Plane Crash.....What a ****ty day

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The plane is a 737-200, over 38 years in service.  Not saying that's bad but you have to question how it has been maintained?  That model 737 has not been used by any US airlines since the late 90's to very early 2000's.

So Cuban planes are almost as old as the cars they use there?

Not 737 related, but i always wanted to get a look in one of those old Soviet IL's.

My last month on the 757-767, I was in Caracas and a Cubana IL-62 ws at an adjoining gate, so I figured what the heck, I'll see if I can get in.

The plane was already loaded and ready for departure, but they had about ten minutes, so they let me in the cockpit.

Absolutely amazing.

Four guys in the cockpit and it looked like something out of the 30's.

Great conversation with them, but what a piece of trash.

Always got a kick out of watching them land.

They would often deploy the thrust reversers prior to touchdown, at about five feet.

Bizarre.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

First the school shooting. Now this. Rough day indeed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna875476

"Among the difficulties created by the U.S. trade embargo is our inability to acquire latest-generation aircraft with technology capable of guaranteeing the stability of aerial operations," Hernández said. "Another factor is obtaining parts for Cubana's aircraft."

Blaming US when they could just buy from other countries who WILL sell them airplanes.

43 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Blaming US when they could just buy from other countries who WILL sell them airplanes.

The airplane was being leased from a Mexican company, and was crewed by Mexican nationals if early reports are true, so depending on the lease agreement, the embargo isn't a factor.

Still, Cubana is the Cuban flag carrier. If they can't operate safely, don't operate. 

On May 18, 2018 at 3:11 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

First the school shooting. Now this. Rough day indeed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna875476

Over 3,000 people die every single day in the USA in automotive accidents, but it's not reported, ever, nor are all the accidents/deaths tallied up as a single "event".  

100 deaths in a plane crash (worst in 30 years in Cuba) is not so bad, statistically speaking.

It's just dramatic so it seems horrible.

12 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Over 3,000 people die every single day in the USA in automotive accidents, but it's not reported, ever, nor are all the accidents/deaths tallied up as a single "event".  

100 deaths in a plane crash (worst in 30 years in Cuba) is not so bad, statistically speaking.

It's just dramatic so it seems horrible.

Could say the same thing about school shootings.

It's dramatic, so it seems terrible, but it's statistically insignificant.