Summer Concert Roll Call

billsfanmiami(oh)

Hoping to do at least Syracuse & Philly

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Saw Dead and Company twice in June. Once at the Gorge (an okay show) and once at Eugene (an absolutely STELLAR show and probably my favorite post Jerry live Dead show experience ever).

Seeing Pearl Jam twice at Safeco Field in a few days.

Fun times.

On a side note...are any Dead fans but me planning to go see Bobby's "Wolf Bros" acoustic trio shows this fall? I can't help myself...I've got an incurable desire for constant live Grateful Dead music, so I'll be going to at least one show.

On 8/3/2018 at 6:25 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Question. Before attending a concert, do you look up what the setlist has been like for that tour, or do you like to be surprised?

I never look up setlists/read reviews before attending a concert.  I like to be surprised and, as far as reviews go, the arts are about interpretation.  What sounds/looks great to me might be horrible to someone else; vice versa.

23 hours ago, Logic said:

Saw Dead and Company twice in June. Once at the Gorge (an okay show) and once at Eugene (an absolutely STELLAR show and probably my favorite post Jerry live Dead show experience ever).

Seeing Pearl Jam twice at Safeco Field in a few days.

Fun times.

On a side note...are any Dead fans but me planning to go see Bobby's "Wolf Bros" acoustic trio shows this fall? I can't help myself...I've got an incurable desire for constant live Grateful Dead music, so I'll be going to at least one show.

Was at the Eugene shows and had a blast. We were drumming and getting ready to look for tickets when a couple offered my wife and I two free pit tickets. Was not looking for a 'miracle'. They said their friends couldn't make it and they were mesmerized by my drumming, insisted I take them for free.

?? 

Pearl Jam is gonna rock Safeco Field, wish we could b there. Got a wedding at the coast to attend. It will be nice to get out of the heat though.

Edited by Turk71

50 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Was at the Eugene shows and had a blast. We were drumming and getting ready to look for tickets when a couple offered my wife and I two free pit tickets. Was not looking for a 'miracle'. They said their friends couldn't make it and they were mesmerized by my drumming, insisted I take them for free.

?? 

Pearl Jam is gonna rock Safeco Field, wish we could b there. Got a wedding at the coast to attend. It will be nice to get out of the heat though.

Awesome! I've never "Miracle'd" anybody, mostly because I'm poor and can't afford to give away $70 a piece tickets. If I ever DO miracle somebody, though, it will be in a similar fashion, and not to somebody who's actually asking for it.

Pearl Jam always puts on a good show, and anything to escape the heat of Portland over the next few days sounds like a good idea. 

The coast should feel reeeeeeal nice the next few days, too!

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/2/2018 at 12:49 AM, Gugny said:

I'll wait for you to write how you liked it before I give my review (to avoid any spoilers).  I will say a couple things, however:  one of the local radio stations posted the start/end times for each band.  They were on schedule to the second.  Impressive.  And Slayer was the loudest band I've ever heard in my life; I've been to a lot of concerts.  Enjoy!!

it's quite a few days after the show now, but i gotta say, i loved it! Anthrax was a lot of fun. Napalm Death was really good (though i really knew nothing of them) and Barney was pretty funny talking in between songs. Testament was fantastic, they just sounded great. Lamb of God was incredible. and while i was never a huge Slayer fan, they sure made a believer out of me. they were Phenomenal! and the crowd was great all day and into the night...until Slayer came on. that's when the people that head been power drinking for 12+ hours came in and made the world their mosh pit. it was insane, but never out of control. loved it. five days later and i still don't have my voice all the way back. 

ps...paying $12/beer when i have a cooler full in the parking lot sucks!

3 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

it's quite a few days after the show now, but i gotta say, i loved it! Anthrax was a lot of fun. Napalm Death was really good (though i really knew nothing of them) and Barney was pretty funny talking in between songs. Testament was fantastic, they just sounded great. Lamb of God was incredible. and while i was never a huge Slayer fan, they sure made a believer out of me. they were Phenomenal! and the crowd was great all day and into the night...until Slayer came on. that's when the people that head been power drinking for 12+ hours came in and made the world their mosh pit. it was insane, but never out of control. loved it. five days later and i still don't have my voice all the way back. 

ps...paying $12/beer when i have a cooler full in the parking lot sucks!

My sentiments, exactly!

This was our 3rd time seeing Lamb of God (opened for Slipknot in 2015, then Slayer last year).  I really like their live performances.  He always says, "We're from Richmond, Mother !@#$ing Virginia."  Hilarious.

I don't know any music from any of these bands.  My son is the metal head.  But I can appreciate talent and all bands brought it.

