guys too.  Long term,  2019 will be solid, this year can see some growing pains unless Edmunds really comes on fast, but his age does make me worry a bit that will still take him a year or so to adjust to the size and speed around him.

...certainly the jury is out on the 2018 draft but just a hunch that it shaped up to be a very good one, following a solid 2017 draft....hard to remember the last time Bflo had back to back solid drafts, looking ahead in 2019 to fill in some gaps via draft and $85+ mil to spend.....always seemed like Bflo could have a dent draft and the following year sprung more "leaks in the dam" than the previous one.....hence, we were always playing catch up trying to patch MAJOR holes.....this gang from FO to Admin to the field represents one helluva FOOTBALL organization in short order and I STILL think the future is as bright if not brighter than the Polian era.......

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

As I look at the roster I see a lot of potential for this season and the seasons to follow.

I can see the Bills playing a 4-2-5 type of defensive scheme with a player like Siran Neal being an in-the-box safety/hybrid linebacker similar to Dion Buchannon of the Cardinals.

Looking at the defensive line, I see excellent depth at the tackle and end positions with a renewed ability to stop the run and generate more pressure then last year.

Edmunds has the potential to be an amazing game changer in the middle, long, fast and a sideline to sideline presence and his length and athletiscm should create havoc in teams passing games.

The secondary is outstanding in both scheme and personnel.  Our safety pairing of Hyde and Poyer are in the top 3 in the league, T White and Vontae may be top 5 and they are all playmakers.

It appears they are building a nice rotation front to back. Versatility.

Stop the run and the men behind will make plays.
Edmunds will overcome mistakes with athleticism and will start. I do like this defense very much on paper for this season !

20 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Certainly agree with you in the "seasons to follow part".  Edmunds is still only 20, other new and less experienced  guys too.  Long term,  2019 will be solid, this year can see some growing pains unless Edmunds really comes on fast, but his age does make me worry a bit that will still take him a year or so to adjust to the size and speed around him.

i think Edmunds could absolutely have a few rookie moments this year. but i also think he will flash the athletic and playmaking abilities that made McBeane jump up in the draft to take him.

30 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

The secondary certainly has the potential to be a top 5 unit in NFL. That defensive line appears to be a huge question mark when it comes to rushing the passer. The run D should be solid though. 

24 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well, hopefully their youth translates into stamina, as I fear they are likely to be on the field for the majority of each game. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

it certainly seems like they have added talent to this defense, and i am assuming they are all "process guys". if that is the case, then surely this defense should continue to grow. by the time we hit "midseason form" i am thinking that these waves of high motor, high effort guys should hopefully be crashing against, and through, opposing offensive lines. and hopefully this opportunistic secondary can take advantage, much like they did last year.

this year it should be a solid unit.   certainly good enough to win 10ish games.   Plus the pieces are falling into place that with a couple more nice additions  a top 5 defense is not out of the questions.  This season will be about the offense .  Will the o line have enough to hold up, Which qb steps up and will one of the wide receivers break out.  

The Bills are as they have been for a while in 6 -10 win window.  The difference is this team has putting potential building blocks in place , in the past it was a rearrange the parts every year and try to sneak into the playoffs 

• Like (+1) 3

The defense held the Jaguars to 10 points in a playoff game. They got the job done and I was proud of them. They created many turnovers and it was entertaining. The potential was achieved last season.

The Bills defense will be a monster this season. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, wppete said:

I think free agent signings LB Julian Stanford and S Rafael Bush are going to contribute on this Defense as well in sub packages. Both are big , fast and physical. 

like i mentioned somewhere. a lot of solid depth and package  versatility being developed on D. good stuff !

Thanks for the reminder about those Guys

• Like (+1) 1

I think the big ? on D this year is the D-line.  Especially DT.  If Star returns to form from a few years ago and Phillips is able to become starter material by the time KW retires, this front office will have done a great job replacing Dareus/Williams without using a ton of capital to do it.  That would be huge for this team going forward considering DT was pretty much the strength of our defense for the last few years and was using up a lot of cap room.  If Star continues his downward trend and/or Phillips doesn't work out as hoped DT could be a major problem going forward.  

The rest of the D looks like it's coming together pretty well.  We have a few young LBs with potential and if one of the CBs we signed/drafted this year can replace Gaines we should have a solid secondary again this year.  

I don't know if this is a top 5 or 10 defense yet.  But I think it gets into the upper half of the rankings this year.  Beane is starting to get the kind of players that McD wants.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

We can be a top 10 defense that wreaks havoc on opposing offenses.  However, If your offense can't stay on the field, even the best defenses will wear down over the course of a game.  We need our o-line to outperform expectations given our top three lineman from last year are gone, Zay Jones to turn into the pick OBD thought he'd be, and whoever starts at quarterback to be efficient at moving the sticks.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

We can be a top 10 defense that wreaks havoc on opposing offenses.  However, If your offense can't stay on the field, even the best defenses will wear down over the course of a game.  We need our o-line to outperform expectations given our top three lineman from last year are gone, Zay Jones to turn into the pick OBD thought he'd be, and whoever starts at quarterback to be efficient at moving the sticks.

Completely agree, I think the issues the D had last year were so many three and out type of possessions.  If the offense can make a few more first downs the new additions on defense will really take effect.

My concern is will the greater three down efficiency on offense be offset by more turnovers. Tyrod's greatest strength was lack of giveaways, if that total goes up any gains made by the more efficient offense will be neutralized

4 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I see people so certain of a down year.....I dont get it.

This team last year was biult around an improved defense to protect an offense that had a low production passing game but a good running offense.

This defense is poised to really get after a passer and shut down the running game which is only going to help a VERY good secondary......the offense is gonna have the ball in their  hands....a lot.

We are gonna turn the ball over more....I have accepted that because that is what Tyrod Taylor did...he protected the ball.....BUT....I anticipate a improved passing game that will put up passing TDs......I think this happens whether AJM or JA starts.....and I think that as JA transitions into the offensive starter role and gets time under his belt this will improve....then get a offseason with a ton of cap space AND another draft to get more offensive weapons......and LOOK OUT

but about this upcoming season....I frankly do not see a drop off.

• Like (+1) 2