Josh Allen red zone stats

When you are near the goal line execution usually is more important than athletic ability. So since he had lesser athletes around him his ability to zip the ball into tight windows was key. This is likely a big reason why the Bills wanted him over Rosen

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

So, it only took five or so months of QB draft talk to finally pick an area Allen came in 1st with.

This is a troll comment but I will give you one more he was first in-improvement in team wins from the years before he arrived to when he was there. I will also bet you they drop back down next year. If the most important thing is improving your team he is 1st on that list.

This is why I can't get behind people making vague blanket statements about Allen's abilities based on his comp %.

Folks have actually said that his comp % is proof he cant read a defense. 

The kid may not be too keen on it at this point in his career, but playing in a pro style offense and having heard how good Allen is on the grease board, I dont doubt that hell pick up the concepts.

Let's keep in mind a couple obvious things that even amplify the chart.  Wyoming had a very poor OL and sub par receivers last year.  Pretty hard to complete passes when you're running to escape the rush, and hard to see receivers with separation.  Especially in the confined area near the End Zone.  Doing it the way he did was truly noteworthy. 

Edited by Deadstroke
Context correction

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This is a troll comment but I will give you one more he was first in-improvement in team wins from the years before he arrived to when he was there. I will also bet you they drop back down next year. If the most important thing is improving your team he is 1st on that list.

I didn't mean it to be.  It just seems people are still fishing for college stats to justify the pick with threads like these. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Ugh.  No politics on our beloved board. I believe Trump is an idiot.  Others will disagree, then it degenerates!

I went back right away and deleted the Trump thing, but not quick enough. I forgot no politics allowed. Sorry about that. Just trying to make a point about the media.

• Like (+1) 1

The windows and openings close up quick in the red zone. You won’t get a lot of receivers running wide open in this area of the field. Allen is used to his WRs getting minimal separation no matter where they are on the field so the red zone throws were no different for him at Wyoming. 

On 5/19/2018 at 2:43 AM, TheTruthHurts said:

Also he is a run threat inside the redzone. It's one of the main reasons he reminded me of Cam Newton. 

I had been thinking that the graphic was presenting passing stats, but your comment makes me think that running plays might be also be included.

If so, the stat includes at least a rough measure of his combined passing and mobility, which seems tough to quantify.

Edited by WyoNewt
incomplete post

20 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

so was his offensive line, So was his WR's.. So is this post its lazy

Obviously you didn't listen to what some of the scouts were saying about him.....  I was making fun of the scouts, not Josh Allen.  I guess I need to draw you a picture.

Edited by Azucho98

2 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Obviously you didn't listen to what some of the scouts were saying about him.....  I was making fun of the scouts, not Josh Allen.  I guess I need to draw you a picture.

a little more specific on what you mean when you talk might help. but now that I get your point gg :D

21 hours ago, Deadstroke said:

Let's keep in mind a couple obvious things that even amplify the chart.  Wyoming had a very poor OL and sub par receivers last year.  Pretty hard to complete passes when you're running to escape the rush, and hard to see receivers with separation.  Especially in the confined area near the End Zone.  Doing it the way he did was truly noteworthy. 

I'm not sure that Wyoming's OLine helps this chart very much.  In fact, the effect of the OLine might matter less in these stats.  Since it limits the analysis to teams that you can get into the red zone against, being overmatched by an Iowa, Oregon, or Nebraska defense should be mostly removed.

On the bright side, folks wanted to see evidence that he dominated lower level competition, and I think this stat provides some evidence of that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/19/2018 at 10:30 AM, Dr. Who said:

And yet ten pages of speculation regarding Sean McDermott's "faith, family, football" mantra was allowed before the conversation was shut down.  I was going to warn BB@Shooter that someone was bound to object to such an analogy, but you have anticipated it.

One of the few ten pages of legitimate, reasonable discourse I've seen and certainly since the draft. 

5 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

One of the few ten pages of legitimate, reasonable discourse I've seen and certainly since the draft. 

Well, imo, it diverted into discussions that had little or nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills.  I am interested in philosophical theology, epistemology, metaphysics, and the like.  I surmised such subjects far too tangential to merit a place in a putative sports' forum.  Some folks appeared to use the topic as a pretext to mock religion or suggest that McDermott may be a fascist who preferred Allen to Rosen for prejudicial, non-football reasons.  That doesn't seem legitimate or reasonable to me, though, of course, that does not characterize the entire thread.