Raising Beef Cattle will Be Obsolete

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, it's the tick bite that causes the allergy.

Due to booming populations of deer and expanding suburbs, ticks aren't just for hikers anymore; I've seen deer strolling down front lawns of a large suburb at noon, chowing on front yard plantings.  Ticks fall off the deer into your forsythia, make thousands of tick babies which survive due to warmer winters, you stroll up to prune your forsythia and CHOWTIME (for the tick)

I hear Asian carp are delicious.

You're welcome

You sure about the warmer winters?

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

What’s the inefficient part ?   

The amount of resources used to make meat has far less of a return of food compared to other food sources.

To be clear I like meat I just see how if your making a more efficient model for producing food it might get left off.

9 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Reading the title I thought this might be touching on the issue that raising cattle for meat is an inefficient use of resources but terrifying parasites are nice too.

Not overly inefficient.  Most cattle are raised in systems other than confined lots.  The soils that they graze generally do not allow for other types of agriculture beyond grazing/hay.  Cattle for dairy and beef is very prevalent in areas such as the Southern Tier as the soils typically are not suited for grain or vegetable production.  Wheat production went mass scale in the Southern Tier during WWI and the results were a disaster.  Imagine your favorite wooded area in Stueben, Allegany, Cattaraugus, etc. counties bare around 1917 other than wheat and some pasture/hay and that was going on.  I can't imagine walking upright alone never mind in back of a horse and plow on some of that terrain.  Soil erosion was pretty bad and the hills did not produce well so when wheat went off peak prices around 1920 many were forced to let the hills go back to wooded land.  That is the ones who did not go broke thinking the boom was going to go on for many years after WWI.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 1

I believe the explosion in ticks is partly because people don’t let their cats go out and roam the neighborhoods anymore. Cats are killing machines. Mice, chipmunks, baby rabbits, etc. The rabbit population has exploded in my area of central NY. 

Cats could reduce the population of the small rodents and other creatures that are part of the life cycle of ticks. 

My wife hates cats. They’re sneaky. No cats for us.  And if we had one, we’d probably be one of those families that would never let it outside. 

Support your local feral cats!

36 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I believe the explosion in ticks is partly because people don’t let their cats go out and roam the neighborhoods anymore. Cats are killing machines. Mice, chipmunks, baby rabbits, etc. The rabbit population has exploded in my area of central NY. 

Cats could reduce the population of the small rodents and other creatures that are part of the life cycle of ticks. 

My wife hates cats. They’re sneaky. No cats for us.  And if we had one, we’d probably be one of those families that would never let it outside. 

Did you hear about the mountain lion attack in WaState?  First death since 1925 on a human in Washington. Two bikers.  One lived.

Cats are cowards.  Fight back, stand tall... Give them hell, don't run... Run and it becomes "kitty playtime."

Just like a house cat.  Go Alpha on their cowardly azz. Wife has cats.  I was never a cat person... But I dominate them.  No worries at all.  The cats submit when you go big on them. 

5 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Neighbors hate the feral cats in the neighborhood.  I have to remind them every year "We live next to a storm drain; you'll hate the rat problem we'd have without them a lot more."

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Neighbors hate the feral cats in the neighborhood.  I have to remind them every year "We live next to a storm drain; you'll hate the rat problem we'd have without them a lot more."

We got a robin's nest with three baby robins in blue spruce off of deck.  If our 3 cats went outside, birds would be toast.  But, so would cats.  I give them 48 hours with the coyotes if they ventured off property.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:30 PM, Misterbluesky said:

Eat More Squirell.

A friend of mine got tired of a squirrel constantly ruining her garden so she caught it and cooked it.

She is from China and ate a lot of weird things and said it was the worst tasting meat she ever had.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

And get the feral cats to eat squirrels and I'd be happy.

And coyotes to eat the feral cats.  They don't do a bad job with the rodent/rabbit population... Outdoor cats do damage to bird population.  They are an ecological disaster. Birds control insects, pollinate, etc... 

12 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You live in a sewer? Are you green and habe a shell on your back? That would explain a lot of things. 

Feral cats? Go get you some fisher cats if you want dead rabbits.

Side story saw two foxes hanging out in the woods this weekend near my mother’s house. They tried to stare us down and seemed to be protecting a den? Babies maybe? I didn’t want to disturb them so I didn’t go in for a closer look. 

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

A friend of mine got tired of a squirrel constantly ruining her garden so she caught it and cooked it.

She is from China and ate a lot of weird things and said it was the worst tasting meat she ever had.

Odds are she included the organs in her dish...I don't do that. Anyway,different strokes for different folks...for example,I don't like the taste of lamb.p.s.-My wife won't eat squirrel either,but she's a fuss ass.

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We got a robin's nest with three baby robins in blue spruce off of deck.  If our 3 cats went outside, birds would be toast.  But, so would cats.  I give them 48 hours with the coyotes if they ventured off property.

And I'll bet your patio deck is full of bird crap.Enjoy.

14 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Odds are she included the organs in her dish...I don't do that. Anyway,different strokes for different folks...for example,I don't like the taste of lamb.p.s.-My wife won't eat squirrel either,but she's a fuss ass.

And I'll bet your patio deck is full of bird crap.Enjoy.

Rain for now is washing it.  Yeah, I tell Crazy Bird Lady (wife) that the birds suck! Feeders aren't helping.

I am the labor/help.