The Biggest Whiffs In Buffalo Bills History

On 5/18/2018 at 9:22 AM, BuffaloBillies said:

This averages 4.8 yards too.

You give him too much credit. Where are all the negative runs?

On 5/18/2018 at 7:32 AM, BuffaloRush said:

Trading for Sammy Watkins - this was an agressive move by a bad GM that backfired. 

Well.. we could still have him. Had the highest grade since AJ Green, although I wanted Mike  Evans, Watkins  was really talented. rather trade for talent than whiff that 1 on Aaron maybin. 

Really makes ya think which 1st round pick was worse

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

4 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Look, I haven't scrolled through this entire thread but a lot of people are mentioning guys who may have been whiffs but weren't bad picks at the time.  Mike Williams was the right pick at the time. 

Sorry but allow me to politely say that I could not disagree more.

Coming out of college, Mike Williams was an overweight right tackle with a chronic ankle injury. Bad ankles and/or feet are bad for any player, let alone a 360 pound man. Bryant McKinney was still there at #4 and he had a long, distinguished career, his off the field problems and questionable attitude notwithstanding. McKinney was a far better player in college and the NFL than Williams and he played left tackle, a much harder position to fill.

McKinney, imho, was definitely the pick and I was screaming for the Bills to draft him way back when.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

I like the OP selections a lot except I think the CJ Spiller was a bit harsh though, CJ was not a terrible player, he had one incredible year, 1200 yds rushing averaging 6 yd/carry plus 450 yds receiving, had a few very good years as well.

Even though that particular draft was one of the worst ever,  drafting Spiller that early was unthinkably stupid. He was a small, fumbling, bumbling scat back who wasn't even what some would consider a full time back in college, NOT a top 10 draft pick.

I would think that even in a weak draft there are offers to trade down. They should have done so before making such an incredible waste of a pick with Spiller. Even if they stood pat and took Bulaga it would have made more sense than a miniature scat back at #9.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Thinking Lonnie Johnson belonged in the NFL.

Something random...do you happen to remember the play where Lonnie decided that it was a good idea to look behind him for a while and was absolutely obliterated by a player that was...not behind him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Lots of great comments, ignoring the many  draft mistakes the handling of coaches and front office has been a mess and is the driving reason for the Bills overall poor history. 

60’s - trading Lamonica and Hiring Rausch 

70’s - Harvey Johnson twice, Saban quitting again,  Jim Ringo,  Stew Barber. 

80’s - interfering with Knox, hiring Kay and Hank 

90’s - chasing out Polian, then Butler, then Wade

00’s -  not one good move to stabilize FO, Donahoe, Marv, Brandon, and a bunch of bad coaches

10’s - Unqualified Nix as GM, less qualified Whaley, hiring Rex. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Most receint is letting TT play our only Playoff game in 17 years.  ARRRRRG!

Yeah.  You need to start Peterman on the road against a great defense in that situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:24 AM, Irv said:

Spending money to upgrade a stadium that should have been replaced 20 years ago.  That's the biggest whiff. 

Bills did not spend it. Most of it anyway.

5 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Lots of great comments, ignoring the many  draft mistakes the handling of coaches and front office has been a mess and is the driving reason for the Bills overall poor history. 

60’s - trading Lamonica and Hiring Rausch 

70’s - Harvey Johnson twice, Saban quitting again,  Jim Ringo,  Stew Barber. 

80’s - interfering with Knox, hiring Kay and Hank 

90’s - chasing out Polian, then Butler, then Wade

00’s -  not one good move to stabilize FO, Donahoe, Marv, Brandon, and a bunch of bad coaches

10’s - Unqualified Nix as GM, less qualified Whaley, hiring Rex. 

....nicely done my friend......won;t find a BETTER synopsis than this......

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, B Fan in LA said:

2005 was a bad year.

Tom Donahoe fired Gregg Williams and replace him with Mike Mularkey

Then, there was the draft................

2005 Draft.jpg

Yes. And to top it all off the best player from that draft was Lionel Gates who they cut at end of preseason.(he was best player on field when playing pre season) to keep worthless washed up Anthony Thomas A-Train who Jauron signed after having him on Bears.

4 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Clearly he did belong in the NFL.  He was not an All-Pro by any means but did have several productive seasons.  Numbers don’t lie

5 touchdowns in 5 years. You're right. Numbers don't lie.

Edited by Golden Goat
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/18/2018 at 9:05 AM, Mopreme said:

Not resigning Jason Peters.  

Actually, the bills did re-sign him. Did not renegotiate after that. We did pick up Eric Wood with the pick that we traded him for, so it wasn't as big a mistake as others on the list. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Something random...do you happen to remember the play where Lonnie decided that it was a good idea to look behind him for a while and was absolutely obliterated by a player that was...not behind him.

If the result was him basically getting clotheslined, then yes. ? 

• Haha (+1) 1