NFL.com Projects 2019 Compensatory Picks

Makes me feel like we are the only team in the NFL that did not get comp picks.

Thank god we’ll with another raise in the cap next year will have probably close to $100,000,000 in cap space next year, so after resign whoever is good and coming up, we’ll still have a ton of money to spend in free agency even with the draft money and some reserves for the season.

Until such time that you have built a team that ought to regularly contend, compensatory picks should have hardly any bearing on moves you make, to get the team to that point.

Once you have got to that point with your roster, then it's sensible to keep a weather eye on the compensatories situation, especially as they are now able to be traded, but if you don't have that roster stacked, or a poor team, chasing compesatory picks, isn't going to get you there.

Pats in line to get 2 3rd rounders, a 6th and a 7th. Bills didn't lose any high round picks in fa this year so the best they could have done was a 6th rounder anyway. Should definitely have had an xtra 3rd round pick in this years draft though. It is not about chasing comp picks, it is being aware what you are throwing away when bringing in marginal talent that could be had after free agency imo.

I think people give the pats too much credit here.  The comp pick system is not just about number of players lost vs number of players gained, but also the size of their contracts.  

The pats get a massive “winners” dividend in this area because other teams tend to give pats FAs huge deals to get them away from the pats.  For those teams, they justify it as the player they are getting has playoff / Super Bowl experience, and has played w BB so may bring some of that gold dust with them.  For the pats they are fine letting the player go because they know the only irreplaceable player on their team is Brady.  

So I look at the pats perennial comp pick bounty as simply a dividend they have earned by winning (cheating) every year and having built a program from which people chase players with experience in that system.  If/when McD and the Bills establish themselves as a dominant program, people will start overpaying to steal our FAs as well and the comp pick system will favor us.

Edited by Bill Murray
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thank god we’ll with another raise in the cap next year will have probably close to $100,000,000 in cap space next year, so after resign whoever is good and coming up, we’ll still have a ton of money to spend in free agency even with the draft money and some reserves for the season.

Fifteen teams are projected to get picks leaving 17 that won't.

14 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Compensatory picks are a reward for losers....  To get these picks a team would need to

let players go who can help the team win

and

not sign players who can help the team win

The Pats get 4, the Eagles get 3, rewards for losers right? Might want to think before you speak?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

The only thing that is tough about that much cap space is you have to land a top tier/elite guy or else you end up paying Derrick Dockery or Charles Clay waaayyyyy too much.

I have faith in The Beane, but he will be in another pressure cooker next year.

10 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The Pats get 4, the Eagles get 3, rewards for losers right? Might want to think before you speak?

Share your thinking...     

What bills players should the Bills cut or let walk and what free agents did they signed that should not have to get theses picks?

Also tell us how the Pats and Eagles will be better with the players they lost with the picks they gained.

4 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’m starting to wonder if the front office even cares about compensatory picks at all. Should be the highest of priorities...

The highest priority is to build a great roster. Comp picks could be part of it but isn't a be all, end all.

I think that this management team has shown so far that they have a pretty good handle on the different avenues available to build a roster. It appears that they have drafted pretty well (to be seen with this year's class), they have used trades effectively, are working to remedy the salary cap situation and have picked up some nice free agents in the last 2 years, both UFAs and street FA. They have talked about comp picks. 

One method doesn't take precedence over another. And get ready for no comp picks next year, they have a lot of cap room and their potential UFAs (excluding probable retirees Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander) are Ryan Groy, Jordan Mills and John Miller. 

26 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Share your thinking...     

What bills players should the Bills cut or let walk and what free agents did they signed that should not have to get theses picks?

Also tell us how the Pats and Eagles will be better with the players they lost with the picks they gained.

Could have cut Tolbert, Duckass, and DiMarco or (Davis?). Not sure about the last one, but would have had a 3rd apparently.