The Biggest Whiffs In Buffalo Bills History

1. Buddy Nix getting recorded; which led to the separation with Fitz. Fitz with those defenses would have gotten the Bills to 10-11 wins imo.

2. The RB situation. Trade Lynch for little. Draft Spiller early. Meanwhile Fred is the lead back.

3. Firing Wade Phillips.

4. Drafting Losman. Bledsoe was still around and that pick could have been Rodgers

5. Drafting Allen over Rosen

Sabres: Drury/Briere, not giving Peca more money, matching Edmonton's Offer Sheet on Vanek, Tim Murray, The Kane Trade

7 hours ago, artmalibu said:

I dont think Fitz should be on the list.  We havent had a QB as good as him since.  With him the playoff drought would have ended sooner!!!

Wrong Fitz was never allowed to make the playoffs b.c the second he would be in position he would throw many INTs to make sure he couldn't.

17 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

This is an underrated choice that not many people remember because of the success of Flutie for a few season.

But the Bills traded a #1 and #3 for a QB with very little experience.  In hindsight they gave up a lot for a very average QB

At least it stopped them from Billy Volek?

8 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Not retaining Winfield really chapped me.

Dick Jauron insisting on A Train over Fred Ex.

Oh I forgot about that, or the wound healed.

I was livid when they let Winfield go. He had awful hands, but he was exceptional at everything else. Clements was a play maker but got beat a lot. Winfield was a solid tackler, came up in run support and consistently put himself in position to make picks, just dropped them. Yet rarely seemed to get beat.

• Like (+1) 1

The firing of Polian...followed by...

The firings of John Butler and Wade Phillips and then subsequent hiring of Tom Donahoe and Greg Williams. That started the drought!

But, I guess those are really more mistakes (by Ralph) than whiffs. The true definition of whiff would have to be Mike Williams. Getting absolutely nothing out of a #4 overall non-QB pick is a major strike out. I guess you could make a case for Tom Cousineau, since he went #1 overall, but at least he was a good player (though not for the Bills) and he garnered the Bills the draft pick that would land Kelly. Sammy has to be in the conversation too for what they gave up for him and where he ended up being drafted. And trade-wise, you can include Rob Johnson. But I think Mike Williams has to be #1 whiff.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

I agree that Tom Donahoe was a better GM than Marv, Buddy, and Doug, although I didn't like him when he was here.

Tom Donahoe didn't crawl into a hole and disappear after he was fired in Buffalo.

He's now working for the Philadelphia Eagles as the Senior Director of Player Personnel and just won a Super Bowl.

Marv Levy spends his days looking for his glasses, Buddy Nix is trying to remember where he put his phone, and Doug Whaley

is probably going to a shrink to figure out why nobody likes him.

Taking swipes at two guys because they are elderly?    Really?  That is all you got?  The smog in LA has fogged up your brain. 

15 hours ago, JOSH HUFF said:
2000 - BUFFALO BILLS

Draft 

RD

SEL #

PLAYER

POSITION

SCHOOL

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State
2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech
3 89 Corey Moore OLB Virginia Tech
4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State
5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech
6 194 Leif Larsen DT Texas-El Paso
7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo
7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

Yikes!!!

Corey could have been something under Wade Phillips, but dumb dumb Grego tried to make him a 43 LB and shooting himself in the leg ended it all.

Guy was a machine at VA Tech.

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

That draft killed the bills for some years

Sooooo many have.

14 hours ago, Jobot said:

Rogers and Brady in the same division would of been something

and Peyton Manning if the Colts didn't switch divisions.

14 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

Everything the Bills did between 2000 and 2017 was a whiff. Trying to rank the unending bad decisions made during that time is an impossible task.

Hopefully the franchise has turned the corner.

No, 2017 is there year we hired McDermott and Beane and is the beginning of greatness.

Look, I haven't scrolled through this entire thread but a lot of people are mentioning guys who may have been whiffs but weren't bad picks at the time.  Mike Williams was the right pick at the time.  Aaron Maybin was not a crazy pick at the time- that's right around where he was slated to go.  I was psyched about the Losman and Manuel picks- neither of them were crazy.  CJ Spiller was considered by many the best player in the draft and had a season for us in which he averaged 6 yards a carry.

