??Poyer/Hyde both top 5 coverage grade for S ??

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Not sure that the Bills pass rush will be that much better but Murphy won't hurt and I think it is reasonable to expect on of the trio of Lorax, Shaq, and Hughes to have a better season. But the pass rush still is a concern in my mind. 

Don't underestimate Star, Kyle and Kyle junior occupying blocks.  Less double teams on outside this year.  

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Can't wait to see them with a pass rush in front of them.

Me too.

I'm hoping that Murphy can step in and give opponents fits about having to block him, which could lessen the double teams on Hughes.

Can't wait to see how Edmunds fits into all of this. Granted he will be asked to keep an eye on the middle, so I don't expect him to rush the passer that much. Still it will be fun to see.

Then there is Vontae Davis. Who we are all hoping can continue the type of career he's had, but we don't if that will h appen. If he is able to do that, then our secondary could be the best in the league. Stay tuned.

Poyer deserved the Pro Bowl. People just knew Hyde from his time in Green Bay, so he had more name recognition.

Tre White deserved it as well.

It's fun to have a great secondary. I hope the front 7 takes a step forward this year. I'm guessing the defense will be a top 12-15 unit this year, and top 5 by next year. McDermott is building a beast.

Edited by MJS

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

This duo needs a nickname!

And to think we had one of ,if not the worse group of S entering last year! 

Isn't that crazy, I think these are 2 of our most important players. They certainly have a connection with the rook

59 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I'm not digging the emojis in thread titles.

Did you say domething?

There's a thread about mods and emojis take it there. I made it ?

Call the 2 the "deep process"

just spitballing here but TBD should get a nickname going around for the fans, media would be all over that. "Legion of boom" and "no fly zone" were really cool

The "pick process"

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

What about Legion Of Boom? 

We don't have elite pass rushers, but we have a lot of them. They will be fresh. The front 7 should be much improved. Edmunds and Milano full time adds LB speed. 

I'm actually high on the defense. McDermott has players that fit what he wants to do. 

Agreed. As much as the pass rush was an issue last year I think an even bigger issue was the lack of speed and coverage ability at linebacker. Milano and Edmunds >> Preston and Humber. Now if we can just find a way to keep LoRax off the field on passing downs...

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. As much as the pass rush was an issue last year I think an even bigger issue was the lack of speed and coverage ability at linebacker. Milano and Edmunds >> Preston and Humber. Now if we can just find a way to keep LoRax off the field on passing downs...

On passing downs they would have four lineman, two linebackers, and five DBs. I doubt LoRax would be one of the linebackers. 

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Not sure that the Bills pass rush will be that much better but Murphy won't hurt and I think it is reasonable to expect on of the trio of Lorax, Shaq, and Hughes to have a better season. But the pass rush still is a concern in my mind. 

Not only off the edge.

Star will demand two blockers, freeing up the middle as well. 

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

On passing downs they would have four lineman, two linebackers, and five DBs. I doubt LoRax would be one of the linebackers. 

Lorax the last couple games, including the WC game was a beast off the edge especially. Seems like McD found his perfect fit and balance between LB and DE. They even announced he'll be playing more DE in off season

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Poyer deserved the Pro Bowl. People just knew Hyde from his time in Green Bay, so he had more name recognition.

Tre White deserved it as well.

It's fun to have a great secondary. I hope the front 7 takes a step forward this year. I'm guessing the defense will be a top 12-15 unit this year, and top 5 by next year. McDermott is building a beast.

I think there’s an easy case to be made that poyer had a better overall season than Hyde. Just as many picks, more tackles and 2 sacks to Hyde’s none. 

Hyde had the hot start for a surprise team to his advantage.  He cooled off a bit over the 2nd half and honestly by the end of the year I think poyer had put together the more impressive season. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

A volume of mediocrity isn't a great thing to have though, I think at least 1 of those 4 will have a good season. But if none of the 4 will pan out then the pass rush won't be improved much. 

Star isn't a dominant pass rusher up the middle. He will help improve the run defense for sure. But I wouldn't be counting on Star to get a lot of sacks and pressure. 

Star will take up blocks though.  Should help Edmundsand Kyle get through to the passer.

