The Biggest Whiffs In Buffalo Bills History

23 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Yeah but it was and remains a colossal error in judgment to have selected him 9th overall, notwithstanding his upside which you nicely summarize.

I really like the OP's examples.  Not sure what I could add to his list in terms of whiffs with the same magnitude.

Can't overstate what mistakes EJ, Sammy, and Rex were.  

I think as a second rd pick cJ would have been fine, i just think as far as the multiple number of whiffs the Bills have had I dont think CJ in rd 1 would make my top 50.  Just look only at some of the 1st rds we have had, just since 2000, Mike Williams, Aaron Maybin, Erik Flowers, EJ Manuel, JP Losman..none of these guys should have been drafted at all

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

6 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Tom Ruud and Bob Nelson, two high LB picks from Nebraska in 1975...neither panned out.

Nelson, though, had some real good years for the Raiders.

I know his son a little bit and Bob and Tom are still real good friends. 

6 hours ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

I'll add a few more:

Picking Rob Johnson over Flutie.  As much as you hate Flutie, he found ways to win games that were beyond Buffalo's offense without him.

Letting Pat Williams go in free agency.  Defense went downhill after that move.

Choosing JP Losman in draft instead of moving up a couple spots to get Roethlisburger.

Drafting EJ.

I'll stop there as the list goes on and on.

Nobody chose LOSEman over Ben.

I believe it had been confirmed we had a trade in place with the Texans, who pulled back at the last minute because they really wanted a CB, and their #1 choice was taken, and they didn't want to miss on their #2 CB choice, Robinson I believe.

(Similar to our Denver trade this year that was pulled back when Chubb slipped, although we still got the guy we wanted)

JP was a panic reach after Ben, our target, was gone, but we would have had him with the Texans trade, ahead of Pittsburgh, if things had played the way we wanted.

For recent Bills history, it starts and ends with the Rex hire. No FO decision on an individual player had as much of an impact on our team as a whole as Rex's horrible tenure here. We're lucky we a) got out of it quickly and b) ended up getting on heck of a coach in his place.

9 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting topic from WGR this morning.  Jeremy White was talking abou the biggest whiffs in Buffalo sports history since 2000.  He used both the Bills and Sabres but for the sake of this discussion we’ll focus on just the Bills.

Remember a whiff doesn’t necessarily have to be all draft busts.  It more about getting some of the really big and important decisions completely wrong.  Also it’s important to consider the negative impact on the organization.  For example, signing Shawn Merriman was a whiff, but it didn’t really impact the team that much.

Here are my choices and I keep everything current so this is only since 2000.  

Hiring Rex Ryan - this was JW’s top choice and mine as well.  Rex did some major damage in Buffalo.  Terrible hire.

Trading for Sammy Watkins - this was an agressive move by a bad GM that backfired.  Whaley basically pushed all his chip to the table and gambled with this move on both Sammy and EJ.  He’s now out of a job.  This move was so reckless it drives me nuts

Re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick to a long-term deal 

Prospector Buddy Nix thought he found gold...except it was fool’s gold.  The quick decision to extend Fitz, committed the team to a QB that was a fringe starter and resulted in them passing on other choices like drafting Russell Wilson.  This was the start of QB purgatory.

Drafting CJ Spiller

This was a foolish move when the team had 2 good RB’s in Fred and Marshawn Lynch.  CJ also never turned out to be much as a starting RB.  

Marv Levy as GM

A terrible and selfish choice by Ralph Wilson.  This move would ramp the drought into high gear.  

Lets hear some of your choices!

Nice list! What strikes me is the one that made the most sense was Fitz. That's just sad.

I have a few to toss in:

1) The 2006 draft, even though they lucked into Kyle Williams, who was probably taken as an afterthought.

2) Not keeping Jason Peters.

3) Leotis McKelvin in round 1.

4) Giving Derrick Dockery (as I recall) a 48 million dollar contract.

7 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Was Tom Donahoe any worse than Marv Levy, Buddy Nix or Doug Whaley?  He wasn’t probably equally as bad.  I don’t think that you can he turned everything team back 20 years.  

I feel that out of the GM’s from 2001-2017, Donahoe might have been the best - Which again isn’t saying much. 

I agree that Tom Donahoe was a better GM than Marv, Buddy, and Doug, although I didn't like him when he was here.

Tom Donahoe didn't crawl into a hole and disappear after he was fired in Buffalo.

He's now working for the Philadelphia Eagles as the Senior Director of Player Personnel and just won a Super Bowl.

Marv Levy spends his days looking for his glasses, Buddy Nix is trying to remember where he put his phone, and Doug Whaley

is probably going to a shrink to figure out why nobody likes him.

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Come from behind drive with a beautiful TD pass to Moulds. Flutie apologists seem to forget DCs figured him out and he needed to sit.

Huh?

He didn't throw any TD passes in that game.

His 134 yd, 3 fumble, and 6 sack performance (one for a safety) was impressive; I just don't think it's enough to crown his ass.

Edited by Rob's House

16 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Huh?

He didn't throw any TD passes in that game.

His 134 yd, 3 fumble, and 6 sack performance (one for a safety) was impressive; I just don't think it's enough to crown his ass.

That's right, but he did throw a couple long passes to Moulds to setup scores. And with one shoe on he completed a key pass to get as close enough for the field goal to take the lead. Johnson wasn't grea, but Steve McNair was worse and was held to only 76 yards passing. It was a defensive game all the way. I think Flutie would have got stuffed.

15 hours ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

I'll add a few more:

Picking Rob Johnson over Flutie.  As much as you hate Flutie, he found ways to win games that were beyond Buffalo's offense without him.

Letting Pat Williams go in free agency.  Defense went downhill after that move.

Choosing JP Losman in draft instead of moving up a couple spots to get Roethlisburger.

Drafting EJ.

I'll stop there as the list goes on and on.

EJ Manuel sucked.

EJ Manuel was a perfectly fine pick at the time.  It was literally the worst draft ever and they had already traded back.  It’s not like they missed out on someone else.  I’d even go so far as to say it was a good pick at the time.

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 1