I'm 47 and Slayer was huge with the metal fans back when I was in high school.  I never listened to them.  Now here I am, 30 years later, and I've seen them twice in two years.

Last year's show was at a small theater below MSG.  Couple thousand seating capacity.  I was sick as a dog that night, but pretended to love it for my son's sake.

Metal crowds are always cool, from my experience.  Always have a great time.

Glad you liked the show as much as I did!

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

My sentiments, exactly!

This was our 3rd time seeing Lamb of God (opened for Slipknot in 2015, then Slayer last year).  I really like their live performances.  He always says, "We're from Richmond, Mother !@#$ing Virginia."  Hilarious.

I don't know any music from any of these bands.  My son is the metal head.  But I can appreciate talent and all bands brought it.

I'm 47 and Slayer was huge with the metal fans back when I was in high school.  I never listened to them.  Now here I am, 30 years later, and I've seen them twice in two years.

Last year's show was at a small theater below MSG.  Couple thousand seating capacity.  I was sick as a dog that night, but pretended to love it for my son's sake.

Metal crowds are always cool, from my experience.  Always have a great time.

Glad you liked the show as much as I did!

i will be hitting 43 later this year, and the last show i saw was TooL in pittsburgh in 2002 or 2003. i have always loved metal music (not that burp metal that the Barbarian listens to) but as i get older i keep thinking that the only bands i would want to see, i am too damn old to go see! but this show was great. very relaxed throughout most of the day, and then got more and more intense as it went on. as yo said, all bands really brought it! it was pretty obvious that they had all been doing this for decades. and metal heads are much like Bills fans...bat crap crazy, but mostly friendly and good at heart. 

but going to this show really, really, REALLY made me want to get upi to the Ralph (i don't think i can ever call it New Era Field) and do some serious tailgaiting!

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Saw a great show by Jeff Beck at Artpark last night.   

He's an interesting guy--he might have said about 10 words all night.    I guess he let's his ax do the talking...

I've seen a lot of complaints in the user reviews on Ticketmaster about artists not talking to much, or saying the name of the city while on stage. I guess I'm in the minority when I say that I just want to hear them play. Unless it's some sort of storytellers/unplugged type thing where they're giving the background of the song they're about to play, I just want to hear the damn music. I don't care if you think it's great to be in Houston, and I know you don't care if everybody is having a good time tonight. 

Saw a Journey tribute a few weeks ago. Not a Journey fan, but they were opening for an Eagles tribute. Every song, the singer would take 2-3 minutes to talk to the audience about how "They don't make music like this anymore man. How many people in here grew up on Journey music? This younger generation doesn't understand. Back in my day, we had these things called records. For the kids in the audience, that was your parents version of iTunes." 

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Saw a great show by Jeff Beck at Artpark last night.   

He's an interesting guy--he might have said about 10 words all night.    I guess he let's his ax do the talking...

Jeff Beck is a god.

Saw him some years ago at Wolf Trap in the DC area.  His show is perfect.  It's like "here's the music, hope you enjoy it" they play it, and then everyone goes home.  No lighting bull **** or emphasis on "show" whatsoever.

A few years ago I caught "Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scott's" on TV; I recorded it, kept it on my DVR for a few years, and watched/listened to it about 1,000 times...

Is Tal Wilkenfeld still playing bass with Jeff?  She's freaking incredible.

5 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

i will be hitting 43 later this year, and the last show i saw was TooL in pittsburgh in 2002 or 2003. i have always loved metal music (not that burp metal that the Barbarian listens to) but as i get older i keep thinking that the only bands i would want to see, i am too damn old to go see! but this show was great. very relaxed throughout most of the day, and then got more and more intense as it went on. as yo said, all bands really brought it! it was pretty obvious that they had all been doing this for decades. and metal heads are much like Bills fans...bat crap crazy, but mostly friendly and good at heart. 

but going to this show really, really, REALLY made me want to get upi to the Ralph (i don't think i can ever call it New Era Field) and do some serious tailgaiting!

Awesome!!!

One more observation from Slayer .... when we saw them at the small venue in NYC last year, Tom Araya talked A LOT.  Wicked hippie talk.  Peace, love, treat each other well etc.  I dug it.

At the show last week, they just played.  Almost non-stop.  There wasn't even a "hey, Albany, great to be here," or anything like that.  I think he may have spoken a couple times between songs, for 10 seconds each time.  They were on a mission to rock.

52 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Is Tal Wilkenfeld still playing bass with Jeff?  She's freaking incredible.

She is also incredibly hot.

51 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Awesome!!!