20 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Star will take up blocks though.  Should help Edmundsand Kyle get through to the passer.

Star will take up blocks in the run game but he was never a penetrator or interior pass rusher. Kyle last year wasn't much of a pass rusher like he was in years past I think he will help but I don't expect him to be a huge factor in the pass rush. As for Phillips he might be a factor but it's hard to set expectations for a rookie at that draft position. 

I the pass rush will be improved but it's hard to pinpoint exactly how and where that improvement will come from. Star is the only proven addition to the team and he is much more of a run defender. Murphy is coming off a major injury while the rest of the team returns. 

10 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Isn't that crazy, I think these are 2 of our most important players. They certainly have a connection with the rook

There's a thread about mods and emojis take it there. I made it ?

Call the 2 the "deep process"

just spitballing here but TBD should get a nickname going around for the fans, media would be all over that. "Legion of boom" and "no fly zone" were really cool

The "pick process"

How about "deep trouble" 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Star will take up blocks in the run game but he was never a penetrator or interior pass rusher. Kyle last year wasn't much of a pass rusher like he was in years past I think he will help but I don't expect him to be a huge factor in the pass rush. As for Phillips he might be a factor but it's hard to set expectations for a rookie at that draft position. 

I the pass rush will be improved but it's hard to pinpoint exactly how and where that improvement will come from. Star is the only proven addition to the team and he is much more of a run defender. Murphy is coming off a major injury while the rest of the team returns. 

Again, Star taking up attention in the middle, freeing-up Hughes and Murphy (who is healthy) at the ends.  If Phillips can be (close to) what Kyle was, it's gravy.

I would expect to see more improvement from Shaq and hopefully Washington.  It appears to be a pretty good 8 man rotation and having Phillips rotating with kyle should keep kyle fresh.  Second year in this system should also benefit everyone on the line.  Could use another slot safety/ CB and depth at safety/ CB appears to be thin at this time.  If the offense can be more effective in keeping the chains moving and scoring, this defense should be very good, better overall than 2017 edition.  Hopefully a more rounded defense against run/ pass while still forcing some big turnovers.

Just now, richardb1952 said:

I would expect to see more improvement from Shaq and hopefully Washington.  It appears to be a pretty good 8 man rotation and having Phillips rotating with kyle should keep kyle fresh.  Second year in this system should also benefit everyone on the line.  Could use another slot safety/ CB and depth at safety/ CB appears to be thin at this time.  If the offense can be more effective in keeping the chains moving and scoring, this defense should be very good, better overall than 2017 edition.  Hopefully a more rounded defense against run/ pass while still forcing some big turnovers.

Shaq is a good run defender.  I don't think he'll ever be a high-sack guy.  If he becomes one, great.  Washington I don't think will amount to much. I hope I'm wrong.

As for DB's, I think Gaines will surprise people, moving from a man to a zone scheme.  I can see Johnson and Neal contributing a lot.  And Leonard Johnson, Colt Anderson, and Shamarko Thomas are still out there. 

The biggest issue on the defense IMHO is SLB.  But LoRax will be a 2-down player at most there.

Im ecstatic about our secondary in general. 

Poyer and Hyde are smack in the middle of their prime at 27yrs old. T White was amazing as a rookie. And V Davis has something to prove. Our secondary is easily the strongest unit on our team. 

As for the pass rush i dont see how people are expecting much better results this yr. The bright side is that it at least cant get much worse so there is that to look forward to. Lol.

We’ll probably rank in bottom ten in sacks again unless Hughes has a resurgance and Shaq somehow figures things out. 

Our run D should be amazing this yr though. 

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I thought Star had a name as a run stuffer and a guy who could "keep the LB clean", not a pass rusher

I would assume that a big body who eats blockers would free up LBS for pass rushing though.

Really depends on the scheme.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think there’s an easy case to be made that poyer had a better overall season than Hyde. Just as many picks, more tackles and 2 sacks to Hyde’s none. 

Hyde had the hot start for a surprise team to his advantage.  He cooled off a bit over the 2nd half and honestly by the end of the year I think poyer had put together the more impressive season. 

I can def agree with this.