The Biggest Whiffs In Buffalo Bills History

Interesting topic from WGR this morning.  Jeremy White was talking abou the biggest whiffs in Buffalo sports history since 2000.  He used both the Bills and Sabres but for the sake of this discussion we’ll focus on just the Bills.

Remember a whiff doesn’t necessarily have to be all draft busts.  It more about getting some of the really big and important decisions completely wrong.  Also it’s important to consider the negative impact on the organization.  For example, signing Shawn Merriman was a whiff, but it didn’t really impact the team that much.

Here are my choices and I keep everything current so this is only since 2000.  

Hiring Rex Ryan - this was JW’s top choice and mine as well.  Rex did some major damage in Buffalo.  Terrible hire.

Trading for Sammy Watkins - this was an agressive move by a bad GM that backfired.  Whaley basically pushed all his chip to the table and gambled with this move on both Sammy and EJ.  He’s now out of a job.  This move was so reckless it drives me nuts

Re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick to a long-term deal 

Prospector Buddy Nix thought he found gold...except it was fool’s gold.  The quick decision to extend Fitz, committed the team to a QB that was a fringe starter and resulted in them passing on other choices like drafting Russell Wilson.  This was the start of QB purgatory.

Drafting CJ Spiller

This was a foolish move when the team had 2 good RB’s in Fred and Marshawn Lynch.  CJ also never turned out to be much as a starting RB.  

Marv Levy as GM

A terrible and selfish choice by Ralph Wilson.  This move would ramp the drought into high gear.  

Lets hear some of your choices!

• Like (+1) 1

I'll add a few more:

Picking Rob Johnson over Flutie.  As much as you hate Flutie, he found ways to win games that were beyond Buffalo's offense without him.

Letting Pat Williams go in free agency.  Defense went downhill after that move.

Choosing JP Losman in draft instead of moving up a couple spots to get Roethlisburger.

Drafting EJ.

I'll stop there as the list goes on and on.

• Like (+1) 1

Losman, Rex, Maybin, Sammy for sure.

I'd also add in signing Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery to big contracts at the same time.

Good call upthread on letting Pat Williams walk for what turned out to be barely $1mil difference.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Rob Johnson.

This is an underrated choice that not many people remember because of the success of Flutie for a few season.

But the Bills traded a #1 and #3 for a QB with very little experience.  In hindsight they gave up a lot for a very average QB

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

This is an underrated choice that not many people remember because of the success of Flutie for a few season.

But the Bills traded a #1 and #3 for a QB with very little experience.  In hindsight they gave up a lot for a very average QB

Average? He sucked. :) He was all about protecting his stats.

Edited by Sky Diver

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Losman, Rex, Maybin, Sammy for sure.

I'd also add in signing Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery to big contracts at the same time.

Good call upthread on letting Pat Williams walk for what turned out to be barely $1mil difference.

What made it worse was our OC, was it Alex Van Pelt, that decided we were going to use the hurry up offense, since it worked so well 20 years ago with Jim Kelly...poor Walker, it almost killed him, total mismatch of players to scheme. That decision to try the hurry up since Edwards was supposedly so smart and could run it was a total joke.

Tom Ruud and Bob Nelson, two high LB picks from Nebraska in 1975...neither panned out.

Tom Cousineau of course is on the list, but when we traded him to the Browns, the draft pick we got in return was used to draft Jim Kelly.

Perry Tuttle also belongs on the list.

Al "This is AC Damn It!" Cowlings is another.

And letting Bill Polian go was a huge mistake.

• Like (+1) 2

Trading for Bledsoe should maybe get honorable mention here.  You have to think that if a division rival is willing to let a QB come to you there are question marks.  It was not the worst trade ever but one that certainly is on a list of those that did not turn out well. 

Drafting of Mike Williams belongs on this list also.  

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting topic from WGR this morning.  Jeremy White was talking abou the biggest whiffs in Buffalo sports history since 2000.  He used both the Bills and Sabres but for the sake of this discussion we’ll focus on just the Bills.

Only whinge I have is you should add "since 2000" to the title, not "in Bills history", since that is the parameters of the discussion. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Drafting of Mike Williams belongs on this list also.  

Jeremy White tried to argue that he didnt have Williams on the list because he was actually productive for a couple seasons, but I tend to disagree with that and think he should be on the list as well.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

27 minutes ago, chef4131 said:

over drafting of JP Losman, giving up the next years first rounder cost us a chance to draft Aaron Rodgers 

Didn't dawn on me that we could have had Rodgers with the pick in the following year's draft.  Now if you'll excuse me, I have some bleach to drink.

Edited by OrtonHearsaWho
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Jeremy White was talking about the biggest whiffs in Buffalo sports history

A lot of whiffs have been hired at WGR. I use to listen to them occasionally and in short doses, but when I retired I started listening longer.

Ugh ! It's like listening to teens and young 20.y.o.'s. The egos,  monotony and bar stool  knowledge got tiresome quickly.  

Edited by Ifartalot
  • Like (+1) 1