One more observation from Slayer .... when we saw them at the small venue in NYC last year, Tom Araya talked A LOT.  Wicked hippie talk.  Peace, love, treat each other well etc.  I dug it.

At the show last week, they just played.  Almost non-stop.  There wasn't even a "hey, Albany, great to be here," or anything like that.  I think he may have spoken a couple times between songs, for 10 seconds each time.  They were on a mission to rock.

very much the same at the show at Darien Lake. complete mission to rock their set as hard as possible with no messing around. no encores, no breaks. i think with a show and venue like that it was all business during an allotted time. they came. the rocked. they kicked some serious @$$!

• Like (+1) 1

The better half and I are headed to Boulder and Red Rocks (shows on consecutive nights) to see Railroad Earth next weekend.  Really looking forward to this and Jason Isbell on September 28th (okay the fall) at Booth Amphitheater in Cary, NC.

• Like (+1) 1

Smashing Pumpkins was 3+ hours of music straight through.  What little talking they did was mostly James Iha until the end when Billy Corgan did give a shout out to Rush - only fitting in Toronto.  Some quotes: “This band would not be here without Rush”. “The equation was simple: if you don’t like Rush, fu(£ you”.

made me smile.

• Like (+1) 2

Heading to Canalside tonight for the Headstones.  I have seen them numerous times and they never disappoint.  One of the best bands not many outside Canada and the surrounding area's know about.  Looks like it's going to be a perfect evening weather wise...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Isn't that one of the greatest things about music?  People say music died long ago, but it didn't, there's soooooo much good/great music out there and it just takes us putting forth the effort to go seek it out.  Music pushed on us via radio and other media isn't necessarily representative of what's really out there to listen to, it's simply music that caught the attention of an industry person that is more concerned about how much money it will bring in and not at the quality of the music and the musicians

8 minutes ago, ricojes said:

Heading to Canalside tonight for the Headstones.  I have seen them numerous times and they never disappoint.  One of the best bands not many outside Canada and the surrounding area's know about.  Looks like it's going to be a perfect evening weather wise...

Saw the Fab Four (Beatles tribute) tonight.  They were awesome.  Only a two-hour show, but they packed a lot in.  Definitely crowd pleasers, playing for the average Beatles fan.

I wish they would do shows that play one or two entire albums so the shows wouldn't be exclusively chart-toppers.  They're easily good enough to pull off any album in its entirety.  

Looks, sounds, mannerisms ... all spot on.  Very impressive.

A few years back, I saw another tribute band called Sgt. Peppers and thought they were great.  Fab Four completely blew them out of the water.

Even though it lacked some of their better music, it was a hell of a fun night and I highly recommend it to any Beatles fan. 

On 8/8/2018 at 2:33 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Saw a Journey tribute a few weeks ago. Not a Journey fan, but they were opening for an Eagles tribute. Every song, the singer would take 2-3 minutes to talk to the audience about how "They don't make music like this anymore man. How many people in here grew up on Journey music? This younger generation doesn't understand. Back in my day, we had these things called records. For the kids in the audience, that was your parents version of iTunes." 

LOL.  Sounds like the last time I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd.   Johnny Van Zant was doing this crazy "Skynyrd's in the House!" patter between every song and waving the flag and going all patriotic hoo ha.   I mean, once  or twice... I get it.   But every song?     Good thing they're retiring.    Ronnie must be turning over in his grave...

On 8/8/2018 at 6:13 PM, Fadingpain said:

Is Tal Wilkenfeld still playing bass with Jeff? 

Nope.   Rhonda Smith is playing bass on this tour.   She's great too.  Her base notes were litterally bouncing off my chest all night and her solo was brilliant...

Edited by Lurker

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Saw the Fab Four (Beatles tribute) tonight.  They were awesome.  Only a two-hour show, but they packed a lot in.  Definitely crowd pleasers, playing for the average Beatles fan.

I wish they would do shows that play one or two entire albums so the shows wouldn't be exclusively chart-toppers.  They're easily good enough to pull off any album in its entirety.  

Looks, sounds, mannerisms ... all spot on.  Very impressive.

A few years back, I saw another tribute band called Sgt. Peppers and thought they were great.  Fab Four completely blew them out of the water.

Even though it lacked some of their better music, it was a hell of a fun night and I highly recommend it to any Beatles fan. 

Thanks!

i enjoy seeing Beatles tributes for their earlier years and the Let It Be film era, but it never rings true to me for the studio-only albums (easily my favourite), the overdubbing and studio crafting can’t be captured live

Musical Box does a great Peter Gabriel Genesis tribute including mellotron and of course a left handed extremely talented Phil before he went pop

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.