Josh Allen. Let's get real people!

1 minute ago, Returntoglory said:

Thanks for the clarification. My point, albeit not concise, is that we went for a QB that by all accounts was a definite project. A true head scratcher even more so seeing that we did the deal with Dallas to obtain what??

Thanks. Please see above. 

You're welcome.  I get all my transaction data from this site, it's great.

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Thanks for the clarification. My point, albeit not concise, is that we went for a QB that by all accounts was a definite project. A true head scratcher even more so seeing that we did the deal with Dallas to obtain what??

Thanks. Please see above.  

Josh Allen is ten times the player JP Losman was coming out. JP Losman had a strong arm, ok size, and good athleticism, Allen has an ELITE arm, ELITE size. and good athleticism.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Josh Allen is ten times the player JP Losman was coming out. JP Losman had a strong arm, ok size, and good athleticism, Allen has an ELITE arm, ELITE size. and good athleticism.

Exactly! The kids arm is what's blowing minds. 80 yards in the air with a tight spiral. Are you freaking kidding me??

5 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Exactly! The kids arm is what's blowing minds. 80 yards in the air with a tight spiral. Are you freaking kidding me??

Not only that, but his upper body mechanics are nearly flawless. Very little wasted motion and energy, release times near Brady and Rodgers.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Do we have enough cap space for fake people?

Another stellar contribution!

1 minute ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Not only that, but his upper body mechanics are nearly flawless. Very little wasted motion and energy, release times near Brady and Rodgers.

Yep. Lots of upside here. I've been following the Bills since the early 70's and I am truly excited to see how he develops.

JP Losman and EJM weren't as highly regarded as Allen. That's a message board myth. There weren't any teams even blowing smoke that JP should be the 1st QB off the board, and EJM was just kinda chosen by default because there weren't many highly rated QB's that draft. 

Edited by OJABBA
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

JP Losman and EJM weren't as highly regarded as Allen. That's a message board myth. There were any teams even blowing smoke that JP should be the 1st QB off the board, and EJM was just kinda chosen by default because there weren't many highly rated QB's that draft. 

Exactly. JP was always "The best of the next group of QBs", and the 2013 draft was a HISTORICALLY bad draft overall, not just for QBs.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/18/2018 at 7:10 PM, Returntoglory said:

We have the prototypical QB that we have been begging for since the retirement of Jim Kelly! HUGE arm, BIG body, and INTELLIGENT! Give this kid some Solid mentoring and a little time and we won't regret this pick.  Now get behind our young QB and show him the support that BILLS fans are famous for! 

I think all fans "support" him and WANT him to do well, the only problem is he's shown the least out of all the 1st round QB's and against the worst competition.

He's got the most red flags & questions marks, and it's very, VERY hard to picture the Bills being an organization capable enough to turn him into a franchise QB.

With our history of developing QB's, and a lack of veteran QB's on the roster for him to learn from & sit behind, it's an almost monumental task ahead of them to get this right.

But I'll be there supporting him, cheering him on, and believing in him all the way. It's just a huge risk they took, and it has people nervous.

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

A topic about Josh Allen is not a topic about Wide Receivers. I know from previous posts that you were not high on Allen. I was. We will wait for 2- 3 years to find out . So , for now,  let your bias against him cool. 

And did we need 17 new topics on Josh Allen telling people to "get real"? No. We didn't, so you will excuse my joke. I have said nothing in this thread about Josh Allen's game. I am not talking about it precisely because it will take us 2 or 3 years to find out. I have said all that I needed to say about my opinion on him pre-draft. 

My only bias here is against needless threads cluttering up the board and adding zero to the discussion. Want to give your view on Josh Allen? Not a problem. There are 3 or 4 threads already open on the fromt page of the forum in which to do so. 

Edited by GunnerBill

On 5/19/2018 at 4:09 AM, GunnerBill said:

Can any of these real people we are getting play wide receiver? 

Good question.

So here's some film of Josh Allen's pro day.  His training facility, indoors, his WR.  3 of the first 4 throws on the film overshoot the WR.