There are two picks that are absolutely 100% inexcusable.  They were stretches for guys who they could've got rounds later, while passing up the no-brainer, slam dunk guy at a position of need, who had slipped and was staring them right in the face, and ended up going right after:

Torrell Troup over Rob Gronkowski

TJ Graham over Russell Wilson

Those are the two picks that could have reversed the fortunes of this franchise.  Period, end of story.

8 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Look, I haven't scrolled through this entire thread but a lot of people are mentioning guys who may have been whiffs but weren't bad picks at the time.  Mike Williams was the right pick at the time.  Aaron Maybin was not a crazy pick at the time- that's right around where he was slated to go.  I was psyched about the Losman and Manuel picks- neither of them were crazy.  CJ Spiller was considered by many the best player in the draft and had a season for us in which he averaged 6 yards a carry.

There are two picks that are absolutely 100% inexcusable.  They were stretches for guys who they could've got rounds later, while passing up the no-brainer, slam dunk guy at a position of need, who had slipped and was staring them right in the face, and ended up going right after:

Torrell Troup over Rob Gronkowski

TJ Graham over Russell Wilson

Those are the two picks that could have reversed the fortunes of this franchise.  Period, end of story.

Maybin was drafted 5 years too early for the wrong defense but he did SUCK.

CJ Spiller was drafted in the worst era for RB's when we had a HoFer and WoFer on the roster.  It was a blunder for sure.

Hiring a career 31-42 NFL coach to lead a team with a Pro Bowl roster on both sides of the ball.

29 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Maybin was drafted 5 years too early for the wrong defense but he did SUCK.

CJ Spiller was drafted in the worst era for RB's when we had a HoFer and WoFer on the roster.  It was a blunder for sure.

I liked when Maybin said he'd put on weight if HE felt he needed to.

The 2010 draft was a joke.  Right after Nix says "we're not that far away", they waste their first 2 picks on arguably our strongest positions.  Flush!

1 hour ago, Buffalo86 said:

Hiring a career 31-42 NFL coach to lead a team with a Pro Bowl roster on both sides of the ball.

I liked when Maybin said he'd put on weight if HE felt he needed to.

The 2010 draft was a joke.  Right after Nix says "we're not that far away", they waste their first 2 picks on arguably our strongest positions.  Flush!

In fairness to Chan, he believed he could scheme an offense to hide his QB and WR deficiencies.  He wasn't entirely wrong.   By the numbers, he squeezed out an above average offensive unit with basically undrafted guys.   Offensive TO's and our D killed us.  Would we have fared better with another WR from that 2010 class?  No.  And schematically, I don't know if another pass rusher was the answer either.  We were 3-4 pieces away on both sides of the ball.

11 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

In fairness to Chan, he believed he could scheme an offense to hide his QB and WR deficiencies.  He wasn't entirely wrong.   By the numbers, he squeezed out an above average offensive unit with basically undrafted guys.   Offensive TO's and our D killed us.  Would we have fared better with another WR from that 2010 class?  No.  And schematically, I don't know if another pass rusher was the answer either.  We were 3-4 pieces away on both sides of the ball.

You're right; we were 3-4 pieces (or even more) away on both sides of the ball.  If those 2 picks worked out, we still would've been in the same spot, given the presence of Jackson, Lynch, & Kyle Williams.  I know the old "Lynch didn't want to be here" argument very well, but I always believed Lynch didn't want to be here because we showed zero commitment to fielding a winning team.  Who wants to go down with a sinking ship every year?  

1 hour ago, Buffalo86 said:

You're right; we were 3-4 pieces (or even more) away on both sides of the ball.  If those 2 picks worked out, we still would've been in the same spot, given the presence of Jackson, Lynch, & Kyle Williams.  I know the old "Lynch didn't want to be here" argument very well, but I always believed Lynch didn't want to be here because we showed zero commitment to fielding a winning team.  Who wants to go down with a sinking ship every year?  

Whaley did, with his terrible decisions.