As the 3rd overthrow falls just beyond the WR outstretched fingertips, the announcer is saying "you can't make a better throw, you can't make a better throw than that".

Are these WR problems, where a better/faster WR would have been able to get there?  Or QB problems, where he needed to bounce a bit after his drop so the WR had more time to run the route? 

Or both? 

Or can't tell?

Intrinsically, I'm not too thrilled by an 80 yd throw that the WR can't get to, though I do understand they're trying to highlight what his arm can do and that might go beyond the speed of his current WR

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good question.

So here's some film of Josh Allen's pro day.  His training facility, indoors, his WR.  3 of the first 4 throws on the film overshoot the WR.

As the 3rd overthrow falls just beyond the WR outstretched fingertips, the announcer is saying "you can't make a better throw, you can't make a better throw than that".

Are these WR problems, where a better/faster WR would have been able to get there?  Or QB problems, where he needed to bounce a bit after his drop so the WR had more time to run the route? 

Or both? 

Or can't tell?

Intrinsically, I'm not too thrilled by an 80 yd throw that the WR can't get to, though I do understand they're trying to highlight what his arm can do and that might go beyond the speed of his current WR

They are asked to throw it as far down field as they can, The accuracy shows in the mid range passes

On 5/19/2018 at 3:45 AM, Doc Brown said:

Heard the same about EJ.  I'm rooting for the kid (obviously), but I still would have preferred Rosen.

Is this Doug Marrone stopping by TBD? "Obviously" it must be.

Edited by CSBill

This is great, but I recall reading about how EJ Manual would lie in bed at night, flipping the ball to himself.

That didn't translate into being able to read defenses quickly, make the right decision, and then put the ball

out in front of the receiver so he can catch it on the dead run. Let's hope Allen or McCarron can do that.

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That and $1 will get you a cup of lousy coffee from Tim Hortons.

Crazy to me this is how Tim hortons is viewed now. The chain has gone to complete crap and you are not the only one to notice. I remember when they first came around they were viewed as a great establishment. 

16 hours ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Truth police: This is historically incorrect. The Bills did NOT have an extra 1st round pick that year but rather gave up their 1st round pick the following year to obtain the rights to #22. overall which they then used (wasted) on JP Losman. 

And with that pick we could have taken Aaron Rodgers

16 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Traded 2004 second round pick (#43-Julius Jones), 2004 fifth round pick (#144-Sean Ryan), 2005 first round pick (#20-Marcus Spears) to Cowboys for 2004 first round pick (#22-J.P. Losman) on 2004-04-24

Also shows that the second round picks we traded to get Allen will probably end up being no-names. Small price to pay for a legit QB prospect.

Im also glad we didn’t trade next years first. That can get you in trouble. It would have been nice to draft Rodgers in 2005.

15 hours ago, OJABBA said:

JP Losman and EJM weren't as highly regarded as Allen. That's a message board myth. There weren't any teams even blowing smoke that JP should be the 1st QB off the board, and EJM was just kinda chosen by default because there weren't many highly rated QB's that draft. 

2013 was just a horrible draft class in general. GMs were having to create prospects at all positions. I’m glad the Bills took a shot at a QB and I’m glad they didn’t take Geno. EJ at least had the leadership qualities needed at the position. He will probably end up being a solid backup QB. I honestly think EJ would have been the 9th or 10th QB prospect if he was in this years draft. This was a really deep QB draft this year.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m all in on Allen. However as a fan, I think it’s important to set realistic expectations this year. The offense will be a major work in progress this year with significant question marks at OL and WR. If Shady is injured for any significant length of time this year, we could rank near the bottom of NFL offensive statistics. Personally, I’m in no rush to put Allen out on the field anytime soon this year unless he’s just lighting it up in camp and preseason. Let him learn, work on tightening his mechanics and watch plenty of film.

Next year, you can address the OL, WR and RB depth with the draft and FA. If all goes well, you are setup for LONG TERM success in year three under McDermott and certainly a changing of the guard in the AFC East.